Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Freedom - I Don't Think So

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by RobE, Oct 2, 2007.

1. My friend, a well seasoned pillion passenger but not a rider, told me that the value of a bike was "The Freedom!"

She was surprised when I disagreed.

Freedom is just chucking whatever you have to transport into the station wagon and jumping behind the wheel wearing whatever you have on and feeling relatively safe inside your tin tank that has wipers, a heater, a radio, bumper bars, air bags and a wheel in each corner.

Setting out on a bike trip means putting on all the safety gear (press-studs, velcro, zips), packing your bag and dealing with 29 zipppered compartments, fitting your personal stuff into a jacket that also has 29 zipppered compartments, locking your head into a helmet and riding wary of all them drivers.

So why ride - Not because I am a wanna-be 1%er, not for romantic notions but because it is fun and it is another skill thing.

Am I wrong?

2. It is freedom in a sense that you can lane split and zoom past traffic.

I agree it is easier, safer and more comfortable to just jump in the car.

I think riding is more about skill and a challenge everytime you go out there

3. I say you are wrong.
    You are focused on the preparation for teh ride.
    Not the ride it's self.
    In a car you are limited in how you drive. self expresion is only going to get you a ticket.
    On a bike... It is diferent. You can swing into corners with big sweeping gestures, feeling like you are flying, You can manouver so much more freely on the bike. It is all about the feeling of the ride.
    The feeling of freedom is not about the practicaility of what you can carry. it is about the way in which you use your body as part of the bikes movement.
    If you don't feel it then you don't feel it. but I'll have to say just because you can't define it it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just means you have to work on your manner of expression :grin:

Get out there, find your self some twisties, and enjoy the ride. Maybe you will feel it one day.

4. Priscilla, Queen of the Twisties.

5. I think Falcon-Lord nailed it.
    It's all about self expression.

I am new to this riding thing as well but find that the more I ride, the better I become at it, and the less I focus on those things like jackets, helmets etc and concentrate more on the riding itself.

After 10mins in the saddle I feel completely as one with the machine and I'm sweeping thru those bends like a mofo and not even thinking about it with utter inner peace and freedom.

After even a short ride I'm buzzing for hours afterwards.

Beats the cage hands down IMO, but each to their own though I guess.

6. Accepting the safety gear bit and putting it to one side... freedom is not being encaged by glass and steel, the freedom of vehicle movement and being out in the elements.

But you're dead right about the preparation. If the trip is <5km, its hardly worth getting on the bike.

7. I once met a bloke who had sold his house, invested the money, and was travelling around the country on a BMW R1150GS. Every possession he owned was in the panniers. He slept in a tent, and could (within certain limits) head off the road into the countryside and set up camp wherever he liked. He was a highly qualified health professional and occasionally picked up locum work here and there, but essentially it was just him and the bike.
    Now HE really was free!
    Most of us don't really want that level of freedom, though, do we?

8. I think that part of the freedom is more to do with the attitude of riding. When going on a 'ride', you're don't need to go to a certain point, you go wherever you want, take whichever way takes your fancy.

Whilst cagers general attitude is I have to get to B by x oclock, they're fighting the trip instead of enjoying it.

Same could be said for anyone who just loves driving, and does just go on joy rides though.

9. Sign me up for short stints (say a couple of weeks at a time).

10. +1 nothing more can be said IMHO, absolutley nailed it Flacon Lord

11. +1.

When's the next group booking?

12. Thanks Lord but I am not convinced. (I was going to make a cheeky joke about me having a Ford Falcon, but we have only just met.) You have described the skill and the fun but not the "Freedom".

I love the twisties and the self-expression of riding.

But I love that in a car too.

Bike, car, bicycle, roller blades, walking - it is all about positioning yourself, anticipating the moves, smoothness, reading the conditions, working through traffic, using the energy, testing your skills; none of this unique to bike riding.

Where bikes stand out, for me 'cos I have never had a really hot car, is in acceleration. But that is not Freedom, it is a characteristic.

Enjoy, but let's not add a level of mysticism to what is a form of transport.

13. It really comes down to how you define "your" freedom I suppose.

For some, freedom might mean sitting in front of the TV with the AFL on (god forbid) and sucking down tinnies all weekend.
    For others it's jumping out of aeroplanes etc.

Different strokes for different folks.

I have a reasonably quick car I suppose, aka Torqzilla, a 5.7 litre V8 Commondoor.
    It is immensely more fast than my bike but I will take the little 250 any day if I have the choice between them because the bike is about 50x more FUN IMO.
    Kinda like comparing steel capped work boots to a pair of light running shoes.....

14. Want true freedom - buy a convertible.
    That way you don't have to wear a helmet.
    (And you've got the option not to get completely soaked when it rains too ;)).

15. ...lets not add flagrant homosexuality either. :LOL:

What's with all this "expressing one's self" and "flamboyant sweeping lines"? It's like Dr Phil meets the Fab Five in here.

It's a bike. You ride it. It's fun. QED.

[/my 2 cents] ;)

16. My cars faster than my bike(75 galant with 135kw atw vs 98 suzuki across) and i do kinda miss hitting boost mid corner, ass flinging out steering into the slide while you link one corner to another corner, the BOV letting go changing gears then the rears frying again.

But when you realy lean the bike over an get on the throttle exiting corner coupled with the "i'm gonna kill myself" feeling tis pretty sweet. Though that feeling comes in the car aswell i guess.

I feel more cop/fine resistant on the bike though and its all legal too. But worring about what everyother road user is doing on the bike does get a little tiring.

That said i would MUCH rather go a for a ride with 2-3 friends then go for a cruise.

17. Maybe he was, but not because he was traveling on a bike - you could've put 'Holden' in place of 'BMW' and the story would read pretty much the same. His freedom came from having no obligations and no financial restraints, not from his vehicle of choice.

I agree with the original poster, riding is not about freedom - unless by freedom you mean being less affected by traffic jams, but most of us have a bit wider definition of that term. Riding doesn't make you more free, or less free - it just gets you from A to B in a way that is sometimes more fun and more involving than getting there in a car, or a bus... and that's enough, it doesn't have to be anything more than that.

18. For true freedom own both a convertible and a sports bike. Then you also have the freedom to choose

:D

19. I will add that its a "Lifestyle' as well as "Freedom",being outside in the fresh air/rain/sun/wind instead of being inside a steel box, with the ability to control the machine in any way your skill will allow.

In a car you dont have the choice/"Freedom" you do on a bike.

Thats my bit addded anyways hehe