Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The little things...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jphanna, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Fro the older guys on here.....you will remember a time when the term 'JAP CRAP' was an every day part of life. The young guys will know that in todays world, Japanese stuff is considered right up there with the best.

In the motoring world, how did the Japs get accepted into our lives? well ther cars has stuff in em that you had to pay EXTRA for in our holdens and fords. Eg

reclining seats
    remote boot releases
    adjustable steering wheels

well, when i bought my first jap bike, a kawaski eliminator, it didnt have a fuel guage and run on carbies. i loved that bike as it was my first love (mbike terms!). sure my boulevard has a fuel gauge and has EFI, but its not an entry level bike either.

today im picking up a new bike for the lady. you will think its humorous, a GV250, mini cruiser. it has EFI, Fuel Gauge, Tacho, alloy wheels and a 2 year unlimited kms warranty.

its not going to tear the bitumen out of the road, but let me tell you that i rode one on saturday, and its quicker than my old kawaski, and more tractable down low, thanks to EFI. the minor trim and bling on older hyosungs used to disintegrate, and was VERY tacky, but this may have improved, or its as bad as before. time will tell.

all i know is that i am very proud to buy this machine and will love it, NO LESS than my Boulevard.

safe riding!
  2. Nicely put mate.
    Exciting times now that China et all are coming to the party with their goods. Only time will tell.

3. Congrats on the new bike - wouldn't say its my cup of tea but each to their own and I'm sure you'll end up loving it regardless of what anyone has to say. Plus it could be a basket case and I'd still be excited about getting a new bike- no better feeling in the world.

I suppose there always tends to be a shift in quality (or perception of quality) regardless of the country of origin. Time will always adjust these things. Wouldn't say the Chinese or Koreans are anywhere near it yet but the fact that they are selling means they might be as competitive as the Koreans are in passenger cars in the years to come - who saw that coming. On the flip side many car marques known for their quality are no longer built in their country of origin (think BMW and others) yet are still viewed as quality because of where their Head Office may be located.
  4. Nicely put indeed; every time a GT-HO rumbles past I remind myself of the fact that a standard Falcon could lap Bathurst quicker today :LOL:

I agree that we should be watching the Koreans and the Chinese.
  5. I'd probably buy a Hyundai over anything built in the US or Australia, but that's based as much on politics as much as anything admittedly. :angel:
  6. Ability to go around corners with finesse is not something the gtho's were known for. The half a mill selling price tells most of the story, really.
  7. Heather learned to ride on a 250 GV cruiser, It didnt miss a beat, She sold it to update to a Kwaka 2002 ZR7 750,

My Bonnie was the tops in its day, I bought mine brand new and rode it for 17 years, over a million kays on it, I put a new top end in it every 10000 miles,

Honda 750 fours when they came out, I rode plenty of them, Had elastic suspension, But even a totally thrashed one, still got over 80,000 kays to a motor, before you put a spanner to them,
    Jap Crap was just so superior, Thats why every other motor cycle company went broke, They just couldnt compete with the reliability of the Jap Crap,

I looked at the latest Triumphs, In my mind was the shit times spent repairing mine and not riding,
    I dont know how reliable the latest Triumphs are, But I am past it, No Triumphs for me,

1000 Ducati, Naked, Yeahhh, Nope, You gotta keep playing with them, Carbies,

I want some thing with a big motor, Reliability, and superb road handling, I am past rebuilding motors, or tinkering with them to keep them going,

Honda are winning GP races world wide, So they must have fixed their elastic suspension in 40 years,

So I bought this fully faired bike, I hate full fairings, I prefer naked, But it did have a big motor, and they are extremely reliable,
    The handling, Well. I will find out about that when I ride it,

Yep, They have improved their handling, To the point of being superb,

So 60,000 kays in 3 years later, I am still impressed with my Jap Crap, Its one hell of a machine, It does every thing I want it to do,
    Its a comfortable long distance mile cruncher, and it does it effortlessly,

A few mods to make it to suit me,

Repairing my Ocean going Blue water Catamaran, All electrics going back in are Chinese,
    One Charge controller part is English, But thats only because The Chinese dont make it,

When you pull gear apart, Genuine parts from various countrys, Made in China is inside the gear, Hahahahahahaha
  8. funny you should say that.....i remember seeing an interview with brocky claiming that the HDT tested a HO falcon and found that they went quicker around the holden test track, with rear stabilizer bars removed. when bathurst arived, they mad e sure that FORD had them fitted, just in case they eventually found out that actually they were not benefiting the car.....

back on topic though...thanks for your congratuations on the purchase. in 2012, its the BEST possible bike in the 250 mini cruiser class. i truly believe that. in 2002, it would be a dead set tie between VT 250 Custom and Eliminator, both out of production now.
  9. The Japanese and the Germans had a major accidental industrial advantage over Brits, Americans and Australians. In WW2 their factories, foundries and mills were almost completely destroyed. For the Japanese at least, the Brits and particularly the Americans helped them build new state-of-the-art facilities. British steel mills of the 1960s and 1970 s mostly still dated from the 19th century and struggled to cope with advances in metallurgy that came out of the 2nd world war.

As for Jap Crap, the term really originated in the period before WW2. We (Australia) sent them a lot of pig iron that they made into either lower quality domestic goods or battleships and aircraft carriers. The Japanese also made a lot of low quality cast metal goods that were based on then higher quality designs from other countries.

MITI, the Japanese Ministry for Trade and Industry was very involved in guiding the rebuild and it followed a pattern that is being repeated by countries like Korea and China.

1. Secure resources and gain expertise in producing high quality raw materials
    2. Use these materials to build high quality transport infrastructure (ships, trains, trucks)
    3. Become good at building reasonably complex but desirable consumer goods (fridges, washing machines, motorbikes etc)
    4. Move into higher value, more prestigious goods such as cars; make them more cheaply and more desirable than other countries.

Look at Mitsubishi, and Hyundai. Two huge companies that have followed this path. Nissan is one of the oldest car companies in Japan. It made a lot of money selling trucks to the army for use in Manchuria (they don't like to admit that bit) and post-WW2 it still had the knowledge required to build trucks for the US and UN Armed forces in Korea which funded development of cars, first based on British designs but by the late 1950s they started manufacturing cars that they designed and by the late 1960s the quality was higher but the price lower than anything from Britain. Cleverly, they also targeted markets with high, budget conscious immigrant markets (Australia and US West Coast) that could forgive a bit of clunkiness if it meant mobility.

When the Japanese were making their (licensed) copies of British cars, motorcycles and parts they analysed everything very carefully. Engines could be made in a wider variety of capacities. They cherry-picked newer technologies from European and American manufacturers. MITI told them what bits of the market they could enter (Honda ignored that advice around 1960 when they made their first car) and they concentrated on export markets rather than the domestic one. Very sensible when most people couldn't afford to own what they made.

BTW, in 1967 Datsun had a 4 cylinder car that could out-accelerate, out-brake and had a higher top speed than the V8 GT Falcon of that year.