Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The monster is finally repaired

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Kaer, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 4 months after getting her at auction the monster is finally repaired.

Just got the Blue Slip done, but the RTA wants to have a look at her to make sure all the plates are right. I think the fact the power went from 24 to 44 raised a few warning bells (took the restrictor off).

It's happening next wednesday morning. 1 day short of being more than 7 working days, which would mean I wouldn't have had to do it and got registered then and there.

Major thanks to Glitch_oz who was trying to find my final part for me as well. Thankfully the importers finally looked behind their couch and found me one (or they got sick of the call every month).

No plates on her, got the green slip, so I'm allowed to ride her home from the mechanic & from home to the RTA.

I'll do a post sometime about the whole adventure. I have to crunch the numbers, but I'm either just under or just over if I just bought an undamaged bike. Although finding a 6 month old bike with 2400 on the clock is a big ask.

There's also some slightly damaged spairs I'll flog off on ebay and see if we can recoup some losses.

Now I just need to clear my schedule next weekend....

2. Nice nice....got any pics?

3. This has been a longer saga than Blue Hills, I'm tickled that it's reached the final chapter!!!!!

4. Duuuuuude!!!!

Way cool. Congrats on making it work.

CHAMPION! 8)

5. No pics yet, but stay tuned :)

6. you bought it at auction? was it a repairable write off? looking forward to hearing the whole story behind this bike

7. i saw brad's ducati today and it looks wicked... :twisted:

(funny thing is i always pictured it as being black when in reality it's red)

8. hey kaer congratulations on getting the monster fixed, should be great.

i was also thinking about getting the monster cause its LAMS. please tell us what kind of difference taking the restrictor makes to the power of the bike. i'm very interested!

9. Well done, take my hat off to any one that tackles a project like this. Interesting to see how the financial numbers work out, but rebuilding a bike would be half the fun.

10. Since this has been put into the new section, I better update it :)

Now this was about 6 months ago now.

All up cost me $9400 for a 2004 Ducati Monster 620ie with 2400 on the clock, and 6 months old at the time. This includes all inspections etc (including sales tax), but not rego & greenslip.

That's also not including the modifications I did to after (termi pipes, risers, gps mount, saddlebags, tank protector etc).

So all up, saved maybe a grand. But also remembering that fact it's a repairable write-off is now stamped on the rego, is going to make her a little harder to sell.

I've still got a minor ding in the tank to get magneted out, but I've been slack.

Would I do it again? Yep. For the project, not the savings.

Lessons learnt :-

Double your estimate for how much you think it'll cost to fix. There's always something you've missed.
    Ducati parts are a pain in the butt to get. Late model or early model - also a lack of aftermarket parts.
    Do it for the project, not the cost saving. There won't be any cost savings when you include the time you take running around :)

And yep, on the look out for a BMW GS for my next project bike.

BTW, getting some photos taken of her by a professional photographer this weekend (a mate who owes me a favour), with my wife modelling (she's an ex professional model), so will post 'em up shortly.

Means I got to give her a wash tonight (the bike, not the wife)

11. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    look forward to seeing the piccies!

12. kaer's missuse or the bike? lol

13. Of the washing!

I'm not picky what gets washed though :).