Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Mitta Mitta 1000 (again)

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by bobthekelpy, Aug 14, 2016.

1. It's been a while since I last rode this ride, so thought middle of winter would be the perfect time to revisit it!

I left home at 0230, and as boring as it is to some (many), decided to shoot up the Hume for the start. The idea was to avoid roos, and I didn't see any on the Hume, but a small heard of Dear woke me up near the Nagambi turn off! Thankfully none moved onto the road as I went past. First stop from here was Glenrowan for fuel and food. Then onto Albury where I turned off towards Tallangatta.
    There was heavy fog on the approach down into Mitta Mitta.

It had been raining quite a bit intermittently all morning, so with the fog as well, I was expecting the Omeo hwy to be a wet ride too. It actually wasn't too bad, also only passing one car and having to emergency stop to avoid one wallaby. I was about to learn why...

This was just the start of it. A bit further along, there was about 2 inches of snow on the road and ice everywhere else! Had to deploy the out riggers (legs) on a few corners to slide through.
    But, once on the other side it was glorious weather, and still not a car in sight. Happy days.

Next stop was my favourite place to rest along this road, Anglers Rest camp ground. I stopped had a bite to eat and put my feet up to enjoy the serenity for 30 mins.

The return home was done on the back roads through Maffra etc, then onto The Old Sale rd to home, home by 1430.

All up, around 914kms for the day.

So, the Mitta Mitta 1000 in winter... Only for the b̶r̶a̶v̶e̶?̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶f̶e̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶?̶ The stupid!
    • Winner Winner x 16
    • Like Like x 14
  2. Wow..

That's awesome!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Great write-up, great photos, fantastic effort there Bob(y)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. You champion, you!!!!!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. looks too bloody cold - great job - I couldn't and wouldn't do that, as I doubt I'd be able to walk afterwards!
  6. You crazy bugger. I love it and I bet it was fun.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fantastic trip there bobthekelpybobthekelpy
    On a trip like this, the Hume Fwy, does come in handy, although, I would have done Ovens, and happy Valley Rd.
    Once you head south from Tallangatta to Bairnsdale, that's when the fun starts. Is there a better stretch of road to ride in Aus? I don't think so.
    It would have been slow going on a wet surface, not to mention the Snow/Ice.
    Theres nothing like out riding and watching the Sun come up.
    Some cool photos there in more ways than one. (y)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Definitely one of my favourites, although Glenmaggie to Licola is a close second.
  9. Beautiful photos, BobBob! The slow ride through the mist and snow would have been excellent. Completing over nine hundred kilometres during the twelve hours between 02:30 and 14:30 in, shall we say, "variable road and weather conditions" is mighty impressive. Boring as the Hume Highway can be, I do enjoy making my way out of Melbourne in the small hours, from under freeway lights and into the misty dark valleys to the north.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Holy frijoles!! That's just friggid :eek: (there shold be an emoticon that's frozen! Well done to you bobthekelpybobthekelpy ...I'm actually jealous that you guys can do such a feat. Even in the sheer freezing temps. Awesome photos and thank you for sharing the dream :) (y)

• Like Like x 1
  11. A ride like this is best done solo.
    whats more, Mt Hotham beckons, just as soon as the planets line up.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. That musta been a cold but nice ride Bob. :eek::coldfeet::coldfeet::coldfeet: Reckon some of them on that other forum would love to read about this exploit of yours. Oh ... and don't forget the piccies!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Will try again, great effort bob, would have been picturesque, but l would rather hit that road with hot sticky bitumen
    • Like Like x 2
  15. That looks like an amazing ride! Not sure my cheeks could do that long in the saddle.
    One question - is the road bitumen all the way or is there still a huge chunk of dirt road on this journey?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. fantastic effort.