Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The FEAR

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by dims, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Hey everyone. I think i have 'the fear'.

I've been riding a ZX2R and looking to upgrade very soon. When i first bought it i used to be scared and think to myself, how can anyone want anything bigger?
    Now i'm very comfortable with my 2R, i can fully open her up and feel like i can handle it well.

I've been riding for about (11 months).

Anyway, looking at getting a bigger bike as i feel like i want more power, but at the same time, i have this fear that i won't be able to handle the power. Any idea how to get over this?

I was thinking maybe getting on a thousand and do a track day or two to get used to it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Ok now you have riding in a straight line sorted out :LOL:
    Are you seriously saying you can outride your bike?
    Try a track day on yours first. Do some rider training then see if there is anything left.
    My 2c worth :wink:

3. This question is asked so many times.. Just go out and check em all out. Buy the one you like and ride it to what ever your abilities are. Remember once you go beyond your abilities, you will come unstuck.

Now as for the bikes abilities, i dont think there would honestly be too many people who could ride a bike to its limits..

4. Yeah I agree, you've got a pretty quick two-fiddy there. If you reckon you can max that out through twisties I dont think you'd have any quarms about getting on something bigger.

Anyway, this comes up time and time again. Take it slow and let yourself get used to a bigger bike and you'll be fine.

Nerves will keep you safe, too.

5. Bigger bikes aren't anything scarey once you've taken the time to get use to them, doesn't matter on the bhp or the sensitive throttle, you'll be use to it in no time, just take it easy until then.

6. I had the same feeling when I started out riding 5months ago. I've been riding heaps since then (needed it to get to work and uni). I'm almost up to my first 10000km on it.

Up to about 5000km I found the bike to be faster than what I can handle. Recently I started to explore my limits abit and see how much I can push myself. When Im trying to find my limit I'll proceeded with caution cause I know that if I push it abit too far I'll become unstuck for sure...

I think what you can do is just ride in own abilities. Also try out track days as well. You'll have a pretty good idea what you're abilities are. I'm iching to try track days/race school on my bike. I just needed to collect some money first though.

For which bike to upgrade to. This is what I'm thinking of doing. I'll be upgrading to 600 after my restriction (in 10 months time). I'll stick to 600 for a while prob 1+ years. Then I'll upgrade again to 1000+ cc. But do go and try out bikes. When you try them u'll probably have a good idea which ones you're comfortable with...

7. Hi Dims,
    have had the discussion of "The Fear"
    with most of my mates that are bike riders,
    A mate of mine said
    "the day I no longer had any feeling of fear before getting on my bike,
    was the day I sold it"
    He had a really nice GSXR750.

My take,
    Some feeling of fear and adrenaline is good,
    it is the understanding that riding has dangers.

Bigger bike,
    yes it takes time to understand and get used to the way it handles,
    the way the power comes on as you open the throttle,
    is part of the fun, learning a new bike.

I had my CBR900 for 4 years,
    and I was still leaning about it everytime I took it for a ride.
    doing minor suspension setting changes,
    getting a good tune up,
    new tyres, newer tread patterns and compounds,
    is endless learning curve,
    but was steeper at the start.

Track days are a safe way of learning how your bike performs,
    and fun too.
    like 2wheels said, have a go at a track day on your current ride,
    may give you a new insight into it,
    and show you stuff you didn't previously know.

Cheers
    Chris.

8. dims, take it from a woman who calls herself 'stump'

a bigger bike is much safer. you got the poke you need if a car takes your lane with traffic on ya left, and 2 disk breaks, which is bloody vital!

you want safety? upgrad now!

those who die on the day they upgrade are d'heads, i assure you.

cheers :cool:

9. The ZX2R has got twin disc on the front but a bit of extra grunt wouldn't hurt.

Being able to go forwards in a hurry can be a good thing sometimes safety wise.

10. If you have self control then upgrade...

Bigger bikes have far better brakes, suspension and of course more power...just don't jump straight on and ride it like your 250 or your in for a world of hurt. I went from a 250 to an 1100 and was all worried about it being daunting...provided you treat the throttle with respect and take your time getting used to the bike before pushing it a bit you will be fiine.

What are you looking at?

11. Dims, there is one thing you should never forget - Fear is what keeps you safe and alive.

As you progress to the next phase of your riding career, you are going to make huge leaps in "confidence".

And then - you will enter the "overconfidence" phase. This is the point at which many riders forget that "fear is very healthy". This is the phase when many riders come to grief, and some even die.

If you can get through the overconfident phase - then you will live to a ripe old age.

Fear - it keeps me alive, sensitive to what I can and can't do, conscious of the need to know where all the cars are etc and most of all how to control "what is between my ears" - because - in the end the only thing about a bike which is dangerous is what's between the ears of the person riding it..... (I didn't come up with this statement - it was told to me by a wise man whose name I have since forgotten).

12. maybe consider a vtwin... the power is much less agressive, and you will learn more about engine braking and torque control. V-twins (modern) have a good centre of gravity, and most will allow you to sit in a more upright position to allow you to menouvre the bike underneath you without felling like ur riding a rocketship. Im on a GSXR600, and its 2 aggro, and I'm close to 99% on butying a 1600cc MT-01 monster, which i could probably easily outride it on the 600. Try some bikes, try different engine layouts... The profect balance is maybe a triumph, with 3 cyclinders... a good balance, or even a VFR with a vee-four... The decision is yours, but my advice - testy ride, test ride and more test ride... Trust me, you dont need a 1000cc inline 4 on the road.

13. V-Twin - would love to but the v-twin i want is waayy out of my price range. I'll get one in about 5 years or so.

I should've mentioned before when i said i'm comfortable with it, i ment straight line, redlining each gear :p
    Corners are a different thing, i KNOW the ZX2R is more than capable for corners than i am, however i mean on the straights.

I know a bike is as powerful as you give it, but at the same time, how does ANYONE handle a thousand and push it to a combined limit of theirs and their bike?

In general, i'm more of a straight line junkie than corners. i LOVE the feeling of acceleration, gives me a chubby. oops. hope i can say that...

In general i'm not one of those guys that are stupid and are just going to be the next statistic, i feel like i'm a very safe rider (naive, i know) but i won't go speeding, line splitting through traffic etc. The only time i really give it a bit is on the freeways where i know there is no traffic around so worse case scenario its only myself that will be coming off 2nd best...

14. i heard ducati 1098 is awesome

15. Yes, you can even say "erection" if you want or "boner" or "hard-on".

Just don't say fcuk as you will magically get letters replaced. :LOL:

16. Thats why its 5 years down the track. And i really don't want this thread to get into a inline vs twins debate.

17. A big bike is fine dude. Just remember, it will only go as fast as you want it to. I went from a 250 to a 1000 in about 6 months of riding and im still here. I have self control tho. It all depends on what type of person you are. If youre an 18yo rossi wannabe hoon then take out some life insurance to at least look after your loved ones when youre gone. But if you have respect for your machine and half a brain, things will be fine. :grin:

18. Easy? thousands can seem under powered at times, makes you wish they had atlest a 1600cc superbike(not those sports tourers). Oh well maybe in a couple decades.

19. black spur!

20. I love how this comes from a guy with a 250. Not saying u've never ridden a tho, but just reminding u ur on a 250 and ur posts look like u talk S#IT :blah: :wink: