Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Eleven Rules of Life

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rc36, Jul 18, 2005.

1. “The Eleven Rules of Life” By Bill Gates

To anyone with kids, of any age, here’s some advice that Bill Gates recently gave at a school Speech Night about the 11 things that students did not learn at school. He talked about how feel-good, politically-correct teaching has created a full generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this is setting them up for failure in the real world.

So, here are Bill Gates’s 11 rules of life.

Rule 1.
    Life is not fair – get used to it

Rule 2.
    The world doesn’t care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3.
    You will NOT make 40 thousand a year straight out of high school. You won’t be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn them both.

Rule 4.
    If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He/She doesn’t have tenure.

Rule 5.
    Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for flipping burgers - they called it opportunity.

Rule 6.
    If you mess up, it’s not your parents’ fault, so don’t whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7.
    Before you were born, your parents weren’t as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forests from the parasites of your parents’ generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8.
    Your school may have done away with winners and losers but life hasn’t. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they’ll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This does not bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9.
    Life is not divided into semesters. You don’t get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10.
    Television is NOT real life. In real life, people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11.
    Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll probably end up working for one.

2. Sounds like Bill Gates learnt from the same secondary school teachers I had.
    We were told that some of us would spend the whole of our life pushing a broom for a council, some of us would work in factories or offices, but only a few of us wouls scale the heights to management or beyond, if we applied ourselves. Learn to be happy with your lot, but always attempt to better yourselves where possible.

The only rule I can see that BG left out, and I think should be;

12; Be responsible for your actions, you did it, you fix it, you wear it.

3. He can't do that one, Shane. He is responsible for Windoze, remember.
  4. From http://www.snopes.com/language/document/liferule.htm

"This list is the work of Charles J. Sykes, author of the book Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves But Can't Read, Write, Or Add. (The list has appeared in newspapers, although not necessarily in this book.) Many versions omit the last three rules:

Rule No. 12: Smoking does not make you look cool. It makes you look moronic. Next time you're out cruising, watch an 11-year-old with a butt in his mouth. That's what you look like to anyone over 20. Ditto for "expressing yourself" with purple hair and/or pierced body parts.

Rule No. 13: You are not immortal. (See Rule No. 12.) If you are under the impression that living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse is romantic, you obviously haven't seen one of your peers at room temperature lately.

Rule No. 14: Enjoy this while you can. Sure parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be a kid. Maybe you should start now. You're welcome.

and http://www-hoover.stanford.edu/bios/sykes.html reckons,

"Charles J. Sykes was a research fellow at the Hoover Institution. He is a well-known author who writes on education, welfare reform, free market economics, social trends, and privacy issues.

Sykes is also a senior fellow at the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, where he serves as editor in chief of the policy journal WI: Wisconsin Interest.

Sykes has a long-held interest in K–12 education. A sharp critic of the current education system, his writing and commentary provide thought-provoking ideas on education reform. He is currently working on an anthology on education reform."

In other words, a reactionary know-it-all fruitcake...
  5. .... who just happens to be right.

Kindred spirits.
  6. do it but dont get caught
  7. Or strumming just the guitar his target audience wants to hear.

If what he's saying is so profound, why is it doing the rounds of the internet under a false attribution?
    (interesting how you don't have anything to say about that...)
  8. Rule 5.
    Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for flipping burgers - they called it opportunity.

I get lots of people applying at work wanting to be coach drivers, not many wanting to be route bus drivers and bugger all people asking about school bus driving jobs. We tell people we hire our coach drivers from our existing route service drivers, that we hire our route service drivers from our existing school bus drivers and our existing full time school bus drivers mostly from our existing part time and casual driver pool.

About 3/4's of people walk straight away when they realise they have to start off driving school buses (simple vehicles, close to the depot, no money skills needed).

It's the pay difference I hear you saying? Nah... that's about $10 a week.

What it is... is people regarding jobs that look after kids as being low status. Carers, kindergarten teachers, primary teachers, school bus drivers all suffer from the same stigma (secondary teachers also to a lesser extent).

Rule 5 doesn't just apply to burgers... many industries have these perception issues.
  9. Yeh, well I AM a teacher and I can tell you that, in the last 30 years, education HAS been dumbed down. And that's not open to argument from where I sit.

I think you will find that there are plenty of kids out there who could take a job but don't because it's beneath their dignity.

The same ones who have to wear Nikes and RayBans rather than no-name shoes and shades because they are the trendy brand names... Sad really.
  10. Not to mention completely unheard of in 1970-odd, huh?
  11. Has somebody woken you by playing on your bridge?

Can you please enlighten me as to what the association is between the profundity of a concept, the internet and the fact that somebody has attributed words to someone else incorrectly that invalidates the message?

"Of course, he doesn't mean just burger flippers - he means all workers in the fast food industry......" (with apologies to "Life of Brian").

Gotta agree. I had them straight out of uni wanting a company car and expenses to be an electronics design engineer. They didn't want to know that they knew jack-shit and we had to re-train them to bring them up to what the industry expected and needed. Others were applying for an electronics assembler position and wanted to know why they couldn't start as a progammer of the surface mount assembly machine.
  12. "Incorrectly" implies that the cause of the misattribution was accidental...

...taking the state-the-obvious musings of an obscure academic (and that doesn't raise a chuckle with you; that the purveyor of these hard home-truths has spent his professional life hiding from the exact same real world he claims to be shoving in these slacker kids' faces... on my planet, we call that shit "hypocrisy") and passing them off as being the words of someone far better known and more widely acknowledged as successful is a deliberate hoax.

"Oh, yeah, he's lying about that, but it's ok, because this other stuff he's saying makes sense to me."

Is that how you see it?
    (I asked you something first, don't forget)

For you to have had a fresh engineering graduate sit before you and ask for a company car and an expense account as part of their package, you'd have had to have had a design engineer vacancy going, and you would have had to have invited fresh engineering graduates to interview for it.

Since no design/R&D department head I've ever met would even consider a graduate for a design role, did you have a penchant for wasting your time then, or do you just make up stories to back up your position in an argument today?
  13. Good one, nil.

10 out of 10
  14. well,

.. there's another post stuffed, time to move on, he can't ruin them all, can he????
  15. My apologies for presuming you to have the mental agility to realise that my,

posted in response to RC's

might refer to something other than just the two brands he mentions in passing...

...or did you just see me using URL's in my retorts and thought, "Blimey, that looks effective. I'll give it a go"?
  16. If you do, remember....It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D
  17. Re: well,

So long as they're on this forum, I can.
    (there's a hint in that, btw)
  18. I believe you must work in a different environment than I do.
    As a secondary teacher I see kids willing to work in anything.
    Education hasn't been dumbed down PARENTING has.
    I see it every day.