Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Future of Electronic Music?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smileedude, Oct 4, 2011.

1. I saw Synaecide performing at a small camping music festival over the weekend. It has to be by far the most original performance I have ever seen. He controls the synth using his body and an Xbox Kinect. You might not be into dubstep but I'm sure this can and will be used to make other kinds of electronic music.

This guy will go far, either as a performer or selling the concept. The concept of making music to dancing instead of dancing to music I think will catch on very quickly. Having the artist perform like this was one hell of a show.

2. Interesting concept for sure. But a dangerous technology were it to fall into the hands of American mainstream pole-dancing pop-stars...
  3. Music and dance probably co-evolved in early human societies. The concept of music performers and audience as separate came later. So that in itself is not new.

The electronic aspect has been around for a while too, I have met with an electronic artist once who created an interactive soundscape display, where people would walk into a room and the sounds generated were influenced by the position of bodies in the room.

Something more relevant to me is the K-Bow

Anyhow this guys setup looks interesting....is that software Ableton Live and Native Instruments Massive?
  4. I really like the sound of that, although I have to wonder how it sounded when participents wouldn't really know how to control it. Got any links?

That does look pretty cool. The recent advances in video game play using movement and motion sensors seems to be a lot more useful than being able to play golf in front of your tv screen.

From his website,
    You know your stuff.

What really excites me about this is it allowed him to create music live with instant reaction to his movements that just would not be possible using a traditional synth. He can control 8 parameters at once.
  5. No links sorry, but if you wanted to get into this stuff, the guy you want to talk to is Dr Alistair Riddell at the Australian National University.
  6. The Laser Harp (probably with variations) has been around for quite a while. Jean Michel Jarre used one years ago.

7. Is that anything more than an attempt to make theremins cool? Questacon has something similar I think. Can't remember if it's an air piano or a light piano. I think the latter.
  8. Mostly a performance controller that looks good on stage, I suspect, but back when it first showed up it was pretty groovy.
  9. I suspect a 9 note keyboard was not the most revolutionary musical instrument. But it puts on a better show than someone standing to the side of the stage with a real keyboard playing the same thing.
  10. I hope youre not knocking the theremin, its a difficult instrument to play convincingly, but there are musicians who do it justice.
  11. Not knocking them, they're just not quite the most impressive instrument to behold.
    Edit: *link removed* I take that back, it sounds like turd.
  12. Or air guitar. It would have been pretty swish back in 1981, which just pre-dates the MIDI interface. Remotely controlling any instrument at the time was pretty novel, and remained so for some time after.

Some of the later variants do some neat tricks to make them more expressive (and no doubt even trickier to play). From Wiki:

13. I watched the second video first and picked the filter on the right hand, pitch and resonance on the left. Then watched the first video and saw he had z-axis going as well.

This is awesome, I want it.
  14. #15 smileedude, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I think he'd put quite a bit more into it when I saw him at dragon dreaming on the weekend. Definately worth looking out for. I really wish he was based in Sydney.

He had sample switches on his feet as well. On his website it says he controls 8 parameters, but I dont know enough about music to understand it all.

It would be so much fun to have at home.
  15. Yeah, it looked like he triggered loops with his feet. But I'm not sure how he would do 8 parameters, he's only got 3 axes over 2 hands, which gives 6. Maybe he uses more fancy footwork to change what his hands influence. This stuff is right up my alley, think I'd best go check his site.
  16. #17 smileedude, Oct 5, 2011
    I think it looks at hand angle too, so z,y,x angle of the arm, than angle of the hands. It could use head and body angles too?
  17. #18 smileedude, Oct 5, 2011
    From another video of his doing granular scratching:

This is controlled entirely live using the Kinect’s hand position data from OSCeleton through his custom Max patch. All of the sounds (except the drums) are created using a single sample of a man’s voice loaded into Reaktor’s granular synthesis ensemble Grainstates SP. He’s controlling grain size, loop start point, pitch, filter, cutoff LFO, LFO depth, reverb, panning.