Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The importance of electrical relationships

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ad91on, Aug 13, 2012.

1. So i was riding the bike today.

And i filtered to the front and went to take off and then... the bike cut out instantly with absolutely no response to any input from me. So i am left in the right hand lane of a 3 lane road looking like a ****-stick with my douchebag numberplate and douchebag exhaust.

Mercifully after a minute or so the traffic eased and i could push the old girl to the sidewalk. First, check the fuses, all good. Next, check the big fuse near the battery - all good. Check for any obvious signs of a short or disconnection in the engine bay/under the seat - all good.

Then i got to thinking about all my dodgey wiring that I had done on the bike recently. So i took the headlight off (thank god for having a toolkit with the bike) and whaddya know, i poke about in a few wires and the bike is responsive again.

Looks as though one of my splices thru the ignition cable is a bit, well, shit. Thankfully I bought a soldering iron from jaycar over the weekend and was just about to redo all that dodgey wiring anyway!

What am i trying to say? Dodgey wiring works for a bit but eventually the dodginess shines thru and your dodgey work leaves you with a dodgey bike in dodgey situations.

Moral of the story - be less dodgey and wire your shit properly! Especially if you have extensive aftermarket electrics like i do (heated grips, running lights, 12v sockets, all that jazz).

2. Doesn't sound like you did any worse than the average WA auto electrician/installer. I've lost count of the number of "professional" wiring jobs I've had to rip out and redo properly before they caused either a fire or a major failure over the last 15 years.
  3. Timely reminder for me to not be lazy when i splice in my pro oiler, denali driving lights, alarm and heated grips in the next few weeks :p.
  4. The fender eliminator on my new bike was wired in really poorly. Twists and electrical tape.

Great ad91on now I'm gonna have to waste time on the weekend fixing up that. Thanks a lot.
  5. Spent all evening soldering and now I can sleep easy knowing the bike most likely Wont catch fire spontaneously
  6. #6 smileedude, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    You did remember to unplug the iron and take it off the oily rags right?

7. #8 hackavatar, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Heat shrink or self amalgamating tape?