Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The History of the Middle Finger

Discussion in 'Jokes and Humour' at netrider.net.au started by goodcruzn V4, Oct 2, 2007.

1. The History of the Middle Finger
    Well, now......here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified. Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?
    Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").
    Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew! Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute! It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."
    IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO THE FRENCH TODAY!
    And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing.

2. I believe your story's mixed up - it was the two-finger salute that had that origin. And the pluck yew thing is pure shenanigans.

3. OK now i am confused
    one finger , two fingers it all means the same.
    Doesn't it?

4. Two fingers is like saying, "Sh*t!" - Even your granny might say it occasionally.

One finger is akin to, "F*ck!" - Betcha granny doesn't say that word. :wink:

5. Indeed it is, they used to chop off the index and middle finger, so the 2 fingered salute originated thus. The middle fingered salute is more of an American thing. Don't see too many English people doing the "1 finger", don't see too many Americans doing the "2 finger", salute that is :wink:

6. Two fingers means "up yours" doesn't it???

7. They didn't cut off their fingers anyway - its a complete load of crap.

8. You're confused.

Whether it's true or not, it makes for a good yarn...

You're thinking of the two fingered salute. The longbow, similar to the crossbow not long after it, wasn't considered a very fair way of conducting war. With a simple bow, the most pathetic of welsh peasants could puncture the armour of a fully-clad nobleman at several hundred yards, with reasonable accuracy. Usually it was only fellow noblemen that could tackle another knight.

At the battle of Agincourt the French knights had to travel across a large open, muddied field. Welsh longbowmen cut them down from a distance with their weapons, puncturing their armour and taking shiteloads of them out. They then crawled the mud and calmly dispatched the remaining bogged down knights with daggers.

That wasn't fair for it's time. Most Englishmen, including those that had settled across the western side of france were trained in the use of drawing a longbow. So, the frenchies decided to cut off the forefinger and the index finger of the British male population as they came across them, which would decrease the population of potentially deadly archers.

Sticking your two fingers up at a passing frenchman was a way of saying; "F**k you, I can still fight you, ya bastard"

9. Mainly 'cos they didn't catch any :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: .

10. Its a cool story though, seems to have been around almost since Agincourt itself...