Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Motorcycle Wave

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Aug 9, 2005.

1. from miamihog.org no further comment from me
    The Motorcycle Wave

Our recent trip down south brought back a lot of memories. There were friends, sweet tea (it just isn't the same in the north), and our old house.

But what really got me was the motorcycles. I've had one for about 10 years, and for the last three and a half it's been sitting in the shed, defeated by old age and a rider who doesn't want to spend the time, energy or money on fixing it.

Around here, I only miss my '78 Honda in the Spring when they all come out of hibernation. Down south, people ride them year round. Driving around the southern highways, watching all those bikes... you miss it.

When we came back north, I saw some bikers pass each other and then noticed the thing I might miss most about riding a motorcycle -- the motorcycle wave.

The motorcycle wave is something nearly all bikers do even if they don't think about it. It is a simple to-the-side flick of the wrist imperceptible to most motorists but understood by bikers. It's like a secret handshake.

The wave varies from make to make as well (at least in the south where I did most of my riding). Harley riders lower their hand to their side and point the index finger to the ground. BMW riders barely lift their hand from the handlebar. And Honda riders, that friendly bunch, give an outright wave almost like a high five, when they pass each other. I'm not sure if I've ever seen kids on those bullet bikes wave -- they may be in too much of a hurry.

There are some who won't wave to riders on different makes, but for the most part, there is a community of motorcycle riders.

And that is the point ...

So, even as I drive down the road in a mini-van with kids in the back, I look at those bikers and their motorcycle wave and smile. Even on a machine built to carry one, they are a community.[/i]
  2. Probably trying to make passing Harleys aware of the fact they have an oil leak.
  3. bloody "kids on those bullet bikes"!

bwaaahahaha I love old codgers being sentimental
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  4. nasty, jd :LOL: and Dan, a little less of the old codger stuff, if you please. :D
  5. my mistake. old farts
  6. Excellent article, and almost-excellent comments.
  7. Haha!
  8. My dad once told me....
    "Old people should be killed at birth".
    :LOL: :roll:
  9. Good artical , remember reading quite a while ago.
  10. Gosh, we are a friendly bunch arn't we.I think it's worth having the notion that honda riders excel in excessive friendlyness enshrined in some sort of governmental document that requires we be consulted on all matters that need a friendly perspective :idea: Or, mabey it's late and I'm just tired :-k :D
  11. You've gotta be a friendly bunch if you own bikes like that - visiting all your friendly pals in the service yard. ;)

PS. I can't really talk at the moment, lets just say the Yammy's getting a boob job, and a re-plumb. ;)

PPS. Uh oh, i think we're out numbered in this thread... there's only 2 posts from Yammy owners (myself included)... and one from a Suz..zu....zu... ah you know. :twisted:

*ducks and runs for cover*
  12. :LOL:

Smooth call.
  13. Another smooth call. I agree
    The original Honda advertising campaign when they were first released in the United States and here (c1964) was..."You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda" and it's STILL true.
  14. Well, you said it buddy!!

Hondas have always been the best built and the most reliable. We have plenty of time to ride our bikes because they're not in the shop all the time like some OTHER marques!!!

15. Well, as far as I know, no-one has ever written a song about a Kawasaki, or a Norton, or a Hyosung, or a Suz, (well, you know), but back in the sixties the Beach Boys, no less wrote and sang a song about ..... a Honda.

It’s not a big motorcycle
    Just a groovy little motorbike
    It’s more fun that a barrel of monkeys
    That two wheel bike
    We’ll ride on out of the town
    To any place I know you like

It climbs the hills like a matchless
    Cause my honda’s built really light
    When I go into the turns
    Lean [tilt] with me and hang on tight
    I better turn on the lights
    So we can ride my honda tonight

SO THERE!!!!! (Who'da thunk it, an old Yammie-giggle rider singing the praises of Honda?)
  16. Machine Gun Fellatio did a song about, well, riders..
  17. That's a bit too recent for me, Dan, my listening to current music coughed out around 1975, I've been living the past (hah, Jethro Tull album and song) ever since!
  18. Honda riders. We ARE a friendly bunch, I'll agree to that. GiXXers... well... :p