Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The First Thing You Do

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Mr Owl PhD, Oct 10, 2015.

1. This is a joke but it's not a joke but it is...

OK so you're tooling down a country road with only the occasional cow for company, as you round a gentle curve you hit a patch of gravel and have a bit of a get off. What is the first thing you do, the absolute first before anything else, before you even have time to think...

This was told to me by Warick Schuberg in one of the original Stay Upright courses about 30 years ago and it's as relevant today as it was then.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Hit the kill switch?

3. The suspense is killing me, user11235813user11235813. Is it (assuming you're not hurt badly) looking around to see if anyone saw you fall off the motorcycle?

4. You got it. It says a lot about human nature.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It does indeed. I haven't yet crashed or dropped my motorcycle but I have done a few silly, absent-minded things. I know you won't tell anyone if I tell you one such thing.

I filled up with petrol a few weeks ago, paid, and got back on my motorcycle. Turned the key, flipped the kill-switch and pressed the starter. The engine started as reliably as Yamahas are reputed to do.

Put it into first gear - dead. I'm sure you and just about anyone reading this will know what the problem was - and I had known too but it took three repeats of that procedure to work out that my side-stand was still down.

Now, what was the first thing I did after that? I don't think anyone was looking because I had a good look around me to see. Talk about riding home with my tail between my legs, the lady at the petrol station probably thinking, 'And they gave you a motorcycle licence...'.

• Funny Funny x 2

6. Justus.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1