Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The man who "invented" touring

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by hornet, Aug 26, 2005.

1. It's rare that one man, rather than a committee or a factory, influences so much of a technology direction, or a lifestyle. But it does happen, and one such person is Craig Vetter.
    Craig saw that Americans wanted to tour their new "big" bikes, Honda 750s and Kawa 900s, and that the "super-slab" highways needed fairings. So he designed the famous "WindJammer" fairing.
    The fairing was not his first design effort, as the site shows, but it was arguably his greatest single achievement, and it defined forever the American touring genre of biking.
    He's perhaps not so important in Australian terms, but in world terms, Vetter is one of the giants.

• Like Like x 1
  2. [​IMG]

Craig Vetter: "Today, it is not about going faster... it is about living better and consuming less fuel"

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!!!!! :LOL:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wow...must be a NR record.

9 years!!!!
  5. What's fascinating is that the original post drew NO responses at all :LOL:
  6. NR has matured and is now filled with nostalgic old farts :)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. You can see the design influence on modern US bikes like this:

However, from a personal viewpoint I think this is what is wrong with these bikes. Stuck between a naked cruiser and a plastic fantastic.
  8. What brought THAT on, Justus?

I hope that you are being very sarcastic there, middo.

Dunno the picture of Craig, but it looks like one of his full fairing scooters, possibly based on the Honda Helix?

I have to admit that, amongst my many other strange thoughts, sitting in the garage drinking beer, I have considered trying to do a full fairing job on my old R850R BMW.

Trouble is, the motion wears off when I look at all the stuff that I don't have handy and don't know how to do.

Maybe this might be more your style, middo?

Actually, I was looking for details of a Swiss company who used to build bespoke, recumbent, full faired BMW engined beasties, but I can't find anything.
    They were stupidly expensive, and, if you wanted to order one, you had to go to Switzerland and do an aptitude test before they'd accept your order and money.
  9. I was referring to the windjammer, not the yellow contraption above.
  10. I don't think the Netrider categories were quite as extensive back in 2005...
    • Like Like x 1