Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The (expected) axe finally falls for Ford employees

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, May 23, 2013.

1. Good diversion plan by Ford. I'll reserve judgement until an official announcement is made, rather than go on media speculation.
  2. #3 Roarin, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
    Only 10 minutes to wait. They're going all imports. Engine plant and body shop are closing.

She'll is for sale, most likely become an import terminal.

Alcoa will be next. Welcome to the welfare country. Funded by massive holes in the ground, and f#ck all else.
  3. Over the years, the routine has usually been....

Ford: We're going to put out of Oz.

Government of the day: Please don't, here is a few truck loads of money for you to stay.

Ford: Oh. OK.

Last time we played this game, I have a feeling that Ford took the money and promised to stay in Oz until at least 2015, but I might be making this up, so don't ask for chapter and verse.
  4. Wait for it...Some poli will send some cash over to get them to stay.

If you think about it, it does make sense keeping Ford here. It's not the 1200 direct jobs that will be lost, it's the thousands along the way from manufacturing, design, logistics, everything.
  5. of course, but with wages as demanded by our unions being unsustainable against R&D, tooling, manufacture and promotion/advertising in our fly-speck market, this was always going to happen. Ford have been signalling this for years; when was the last time you saw a Ford TV advertisement for the Falcon?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Well, they ARE staying until 2016, so I guess that means they don't have to give it back :rolleyes:

Keeping 1000 design and engineering jobs. Not sure why TBH, even if these guys do know their stuff.
  7. Being a Ford supporter it is sad to see, although expected. I don't blame them. Manufacturing was never going to be good here with union always fighting for higher wages increasing end product cost in all aspects. High dollar, lack of advertisement and no exporting wasn't helping the cause.
  8. Hornet, don't know if you watch the market, but how are large car sales going in Oz? Pretty bad, so why advertise something no one wants? BTW, I see the ecoboost Falcon ad running at least twice every evening.
  9. Remember, it's not just the Ford workers who stand to loose their jobs. The flow on effect could be devastating.

Well, I can remember hearing an 'industry expert' in the late 70's (might have been early 80's) saying that realistically Australia could only support one local car manufacturer/Assembler. So who will it be Holden or Toyota.
  10. It would be interesting to see how much it costs to keep making the Falcadores. I don't think Ford or GM produce a single country car for any other markets other than the US.

It can't be cheap.
  11. I agree, Holden are feeling the pinch too for the same reasons.
    I haven't seen a Falcon advertised on TV for ages, but I live in NSW and maybe their advertising budget is spent differently from state to state?
    I think the 'Holden and Toyota' scenario outlined above is pretty-well inevitable, but a lot of THAT will depend on how the new front-drive Holden sells. Toyota's dominance is helped along by Hi-Lux and Hi-Ace sales; if they had to compete head to head with Holden in the full-sized-car sector, rear-drive Commodore against front-drive Camry/Aurion the results might be different.
  12. Fords mantra has always been " A functional car for the masses. And a large profit for Henry. And I own one. And sorry to say I wouldn't buy another Ford. Not because the car is bad, it's not bad at all and nicer to drive than the Commodore.
    It's what happens with Ford after you lay your cash down that has closed the door on Ford for me. I think they came in at #13 for customer satisfaction last year. I believe Hyundai was #8. And I have tasted their poor service first hand a few times.
    I think we pay too much for new cars here. And I "think the prices are set to make our cars more competitive.
    TBH if they want less people to die then get them out of the heaps of crap their driving and put them in something with a decent safety rating that has brakes that work.
    Ford has paid back all the loans and grants the Gov has dished them. Henry hasn't but boasted a bigger profit last year than Ford.

If a global car means a better safer car at a cheaper cost... Then I cant complain about that. The world turns and you have to keep up. It doesn't stop for anyone and the writing has been on the wall for a long time at our car industry.

Yet you have to wonder. Hyundai wants to open an assembly plant here.... Or maybe that's just a front for their own smelter.
  13. It is interesting that we blame the unions, and yet pay more for the luxury of a BMW or Mercedes. Australian costs are higher than other countries. Some of that is the high dollar, thanks to our mining saviours (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_disease ). Some is labour. But a lot of it is historical carry over from high protection, low efficiency operations from the 70's.

The culture of manufacturing in Australia is to make products for Australians, rather than make products for the whole world. Until that changes, and we develop a culture of manufacturing the best in the world, and can charge accordingly, we are going to be competing with countries like Indonesia, with lower wages the point of differentiation.

Why buy a Ford? They are not the best car. They are not the cheapest car.
  14. Reminds me of the car industry in the UK in the 60s and 70s. They had several strong car makers, only their unionised workforce was always demanding more and more money. Now they make nothing.

Honestly if we didnt have the mining boom here our economy would be absolutely stuffed on a greek/spanish scale.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Its always been a given that no auto manufacturers will be sustainable in Australia, Toyota and Holden will be next.

Its close to impossible to sell Australian cars overseas not because of the car itself but because of unfair tarrifs and other barriers............Australia on the welcomes these overseas manufacturers....its pretty much an unfair playing ground, and Australian manufacturers are at a disadvantage.
  16. It's also because of the cars themselves, try and sell a 4l sedan in Europe and people will be wondering if they've gone back in time...:banghead:
  17. It was never sustainable here, certainly without the Gov (or Taxpayer) grants/bribes/sweeteners.

The 1000 or whatever related jobs going is a shame, but that's life and the writing has been on the wall for years. There's still enough of a heads up to look elsewhere, retrain, move, whatever it takes to earn a living doing something else that hopefully has a better future.
  18. ............ ain't that the truth!

Funny how a lot of the senior Union bosses here in Aussie seem to have rather strong north of England accents :whistle:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. falcon and territory were always going to cease production soemtime around 2016. I think that's more or less aligned with the Eu5 emissions coming in. It's disappointing that the company has decided to totally stop manufacting as we all hoped that at least there would be some work assembling the imports in a knock-down manner. Still, there's plenty of time for a change of mind and a change of government. Maybe the sums will change and the governernment will decide it costs more in welfare to support our workers, their families and the families of all the associated suppliers than it does to subsidise some level of manufacturing. Remember the engine plant was going to shut and that got turned around.