Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The importance of obeying the yellow flags

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by vic, Oct 12, 2008.

1. #1 vic, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  2. Nasty one.
  3. it's amazing that both survived
  4. A horrific accident. Amazing that they both got off relatively unscathed.

Like someone said in the comments of the video, if the hit had been forward of the B-Pillar, Weel probably would have been a lot worse off or possibly dead.
  5. So the fact that telementry shows that Pither pulled left before the impact is not enough to save him from the wrath of the arm-chair experts :roll:???
  6. What wrath? (is 'tsk tsk' wrath?)

What does the telemetry say about the braking? Looks like he only really started to brake around 10 metres before the hit. (He admits to having 100 metres to react.)
  7. Unfortunately thats BS.

I've worked the marshal post that would've been waving the yellow/s covering that crash in the past and he would've had a lot more than 100m of visual of that flag before he came around the bend and found that car.

I'm better qualified than most arm chair experts to comment on this and he was on a flyer and failed to slow for a yellow flag.

This has brought the whole yellow flag rules issue into prominance which CAMS changed at the start of this year to follow the FIA F1 rules which are designed to be used in countries which F1 visits which have no motorsport for the other 51 weeks of the year and no pool of experienced marshals (any idiot can flag at F1).

There are some interesting threads appearing on the 4 wheeled forums with the usual uninformed comments but many of us who do know what's going on are commenting long & hard to try to change this stupid rule change(CAMS & MA will never admit it but they do monitor forums after all what else do they do all day) and this is another nail in the coffin (pun not intended but they were less than a metre away from needing one) of that rule change.

I have not worked Bathurst for several years (I couldn't afford the cost of the trip any longer) so don't have any inside info yet.

8. [​IMG]
  9. What rule is this, and what would the change be? (It's been a looong time since I did flags, even at club level).

As I remember it, yellows (waved) meant no passing, and a warning that there was an incident on track ahead. Can't remember if it actually said slow down, but the implication was obvious.
  10. Oops, sorry about that Titus.

Back at the start of this year they dropped the requirement for a stationary yellow at the post prior to a waved yellow.

Plus over the years they've dumbed down the rules losing the effectiveness of the yellow flags (no stationary flag for something way off the track but still needs to warn drivers).

I'm amazed in this age of OH&S madness that they have actually made it more dangerous for racers.
  11. In F1, drivers have been penalised for failing to "lift" in a section that is deemed to be "under yellow"

Not sure which driver it was but it was 3 races back when a driver did his fastest qualifying lap on the lap where there were waved yellows in the final sector of the track.

Pither admits to seeing the yellows but failed to lift, you can see him braking about 10 meters prior to impact.
    There was ample time for him to react to the yellow but failed to do so.
    The driver before him managed to get around the stricken car.

He should be charged with dangerous driving.

The sport in this day and age should be smart enough to transmit a signal to the cars whenever they are approaching a yellow flag section of the track.

Say when they are coming to a yellow section, the marshal point transmits a signal which the car picks up and flashes a yellow light inside the cockpit.
    When the driver then passes the green flag(signaling the end of the yellow) the marshal point should then transmit a green light that is shown to the driver in the cockpit.

If the need for a full course yellow, flick the switch and the entire track goes yellow and all points transmit a yellow condition.
  12. im with Vic, the other cars avoided him.
    so they had slowed down prior to the corner, due to the flag?
    well why didnt he slow down?
    if he didnt see the flag, then he shouldnt be racing, he is blind or asleep at the wheel.
    if he did see the flag and didnt slow down, then thats fkn dangerous driving IMO.

Weel is lucky to be alive.
  13. They did talk about this in the video. I agree it would be dead simple to apply and far more visible to the drivers.

Theoretically they could even apply speed limiters to the car to force them to slow down/limit their speeds in the yellow sections.
  14. The problem is the heroes who stay at 90% or even 100% under a yellow, not the flag system itself. Forget the fancy technology. It is not practical for karts, club cars, bikes etc etc etc. Are those lives any less valuable and is that racing any less dangerous? No, so a practical system is needed, and simply has to be enforced, which by the look of it means this bloke is gonna get roasted.

Certain tracks need, and indeed have, yellow and red lights at certain sections of the track where a flaggy is not possible, but that's dead simple in comparison.
  15. Bearing in mind that technology on the track often ends up on the road, you might want to think very carefully before airing this particular idea :wink: .
  16. Don't worry (or worry!), The idea has already been discussed and wants to be implemented by the 'speed kills' brigade.
  17. he was charged with dangerous driving, $6000 fine ($3000 suspended)

jones (car before him) only just missed him, and if you look at the clip jones's brake lights were not even on so i doubt he even braked to avoid the car (although he may have lifted)

you can see him locking up 10m before but his brake lights were on before he came into the shot,

now if he was doing 200kph (not sure what speed they reach at that part of the track) and claims he saw it 100m before he had 1.8seconds to react (give or take a thou) not much time for most humans :-s
  18. True !

Except for Chuck Norris !
    He tells the marshalls when the yellow flags are to be waved !

19. Maybe (although you might be surprised at how long 1.8 seconds actually is when the adrenalin's flowing), but this guy isn't "most humans". He's a pro racing driver at a fairly high level in a situation where he knows (or should know) that the unexpected may very well happen.

Under those circumstance, 1.8 seconds is an aeon.