Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The limits of alarms

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by mattb, May 19, 2008.

1. Hey All.

Just some reflections to open a discussion. I think alarms, whether a disk lock or a fitted alarm, are a great idea, especially when you live in the inner city and keep your bike on the street. Recently when experimenting with fitting an alarm to my bike I was having teething problems (I have none now - I fitted a battery eliminator!) and rather than annoy my neighbours while messing around, I successfully muffled - to the point of uselessness - the siren, first with a t-shirt and then a towel! So much for the alarm, and I assume that a smart thief would find even more effective mufflers. My conclusion was that a fitted alarm that is hidden, and so takes the thief by surprise before she has time to muffle / disable the alarm, is worth more than a visible alarm whether as a disk lock or as a fixed accessory. Worth considering when deciding on and fitting one.

Thoughts on this in general?

2. I tend to the opinion that unless you hear the alarm, it's not going to have any effect. The general public will ignore it.

Can't hurt though, as long as it's competently fitted, unlike the one I ripped out of the R1100, whose wiring was a fire or, at best, a total electrical failure waiting to happen.
  3. The siren on my bike was fitted under the seat

Slightly less loud, but still loud enough

Alarm by itself is useless IMO (when a car alarm goes off, everyone just keeps walking), make sure it immobilizes your engine as well

Oh, and also the fact that they can see the disc lock/alarm might put them off and they'll consider the bike next to yours isntead?