Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The human race is doomed

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ibast, Feb 21, 2011.

1. I have to get some minor exploratory surgery. Nothing big (well I hope for the sake of my dignity it's not too big).

Despite the surgery being minor they do, these days, put you under a general anesthetic. It's a couple of weeks away now so they called me in to do consult with the Anesthetists. This should simply involve height, weight, blood pressure and some basic questions. At the same time they tee me up a bit more about what is going to happen on the day. Easy right?

I book the first appointment for the day (8am), thinking I can be in and out in 15 minutes and only about an hour late for work.

This morning I get there (through luck of parking) 10 minutes before the appointment. Great. I notify the clerk and they sit me in the all but empty waiting room. All's well.

About 8.10 the Anesthetist's staff start wandering in. About 8.20 they finally call me in. So if you are ever wondering why medical appointments are always running late, it's not because patients take up too much time during the day. It's because the staff are basically lazy and incompetent.

It gets worse. I'm not called in to see the doctor. I'm called in to see another clerk, this one specifically for the antithesis. She asks a couple of basic medical questions and puts me back out into the waiting room.

A while later I'm taken in to see a nurse. She takes my height, weight and blood pressure (the only good news for the day) and then sends me back to the waiting room.

A fair while later I'm called in to see a doctor. He runs through some really basic stuff, which basically translates to "there is nothing to worry about" and then I'm sent back out to the waiting room.

About this time I'm called up to the original clerk because they've finally realised they've got my first name wrong. This is something I've corrected over the phone. Twice. They've even scanned my medicare card three time. The clerk says to my "Have you changed your name?". Yeah right love, of the options, a) I've changed my name, or b) you've stuffed up, a) is the more likely . . . . .

So I go back to the waiting room for a bit longer.

Finally I get called up by the final nurse. She runs through what will happen on the day and how I need to prepare. This or course is all outlined on a piece of paper that they could have sent me in the mail. Then she sends me on my way.

1 hour and 50 minutes later. All for what should have taken 15 minutes and ultimately could have been done by mail (because I'm betting they check my weight and blood pressure on the day).

No wonder I have to work so farking hard. I've got to carry these morons. The next time public hospital staff whinge about how they are understaffed, I'm going to have no sympathy.
  2. Feel better now that you've whinged? :p
  3. Maybe a little.

What I call "frig-arsers" piss my off.
  4. Wait, the health industry is inefficient?
  5. Shock! Horror!
  6. Sounds like a lot of stuffing around for a minor op. Last time I had general anaesthesia surgery, I had one very brief appointment with the surgeon and then everything else was dealt with either by mail or at the hospital on the day. MrsB has some chronic health issues that mean she needs to see more people prior to her rather frequent visits to the butchers but even then it's generally very quick and efficient.
  7. That sounds a lot closer to the public system than private, thought I assume you're going private? I went in for a prelim check a week before, besides the extra 15 min waiting time, I was out after 15 minutes.

Now just wait till the anaesthetist bills you at $750/hour.
  8. Public system every time here. I have a family member who is, effectively, uninsurable so it would have to be even were it not for a fairly strong body of evidence indicating that going private does not generally lead to significantly better outcomes.
  9. Was public. I believe the private system is a farce that feeds corrupt and greedy doctors.
  10. Not at all. It extracts the maximum amount of money out the government (and indirectly, the public) for the least amount of work of any industry. Every 'stuff up' is designed to increase income. That's efficiency. Only Defense even comes close.

I work for a company that supplies the health industry. I see it every day. You would be staggered if you knew where the money goes.
  11. Inefficient doesn't even go close to describing it. My company puts a 25% inefficiency allowance on all work quoted in Victoria and that's pretty high.

What I witnessed yesterday was 400% excess labor and time and that doesn't even cove my loss of production. I also caught a couple of snippets of conversation amongst staff about getting more staff because they were so busy.
  12. They're only busy because of all the excess paperwork required, and the paperwork is only necessary because people keep suing them.

The system works a lot better in countries where a patient undergoing lifesaving surgery can't sue the hospital because they get a slight skin irritation from the stitches used.
  13. Please tell me that you didn't have to pay for the visit (read: their inefficiency).

If they bulk bill this, then I rekon they're rorting the system by claiming more from the govt then they should.
  14. No, it was a public hospital. Surgery isn't critical so I'm ok to wait 90 days.
  15. ahh. sorry, I forgot you are a labour voter

well, it kinda is, but everything runs pretty much as it is supposed to.
  16. I'm not. I'm just not a voter for the current Liberal party.

Doctors booking procedures that are not necessary and insurance companies running such big gaps you may as well just payed for it, is not how I think it should work.
  17. THAT booking procedure was Because you went Public and you have no idea what insurance would have paid.
    Can't diss something you didn't try.
  18. Agreed

Not sure what your trying to say here.

My initial whinge is that the booking procedure is ridiculously inefficient. Yep I'm aware that it is a product of the public system.

My secondary comment is that, despite the above, I don't believe in the private system. And yes I can diss it, despite not having private health insurance, because I've investigated it a few times and I have many friends and associates that use it. No matter how I look at it I can't make it work.

also I've had a couple of private procedures done, which I've payed for myself and it is barely dearer than the gap for private insurance. It is certainly cheaper than the premiums plus the gap. I'll store my health money in my bank, rather than the insurance companies pockets, thanks very much.
  19. It would be interesting to keep an account of using private system health and determining how much it costs vs how much insurance costs.

I'm hoping I didn't need to put a :p on that statement for it to be understood correctly
  20. You'd need to keep account of how much it should cost, not how much it actually costs. I've seen friends kept in private hospitals days more than they need to be and rack up 10s of thousands of dollars worth of tests that are nice to haves rather than need to haves.

This is the problem I've got with the government trying to force me into private health insurance.

That and the fact that if anything serious goes wrong, it's the public system that deals with it anyway.

also some things are just better in the public system. The midwifery system of the public system, for example, is superior to the pediatric based private system.