Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Experienced Riderz !?!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by getnkd, Sep 14, 2009.

1. hi everyone,

ive been riding for almost a year now and ive gone on afew ride outs with the big boys the much more experience riders, they seem to ride way way faster then i do and take corners really smooth and such.
    i stick to my own limits thats for sure, though i wonder how they do it, to me they seem fearless taking tight corners at really fast speeds. will i get to that stage where i will ride alot more confident n faster as years go by with more experience or do i have to go through varies training regimes n track days to develop my skills?!

2. Practice and experience, no one is excellent at something straight away. I found that i would learn a lot each time i went for a ride in the twisties and would get smoother and more comfortable each time, no doubt training courses and track days would help too.
  3. for me the biggest help was getting to a track with your road bike, once you are put in a safe environment you can really see how much grip your tyres offer up.

Once you know that you start to trust them on the road more.

The other secret i found was being able to read the road further ahead, touring really helped me with this side of things and rarely will i road the same road 2 weeks straight so i am always in different areas not allowing myself to get used to anyone one road (sure you start to remember the few tricky areas/turns) but everything is always changing.

Then like said above practice, practice, practice.....have you been to a advanced rider course, those that teach emergency braking mid corner? Remember just because you can fly around a corner can you/do you have the ability to brake/adjust you line mid corner if needed.....all things that i consider as set my speed and approach each corner....

Lastly remember there will also be someone faster then you and someone slower then you.

4. You are doing fine mate, just ride at your pace, you will get faster.

Take an advanced course if you can though and get some track time.

Stewy's post is right on the money.

There are alot of variables in corners and alot of things can go wrong. Push your boundaries but keep it at your pace.

As long as you don't get ahead of yourself and don't have something silly run in front of you, you will be fine.
  5. Ride lots on the road to improve your ability to know what's coming up.

Ride lots on the track and in training sessions to improve your ability to handle the bike.
  6. I agree with everything above, I would also add that when I first started I was riding with a group a lot more experienced than me, while you sometimes got left behind often the more experienced guys would sit behind you and offer up some constructive hints and tips, I found their help invaluable in helping me to improve as a rider.

7. +1 to what the others said.

Learning to read the road and plan ahead for the next corner - not just the one you're about to enter - is a good skill to develop.

Cornering lines also have a major effect on things. Turning in too soon can make all the difference between cruising casually around a corner and needing a change of underwear, despite using the same entry speed.
  8. +1 to all above.

I've learned alot from riding with alot more experienced riders, guides and self experimentation.

Get out there and practice!

I'll also add that usually the more experienced riders have much better equipment that is set up for them, not saying someone can't do it on a crapper. But it helps having better suspension, braking etc.
  9. cheers everyone!! all your replys have been great !!

10. +1 to what everyone's said, gr8 people with gr8 info :)

It seems we've been riding a similar amount of time, however what I've done differently is that when I saw myself trying to do what I read & saw other riders do, (in cornering) I realised that mentally I was getting in my own way!! So the only way to contend this, knowing myself well, was to get out & do it with some coaching!!
    So, I decided to spend some well deserved money on myself doing a Intermediate Stay Upright course.

When the day came along, I almost cancelled & stayed under the covers as it was blowing a gale & raining pretty hard :twisted: In hindsight, I'm glad I persevered as I realised it was the best conditions to learn in & counter fears!! Yes the instructors were brilliant, the content was exactly what I was looking for. However it did take me a number of months to translate & trust myself/bike with my newly attained skills/technique, yet it came together with lots of practise.

Nowadays, I'm allot faster in corners, but most importantly I'm more comfortable & confident in prepping for them as well as my awareness on the rd.

I still can't wheelie, but I'm working on this too with the dirt bike :LOL: I digress!!

Other riders can def assist in providing feedback, so utilise this, best of luck whatever u choose to do, its all learning, positive & a stack of fun!
  11. You could always ask for some mentoring assistance from one of the NR mentors if there is one reasonably close by to you.

As for experience.....any experience is of value, but it's far better to make sure the experience you gain, is the right kind of experience, so it's value is maximized - it's alot harder to undo poor technique than it is to learn to do it the right way in the first place...

Anyway...at this stage, focus on the fundimentals, and listen to the good advice listed by the other blokes in this thread. :)

....riding with other riders who do actually know what they are doing, can be of immense benefit.

be cautious judging yourself against unknown guys that wizz past you, and ride your own ride etc.

12. Dear OP, you've got a lot of helpful info... here's some more.

Experienced riders look as far through the corner as possible. The earlier that info gets through your eyes and processed by your brain, the slower the corner "seems". Most noobs DO NOT DO THIS. Lift your eyes up.

In regards to corners, this usually means "looking with your chin"... i.e., turn your whole head when looking at the furthest point you can in the corner - point your chin at that point whilst keeping your eyes as horizontally level as you can. You WILL get used to it.

Sometimes you can see the exit, other times you can only see the vanishing point (look it up). Don't forget you can also look through paddocks or gulleys and see where the road ends up without actually seeing the actual exit... that'll tell you in advance whether the corner opens or tightens up.

Experienced riders tend to use their body positioning to help their bike corner (this is not always necessary though). Weight shifting is a topic all of it's own... but at noob level, grip the tank with your knees and use core muscles to unload the weight of your body on the bars (chicken wingz reminds you to relax your elbows & shoulders), let your chin drag your head and upper body toward the mirror - it helps to drop the shoulder and bend the elbow when doing this. You carry most of your weight in the upper body - USE IT!

Finally, throttle control. The most stable a bike can be when going through a corner is with an even or rear biased weight balance. So until you're more experienced, ENTER a corner at a constant speed (finish your braking before the entry and maintain speed), crack the throttle a frag when leaned to avoid slowing down, then as soon as you are comfortable, open up the throttle gradually and smoothly in one constant application to drive you out of the corner. This will put a slight weight bias on the rear (thicker) wheel and your bike will feel planted. And it'll give you a maniacal grin when it all works. :D

The other thing is that experienced riders trust their tyres and they just lean the bike over to whatever lean angle their speed requires. Noobs tend to lean bikes over to the lean angle they're comfortable with. There's a BIG difference.

On a track you get to play with all or any combination of the above and start exploring limits from there. Track based courses or track days are good.

FYI, I was with a group of friends who did a knee down course a couple of years back on VTR250's. This was done on an enclosed range going around in circles. One of our group had the bike leaned over so far that she was dragging the muffler on the ground... I don't think the tyres would have appreciated that lean angle at 100km/h but at 35ish kms the bike happily leaned over that far without issue. Until you're dragging stuff, you've still got lean angle... USE IT. The engineers designed their bikes and tyres for this exact purpose... it's often said and it's very true, your bike has bigger balls than you.

+1 do some courses and do some reading and when any rider gives you "tips" make sure they explain what's behind the tip and how it works with the bike's design, otherwise take it with a grain of salt.

Goodluck with your riding.
  13. Great post Rob!

The first thing i did when i got my bike back on the road was get out on the twisties to get my confidence back up and to remind my body that I can crank it over without the bike tossing me off.

I was actually surprised how quickly I started to function normally on the bike after this, I thought I would be avoiding big lean due to my time off but a few corners in I was feeling very heavily at home. :)