Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Great Diet Thread, definite TL;DR

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by gsxxer, Jan 11, 2009.

1. WARNING TL;DR But please try to read

After reading a particularly amusing thread about bodybuilding and music theory, I began to wonder what people consider healthy or beneficial in our modern diet. Obviously people who work out constantly in a gym, for example, need to pay careful attention to their diet. Other people i know simply couldnt give a rats ass what they eat, and others I know want to look after their bodies, but in my opinion, their diets are a little misguided.

Ill say it plainly, when you study the mainstream media, the amount of conflicting information, dodgy advice and sheer crap astounds me. Its no wonder people are confused about what it healthy.

Im not here to preach, nor tell anyone what they should eat, but hopefully i would like to see people re-examine what they eat. Also post up what you eat regularly.

Ill start. Just to give you a bit of background, i used to be overweight ever since childhood and teenage years. When i got to 110kg I got up off my ass and starting reading about diets and more, exercised. A lot

The best thing i ever did was cut out as much processed foods as possible. At breakfast, i cut out all processed cereals, going back to simple muesli and tea, rather than the manufactured cereals and fruit juice. Lunch and dinner i cut out anything that came in a packet, or a can.

Why processed foods? the idea is simple.

Food companies are out to make money, not look after your health. They buy ingredients as cheap as possible, and want their products to last as long as possible, so they can sell high volume, at low expenditure.

For example, in the past century, animal products in foods have been replaced with cheaper, and i believe far more dangerous plant products.

Butter has been demonised and margarine, a hydrogenated plant product, was used in spreads, pastries, cookies.

Canola oil has extensively taken over animal products, in breads, soups etc. It is derived from r4peseed (stupid word filter keeps changing it) oil and is heavy processed.

Which brings me onto fats. Youve all heard the hype, it takes the whole of 5 seconds to google these kinds of phrases:

As oxymoronic as it sounds, there are actually good fats

Then there are the bad fats—those artery-clogging saturated fats from meat and dairy products.

Yada yada... etc.

Youve all heard it, saturated fats are bad, we should avoid animal products, instead we should eat more plant oils.

Ill say it straight up, if you read mainstream media you will be flooded with biased, suspect and sensationalist material.

A perfect case, on Science Daily, no less

So they concluded that fat increased the stress levels of the patients...but hang on. Anyone can spot the gross simplication and unsubstantiated claims here.

The test should have been between full cream milk / yoghurt on the cereal, vs skim. Instead, they sent the other test group to MACDONALDS ffs, which is an enormous change in variables. I beleive maccas in unhealthy because they use cheap ingredients, which are devoid of many nutrients, cheap processed plant oils and other suspect ingredients like high fructose corn syrup.

These processed ingredients we eat are chemically are very different to anything we have eaten during our evolution. Before the 1900's we NEVER would have eaten HFCS, Canola oil, Margarine (made just before 1900's).

Our health has declined in the past century along with our changes in diet. We are told to avoid saturated fats from natural animal sources, and yet are we healthier these days?

Any scientist knows the vast evidence that completely contradicts mainstream opinions that saturated fat causes heart disease and obesity.

Weve consumed saturated fats as far back as 2.5 million years, as our canine teeth are used to eat meat.

Heart disease wasnt a problem until we began changing to modern processed ingredients.

Many cultures traditionally have eaten high animal fat diets. Look at your grandparents or great grandparents. The innuit eskimos tradtionally ate pure blubber to get their energy, and no vegetables. Good luck finding heart disease among them, until modern time when their diet changed.

Does this mean you can eat fatty foods with reckless abandon? No, you need to know what to avoid. ie Maccas.

I get most of my daily energy from fats. I eat grass fed beef when i can, i eat simple butter (not the blended stuff, and dont touch the vegetable spreads), full fat milk, yoghurt etc.

Ive really only skimmed over the topic here, im sure ill cop flak for what i eat but im prepared to defend what i eat. considering its closer to what weve always eaten as humans.

AND PLEASE dont use the terms good and bad fat here, or good and bad cholesterol. Thats baby talk, no wonder people have things ass-backwards if you call something "bad fat"

so discuss,

im curious as to what people eat.

2. You don't need to avoid fast food all your life.

There is nothing wrong with having some on occasions...

Besides most diets do not work, its lifestyle...

Who on earth wants to watch what they eat for 20 hours of the day, worrying if they put 1g too much fat in there mouth over the course of the day...

Life is ment to be easier, and I also have heared that people who constantly look and worry about what they are eating suffer greater stress disorders than those that don't.

Take your pick, a little more fat and endulgence or stressed to the point of sickness???
  3. Most of what I eat is made at home. Lunch at work is left overs.
    My diet isn't unhealthy but I don't really exercise.

I will maybe have take-away once a month.

I used to have alot of subway but financial restrictions stopped that.
  4. There are way too many people who try to simplify and categorise different foods and ingredients as good or bad for us. The bottom line is, what is good for me, my body, my lifestyle and my metabolism, may not necessarily be good for you or anyone else.

Everyone needs to do like you have done and find what works for them, them alone, and not what some sports person on TV eats, or some mate who lost a heap of weight.

EVERY body is different, every lifestyle is different, every metabolism is different. Therefor, EVERY diet needs to be different. Sure there are some safe options that will generally work for most people, but they are not necessarily the BEST option.

Knowledge is power when it comes to dieting. Read everything! Discard that which you consider crap, try that which you consider may be viable for YOU.

I'm lucky, the last 3 yrs I put on about 3kg after I stopped racing, which involved training anywhere between 25-40hrs/week. I just have that metabolism that doesn't have me gain weight easily. So obviously, even though my diet was a very good one for me, it may not work for many others that don't have my lifestylye and/or body composition.

There is NO magic diet that will work for everyone. Even your example of the inuits doesn't hold true. Because if you went and tried to live on their diet, you would probably not live very long. That is what suits them, what their culture has conditioned them to over generations.

So to sum up, it's a horses for courses thing. I can eat Maccas, KFC etc with no effect to my weight, lucky me, you need to find what works for you.

I recommend a book called "The eat right diet" by Peter D'Adamo.
  5. i agree to the extent that their bodies probably are more efficient at extracting vitamins though i cant be sure.

they get all the necessary vitamins, including enough vitamin C, from the seafood they ate. which is quite amazing. i get mine from fruits and vegtables.

the main point i was getting at is their energy came solely from animal fats and yet there was none of the heart disease and ill health effects we are told about.

that doesnt just apply to the eskimos, it applies to all humans, as weve consumed these fats before we split into different cultures
  6. One significant point is that the inuits eat fats that come directly from an animal that has been freshly killed - they're not eating fats which have been manufactured and treated with antioxidants, antifoams, colouring etc.
    So perhaps the secret is only eating things that have only been dead a few hours (includes both plants and animals).

7. The only Magic Diet that exists is lap-band surgery... You can eat virtually anything, just not in massive amounts like we get served now a days...

Oh and it works.
  8. My diet is in no way one which should be followed by anyone who wants to lose weight or get healthy. But I've always been of the opinion that foods with less additives (ie:as close as possible to their original form) are the way to go to be healthy. I always choose butter over margerine, and full cream milk over skim. And I'm a huge fan of meat.. whether it be beef, pork, chicken or fish... or any other animal... and i like my salads or veggies with dinner. So I have to say i agree with gsxxer on that point. Anytime i've gone on a health kick I've stuck with the general rule that the less processed the food is, the better it is for me.

These health kicks dont usually last more than 2 weeks though.. im too tempted by the lure of fast food :p

In the scheme of things though, what works for one person might not work for another, but all it takes the tweaking of a diet to make it suit you.
  9. Yes and no re: the lap band surgery ....... also, just because we get served massive amounts doesn't mean we have to eat massive amounts - portion control, that's what most people need to learn. Of course, when you show people what they should be eating, the quantity looks so miniscule most people think they are going to starve.
  10. I agree with you both.

I use to eat a large amount of food, dinner, lunch ect...

I did opt for the lap band, quality of life over anything else really.

Made a massive difference to me, funniest part was the dietition couldn't fault my cooking or the way I eat... I cook more to the liking of WOG food, but more traditional in the home than in the restaurant.

So basically all meats, seafood, veg ect...
    Sometimes I wonder why I go to restaurants, but after the surgery, I still eat the same just half as much. I'm healthy, don't take vitamin suppliments and play sport... :LOL: Its nice to not worry about what you eat, I use veg from fresh and tin, all works well in my case.
  11. As a full time personal trainer for more than five years and a martial arts instructor for over twenty, I can tell you my views based on all those years of observation and experience.

Not everything will work for everyone, but there are some constants.

To the poster that said he eats Maccas and doesn't put on weight - you can still get heart disease when you're skinny, so just because you don't put on weight, doesn't mean it's not bad for you. To the poster that said you can have Macca's once in a while and it won't hurt - that's true. Your body will process pretty much anything given enough time in between hard to process things.

The general guidelines that work for everyone (in my experience) are:

- As little processed food as possible
    - As much fresh fruit and veg as possible
    - Limit red meat intake to once or twice a week and try to go for leaner cuts
    - Don't drink too much alcohol
    - Don't smoke
    - Exercise regularly

Secondary considerations once the above are managed:

- Don't bother with low fat stuff - fat is a taste, so if the fat has been removed it's probably been replaced with salt or sugar. Check your low fat yoghurt and compare the sugar content with the full fat
    - Don't deep fry too often or eat junk food too often
    - Don't eat till you're overfull - or even just full. Try to eat until you're nearly full and stop. If you get hungry between meals, have a glass of water. If you're still hungry, snack on a bit of fruit or nuts, but only a handful.

Otherwise, get out there and enjoy yourself. ;)
  12. i was hoping some body builders would chime in with their diet.

i know they get enough on the protein, but i constantly see people saying that theyre on ultra low fat diets. in terms of muscle growth, avoiding fat in the diet seems counterproductive, especially saturated fat. you need it for hormone production, vitamin intake and muscle growth, and indeed cell growth in general.

i suppose most BBs must get enough as they chow down on the eggs and milk
  13. G'day everyone.....

Well actualy with the Inuit its not what their eating that should be questioned but in their inviroment its what thay are doing to burn off that energy so fat deposits don't build up in there system,..
    Thay burn a lot of energy to keep warm and hunt etc,...so thay can live on a high fat diet,..

In our world we westerners dont don't expend the energy we used to to do anything anymore so thats why we get fat!

I do agree that the sorce of our food is'nt the best these days but as a base cause of health isues we just don't expend the energy we need to anymore and our diets are overrunning us.
    Just my thoughts,.....

Dr Who?
  14. You have to remember that BBs have on and off seasons. Off season they're bulking up and eating as much of pretty much anything as they can. Then they cut for the on season (comps) and that's when they cut out fats and all that and hit competition angry and dehydrated! ;)

Bodybuilding is actually a damned unhealthy sport, IMO.
  15. +1000
  16. When I want to lose weight, I have one simple rule that dictates what I eat:

"Expend more energy over a day than what I consume"

Keep to that mantra, and weight will HAVE TO come off.

Within that one rule I eat pretty much whatever I want and don't worry about it other than a casual assessment as to to how much food energy I'm stuffing into my gob.

Lost 15kgs over the last two years without really stressing about it or worrying about it. Got about another 10kgs I'd like to lose, and they'll come off within the year, once again, without really stressing about it, or eating unhealthily.

Eat modestly, and exercise for one hour a day. It's all you need to do.
  17. For anyone that is truley interested in Diet, Health and Exercise (but mainly bodybuilding and strength) check out http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showforum=121

I know that it is a car forum, but their is loads of quality information and plenty of links to more quality info (none of the backwards crap as mentioned in the by the OP).
  18. Unfortunately it is the eating modestly that most people have trouble with - that's where food diaries and calorie counting etc can be of assistance. Doing those things gives you a very good idea of portion sizes and once you have that in your head, the rest is relatively simple as you say. A calorie is a calorie regardless of its source and if you use up more than you take in, you will lose weight.

And let's not get started on the exercising ..... the excuses that get trotted out for why someone can't exercise are limited only by the scope of the human imagination.

The look on people's faces when they get told the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to follow a sensible eating and exercise program for the rest of their lives - you'd think it was the end of the world or something.
  19. :rofl:

Hey Tarmac what MA do you train?