Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The last run of the Shuttle Endeavour

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by cjvfr, Oct 16, 2013.

1.  Top
  2.  Top
  3. As a race... who knows? But it is not a race that runs space programs, it's the governments. It seems most of that questing spirit was motivated by the cold war environment.

Of course there can be enormous economical advantages to space exploration, but seeing that would require more vision than our elected representatives will ever have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. True, the space program was a relic of cold war rivalry, The Shuttle program probably the tail end of that. I agree governments have lost the vision of the big picture. Except perhaps the Chinese government who seem firmly fixed on the long term view, at the expense of the rights of the individual though.

What I would give for one of the squabbling, pernicious waste of space pollies to try and enunciate a vision. I guess i am getting old and cynical. ;)

5. As a race (ie. western European)?
    I don't think so. The most significant development in the last quarter century occurred recently in an installation underneath the Alps. The American Empire might be in decline but that doesn't mean the genetic line is finished yet. It's just more inclusive and travelling in a different direction. That the Large Hadron Collider was built at all is an amazing thing.
    And as a species? Well, if we survive then it will have to be at the expense of divisions and competing interests. In fact, most space missions these days are co-operative projects because they just have to be.