Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The financial meltdown, snappping snake heads, and now this!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mickyb V9, Oct 7, 2008.

1. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24458835-2,00.html

Lets hope the people who have calculated the size of this NEO aren't the same ones working at Wall Street !

Where is Bruce Willis when you need him !!

2. I fail to see the problem .. :?

:LOL: j/k :bolt:
  3. "It would be visible from eastern Africa and would evaporate over Sudan, the scientists said.

"We really hope that someone will manage to photograph it," said Mr Williams."

Photograph it?
    With what?
    They would be more inclined to shoot it.
  4. c'mon haven't you guys memorised the script to Armagedon. Where Billy Bob says the asteroids are the size of backetballs to volkswagens !

The articles says most of these are the size of grains of sand ! :eek: . . and this is suppose to be 1m to 5m in size ! :eek: :eek: :shock:
  5. Well we're all still here.

I love the fact that it could be 1m in diameter or 5m. 5m is 125 times bigger than 1m when it comes to volume.
  6. the size of an object like this is worked out using luminosity, which in turn is dictated by surface features, composition, and diameter.

given that they can't see the fine details of the object, they have narrowed it down to the specified range, which is within one order of magnitude, so thats pretty accurate in the scheme of things.

If they said that it could be 1m or 100m, then i'd be a little worried.