Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The joys of commuting

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by gmawby, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Hi,
    Commuting to work this morning I've pulled away from the lights and a car turns right across my path. I brake hard so we don't collide and he drives off then puts his hand out of the window and give me a thumbs up. I'm not sure what that was supposed to mean.
    On the way home I exit a roundabout and a car turns right across my path and I brake hard to avoid a collision. This time a get a big toothy grin from the passenger, which I think means "I bet that scared the sh*t out of you" It did.

The joys of commuting.

2. My set of 4 wheels is a Landrover Defender with a steel bull bar on the front - and they still pull out in front of me or turn in front of me! So it's not just the bike being invisible. Sometimes, (in the Landrover of course) it's tempting not to brake and just plough into the side of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Beemerdrew,
    my four wheels are a 97 Defender 300Tdi but without the bull bar. I acknowledge your excellent taste and as this is a bike forum I'll shut up :)

'Tis beer 'o' clock.

Glenn.

• Like Like x 2
  4. And entering a round about. Its like bikes don't exist, and that we are somehow not big enough to qualify as a road user or something.

Im sure that most people on this forum will recognised that about 1/3 of the time people will look right at us as we enter the round about and still not give a dam.

5. They look but they don't see, they are looking for car shaped things, not bikes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I don't know about you guys, but in my area, for some reason people approaching roundabouts don't even slow down. They just assume they have right of way.
    I've learnt that you simply cannot assume anyone is going to slow down, even if you'd be first in the roundabout, thereby technically having the right of way.

I don't assume anything anymore. I know of one roundabout that has speed humps near the entry. Maybe all roundabouts need that. Nothing else appears to stop the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Did a tour of India in 2009, traffic there was extreme commuting, shoulda been a olympic sport.

Real fun though.

8. I like this idea, even though I hate speed humps

9. As long as they are the small plastic ones then thats fine because bikes can easily weave out of the way :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. They often only see our head and upper torso and think we're just running really fast.

Speed humps are never the solution. Shame on you. :p

11. Unless they're the ones with gaps in them.....

12. I have these down my street.

No matter what your speed, time of day etc. If there's another car heading towards you, you and the car will reach the speed hump at the same time, rendering the gap useless.

Yet another variation of Sod's law.

13. The ones with the gaps in them just mean cars have to slow down and bikes don't have to. I know bikers tend to get a bit "us and them" about cars, but we are often pissed off by the same things and make the same mistakes.

In short, I think we should cast aside our differences and unite against our common enemy of speed bumps and stop signs.

14. and cyclists.

15. Even cyclists hate stop signs and speed bumps. Not when they're riding obviously.

This is starting to go a bit "The Judian People's Front!"
    "No no the ROMANS!"

16. "Whatever happened to the Peoples Front of Judea?"
    "He's over there."

"SPLITTER!"

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Aquaduct?

18. I have a few stories that are similar. I've adjusted. Let's face it, no one knows how to drive, they are like kids in a lolly shop. Sometimes i attribute it to them being an incompetant, lazy prick who wouldn't know what a head check is because they are too busy instagramming the "heavy traffic" and heralding facebook about their bad hair day. Sometimes i attribute it to me being an incompetant, lazy prick. No ones perfect. Just be prepared for shit to go wrong all the time. Because it does.

As a daily commuter on a motorcycle, i expect everyone to do retarded shit all the time. In the rain you need to times this by 100. Couldn't tell you about what to expect in the snow though. I have no idea about snow.