Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The KLR 650

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by typhoon, Jul 20, 2008.

1. I have mentioned this bike on and off before, so thought I should do a bit of a write up, niow that it is nearing completion.
    I bought the bike knowing it needed some engine work, the KLR 650 has a known flaw in it's balancer system. There is a cheap aftermarket fix available for it though, and my bike now has it.
    This is how the bike was when I bought it:
    477a_1.
    Tore the bike apart to find out the extent of the engine damage:
    Engineout001.
    I had to buy a new case half, due to the balancer chain failing and doing this:
    KLRbalancer.

2. So hunted around for a second hand case. No one in Australia would sell me just a case half, so fcuk em. I will give someone in teh US my money again. And people wonder why the consumer is turning it's back on the local bike companies.......
    Anyway, after about 7 months, a lot of which was packing up and getting ready to move house, plus unpacking again, I have been able to turn my attention to teh bike again.
    Over the last few weekends, I have been putting the bike back together after buying various parts as needed (again fron teh US, as parts prices run about half of what we pay here, plus their aftermarket has a lot of good modification parts).
    Got the bike to this stage last weekend:
    Rebuild002.
    The bike is just about ready to fire up, just waiting for some sealants etc to cure, plus want to give teh bike a good check over again, to make sure I haven't missed anything:
    KLRalmostdone002.
    KLRalmostdone001.
    I am hoping to light it up next week sometime. :grin:

Regards, Andrew.