Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The new Epping to Chatswood rail line

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Zenyatta_Mondatta, Mar 2, 2009.

1. I took my maiden voyage on the new Epping to Chatswood rail line this morning. I note the following for those of you that are curious:p

when you come down to the platform there's an escalator that takes you down again. Then you walk along a bit underground then there's another even longer escalator, and whilst i was standing there going down, due to the setup of the tunnel i was in, I had the weirdest sensation, as though i wasn't actually travelling down but I was travelling on the straight and that I should lean forward to maintain balance. Totally spun me out and I think someone will fall over!! I found it was even weirder going UP the escalator!! felt like I was gonna fall backwards. Those of you with vertigo - beware!!

They are using millenium trains for the time being, with trains leaving every 15 minutes from the platform. The train travels quite fast and you feel a few weird sensations as you firstly go downhill a little, then up. You have no idea where you are other than the indicator board on the train which says what station is coming up. It's 17 minutes to Chatswood with stops at Macquarie Uni, Macquarie Park and North Ryde (I thought it was meant to be called Delhi Rd but the obviously changed their minds). Anyway - It's free until sometime early June, i think, but overall a pleasant cityrail experience!!! I highly recommend.

Just be careful of those escalators! haha.....
  2. the steep descents and rises cause a lot of problems with the old trains, thats why they arent running on that line.
  3. I have been travelling on this line to uni. The escalators do trip me out a fair bit, the platforms are seriusly far enough underground for a nuclear bunker! Its fre until 4 June I believe woot! :grin:
  4. yeah I have been gettnig off at north ryde station to go to work while im bikeless, the descent is crazy :) I now know where to hide if we get nuked!
  5. Might be time for another trip back to Sydney!

God my life is boring.
  6. I thought it was the other way around. the noise in the tunnel was causing problems with the older trains.

I guess they got the newer trains to work.
  7. you're right.

so many freakin problems with sydneys trains I got them confused.
  8. I tried it for the first time this morning. Totally agree about the weird feeling on the escalators.

Overall: Thumbs up from me. It shaved several minutes off my trip time to St Leonards, despite having to change trains twice, and was generally less crowded (that might change though).

I'm looking forward to when it gets fully integrated into the timetable; meant to happen in November... but not holding my breath.
  9. lol with a 2 year blown out finish date i gotta agree with you there :)

it had so much problems with the noise and the depth level to go under lane cover river with not many trains configured to be able to operate safely on the inclines/declines
  10. now for some trains to castle hill, kellyville, rouse hill, take some traffic off the 1 way in, 1 way out roads, shocking
  11. I agree. We need a better integrated network to reach more people in the west/north west. This Epping/Chatswood line needs to join up to Parramatta/Carlingford. At the moment it's very awkward to get from the North shore/Northern to Parra/Carlo/anything else out that way.