Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The new Zero SR *really* buttered my muffin

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Loz, May 13, 2014.

1. http://www.gizmag.com/zero-sr-2014-electric-motorcycle-review-test-ride/32015/

Working on a video review too.

This bike really spun my head around. They haven't got a whole lot in the country as yet, but if any of y'all get a chance to throw a leg over and go around the block, it's a real glimpse of a silent future that absolutely knocked my socks off.

Best thing is, they're only going to get better... the pace of development on these things has been extraordinary so far. I'm a bit excited. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. It looks like an amazing bit of kit, however I hate being bent over and reamed just for living in Australia. They're overpriced.

I was waiting for the release of them here, looked at the price of them in other markets and just laughed when I saw the Aussie prices. It made me think of that oft repeated quote from "The Castle".

"Tell him he's dreamin'"

3. It's around about the standard Aussie tax, I guess. We get reamed on all bike prices. That's what you get for living in a massive, isolated country with a tiny, spread out population. Either way, the battery is more than half the total price, and as those develop and come down, we can expect the equation to look better.

4. Good write-up, mate, right down to the subtle inference on the death of the old ZX!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bonus points for the first person to take one of these to a track day :D.

6. It's been done, they shot a promo video at Laguna Seca. This thing would be a hoot around Broadford!

7. The equation will only look better when the distributors don't add the Australia tax. Location has little to do with it.

Car's manufactured in Australia get sold in the US for less than we can buy them for here.

8. Living in Sydney, but really liking Phillip Island track, I have, on several occasions, gotten a pass out from the Boss for a couple of days, ridden down to P.I. in one day, done a track day the next, and returned home on the third day.

On first quick estimation, I'd need a fortnight's holiday to take one of these to P.I. and back, and that's assuming each motel on the way had a handy power point.

Still, it would leave plenty time for beer on the trip! ;-)

9. I found this bit interesting, "under current Australian road laws for example, every electric bike is learner-legal", and had a little chuckle at the same time. "The Zero puts out just under 70 peak horsepower (50 kW) and a monstrous 106 ft-lbs (144 Nm) of torque." Makes those arguments about which bike, (LAMS?) Something-or-other vs litre bike would be quickest to 60 kmh completely irrelevant! (There was a thread with this or similar discussion.)

Good review, and I think that plug in electric vehicles are going to factor hugely in our short to medium range future.

Ross

10. #10 MV, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    I've been quietly excited about electric bikes for a while, good to know a hoon such as yourself approves Loz. The future looks bright, looking forward to the video!

Edit: Oh yeah, will it wheelie?

11. I've always been of the opinion that torque, rather than power, characteristics are what make a bike fun to ride quickly (note, I said fun, not possible). I've also always maintained that a torquey power unit can do a pretty good impression of a powerful one but the reverse is not necessarily the case. Properly developed electrics have that all sewn up versus ic engines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I will miss the exhaust note on these bikes of the future. It's one of those visceral things about riding a bike that effect the senses and that I really enjoy.
    Other than that they seem like they will be a good thing once technological advances allow better recharge times and more klms between them.

13. #13 Loz, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
    I've seen it done, but to my shame I couldn't get one up in the limited time I had to try it. I'm a clutch wheelie guy, and this has no clutch - and the roll off-roll on method is less effective when there's no engine braking to load up the forks. So I think you need to have stand-up wheelie skills to bounce this one up.

Me too - but riding this thing, I realised the main reason I want engine noise is so I can make sure I'm in the right gear. And if there's no gears, the noise is irrelevant. When you're effortlessly accelerating like a dozen hairy bastards, you don't miss the noise at all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. As with Pavlovs dog, eventually we will be salivating at the turbine sound as the engine spins up & we're thrown toward the scenery. It is inevitable. I will miss downshifts though :D

• Like Like x 2
  15. Like a lot of people, I have been following the progress of these bikes.
    Current plan is to look seriously in 3-4 years time (before my 5 year warranty expires on the KTM) and see where they are at.
    By then the battery technology and prices may be where they need to be, and eventually the greenies will get their way and dilute our petrol anyway.

16. Seems like it can utilise kers to partly recharge the battery on the go?

17. This.

18. Yes, but I'm not sure that the regenerative braking system really puts that much back into the battery. It does a bit - but really, using this bike around town, range is just not an issue.

19. How about towing a wee trailer with a Honda Genset on it, running flat out to feed electricity to the bike?

Maybe add a solar panel or two over the Genset too.

20. Bike plus trailer.....
    Or a decent ic donk?
    Seems like you have just gone full circle and made it worse in the process