Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Future of MotoGP

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by minglis, Nov 2, 2011.

1. I just read an excellent article about the future of MotoGP and thought I'd share it. Well worth the read for MotoGP fans. By 2013 we could be seeing a far different sport that we've had the last couple of years. It has the potential to almost divide the race in half, with the aliens at the front competing for the top six places, then another 24 bikes behind them competing for the rest. That second pack would be much more like we see currently with Moto2, only, 1000cc bikes. On the other hand, with the extra fuel allowances for the CRT bikes, the gap between the 2 sections may not be as big as expected. Watch this space...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Exciting times for the future in MotoGP thats for sure. Cant wait.
  3. Yeah it will be interesting to see what happens. Personally, I think where the article is heading is about right - all teams will be run as CRTs eventually with race teams rather than factory teams that run an engine from a say Yamaha or Rotax or KTM, and a frame by themselves or purchased from somewhere else. The engines don't HAVE to be production based so it could be very interesting.
  4. Good find. Sure next years Island race will attract massive crowds.
    Very interesting times indeed!
  5. David Emmett is a great writer, considered and insightful. As his site has got more popular, some of the comments have gotten more Crash.net style, but he moderates that quite well too.
  6. There's a couple of things that concern me about the new rules.

Firstly the divide between the factory teams and the privateers is (at least in the short term) will be greater than it is now. This to me means that the racing will be more spread out than it is now and the only time you'll see the CRT bikes is at the start of the race and again when they are getting lapped.

Secondly, lets say MotoGP goes the way of Moto2 and becomes a quosi (sp) production series, where will that leave WSBK, which in my opinion is a better series. Not only is the racing generally better, but there is a closer relationship between the race bike and the bike you can buy in the shops.
  7. I read somewhere that Dorna are taking over the media rights or something, and that they really want the CRT concept to work, so, it's more likely that we'll be seeing the CRT guys fighting it out (ala Moto2) and the GP bikes will be off in front doing their own thing.
  8. I actually really enjoy the Moto2 races as you get a bigger bunch of riders slugging ot out, lotsa leads changes and overall it is pretty damn exciting racing
  9. Gotta agree again.
    At the gp qualifiers the smaller classes were much more exciting. Sitting on lukey heights you'd get packs coming round the bend, but in the GP it was mostly 1 or 2 bikes at a time.
  10. Generally I record the races and watch them later. I always watch the whole of the 125 and Moto2 races, but will fast forward through the boring bits of the MotoGP race. There's been some MotoGP races where I've watched the first 3 laps then ended up fast forwarding to the end.
  11. I love the 125 and Moto2 races. I love the fighting that goes on etc. Awesome. Having said that, I also love the MotoGP races (brace yourself) even when they're boring. I just love watching their lines, posture, how they go about it. It amazes me. I'd RATHER watch races that are a fight all the way through, but, I still enjoy the ones that are straight forward. That's just me.
  12. I agree, but I wouldn't agree that this season has been boring. Casey's move at Laguna was quite exciting to watch.