Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Ducati goes down! Some post-accident thoughts

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by taiheung, Dec 14, 2008.

1. So today I went for a ride up the Old Pac, I hadn't been riding at all in a few weeks and thought I'd take some well known roads to ease back into it. I was giving it a bit but well and truely off my normal riding pace, I wasn't in the mood to break the speed limit and wasn't feeling too crash hot already; a lack of sleep and wonderful headache the cause. Anyway, after doing the usual run and stop off at Warrior's, I left to make my way home. Three corners north of the Old Pac, and still not feeling fantastic, I lost concentration coming into a corner and started to run wide. I grabbed a whole bunch of front break, the rear cut loose and next thing I know I had low-sided across both lanes and into the dirt. The mistake was entirely my own, I am not externalising the events that occured in any way.

What I would like to bring attention to is how INVALUABLE proper protective gear is. On my trek up the Old Pac I saw countless riders in less than appropriate gear, or none at all. I too have my moments, eg that ride up to the shops etc, but there was only one thing that stood between me and the road's gravel - it was my gear! I hit the road on the left side and tore straight through the outside of my textiles due to my knee being initially under the bike. What saved me however was the padding under the textile, which took a beating but did its job. My pants are Codura and a similar concept to Kevlar jeans, it makes me wonder how a pair of those would have stood up as they do not have protective inserts. The other places to also take a beating as I slid then rolled through the corner were my gloves and jacket - both full leather, the gloves have knuckles which shaved down a considerable amount and the jacket, a Dainese Delmar, has only mild abrasions across both arms. The heavy padding and titanium inserts in the shoulders worked amazingly, and have been worth the many months of "crab lookalike" comments.

So ultimately what I'm trying to say is - please, for yourself if not those that love you, make sure you invest in proper gear. Don't cut corners, it really is the difference between getting up and dusting off versus being carried away on a stretcher then having a nurse dust the gravel out of your flesh with a metal wire brush.

To put it another way - had I not been wearing protective clothing, leather, or even not have had padding and protective inserts in my pants, shoes, and jacket, then this would be the current damage:
    Skinned down and past the bone on the knee, textile torn straight through. Skinning on left shoulder blade, left and right arms and left ankle. Skinned knuckles and palms and had I been wearing an open face then possible skinned chin where the edge of my helmet would have grabbed the road, throwing my face into the gravel.

If anyone's interested, my gear was:
    BMW Sport Integral Helmet
    Dainese Delmar leather jacket - with back protector
    BMW Sneaker 2 Shoes
    BMW Codura City Trousers with inserts
    Alpinestar Octane S-Moto Gloves

This is the worst of the damage to my gear, there is a lot more across all my clothing but it is too hard to photograph. I just want to show where other types of 'protective' clothing would have failed, or not have prevented bruising or damage.

2. Sorry to hear about the accident - good to hear all's sorted

Yeah maybe, but how many of them.....

Apologies in advance for the soapbox, but IMHO more INVALUABLE would have been being more mentally alert. Had a car been in the other lane heading towards you - you would have really made their day as well....and the gear could well have only played a very minor part in keeping you alive (although plus one on the back protector).
  3. A couple of badges of honour there to wear around!
    Thanks for sharing.

How did your bike come out of it? I assume you managed to ride home? since you didn't mention having to organise transport home?

4. Not the 848 :(

They deserve better than an Old Pac lowside, dude.
    Couldn't you have T-boned a Lamborghini or something?
  5. Depends on the implementation and denier rating of the Cordura and the implementation and fibre mix of the Kevlar. Kevlar doesn't stretch like Cordura does, but low-denier Cordura is going to tear, as seen in your case.
  6. There was a lambo on the old pac today
  7. Sad to hear that happened to you champ. Unfortunate thats for sure. My mate came off his Ducati 749 yesterday too, a P-plater cager cut the corner and he had no-where to go but off the road and slid, same thing as you his gear saved him leaving only small scratches.
  8. Sorry to hear about your duc.
    And there is the main reason you went for a slide. Never ever EVER grab the front break if you think you have gone in to hot. That alone will see you sliding on your arse 8 out of 10 times.
  9. Heal well mate.

Yes definitely the gear esp knee guards etc will exponentially reduce the amount of grief.

Hope you will be back on the saddle again. Everybody stacks sometime or another. Getting up and telling the tale is always a win, and learning from it is the must. Cheers
  10. What's the point of THAT Q? :roll: :-k What does it matter "how many"?

Taiheung has already said the stack was no-ones fault but his own, lesson has been learned and was sharing his thankfulness for at least wearing the right gear during his "error of judgement"

No brainer
  11. Sorry to hear mate.. hows the duccc
  12. Was in relation to OP worrying about what other riders were wearing and not so much his own preparation for riding

Too often we read on here about squid this and squid that, coupled with the vast majority of accidents being the riders fault.

If you can't see what I was aiming at - then just make sure you wear all your gear :wink:
  13. Toecutter, I know - I had been nagging myself not to go because of my state, but the other half got the better of me and next thing I'm sneaking in a mid morning ride. My better judgement usually looks after me, but the bug bit and I couldn't ignore it - my bad! It is a valid point, and I should have just sat infront of the soap box all day to be fair but the reason for my post was more inline with what blacknblue had mentioned. My first mistake was hoping on the bike, but regardless of my reason for hoping on the bike at least I did it in full protective gear - had I not, it would have been a lot worse.

Regarding wiping out - to describe the exact situation, it wasn't that I had come in too hot, as I was near the speed limit, but that I had completely distracted myself and not set up for the corner correctly. I remember staring at an oncoming set of bikes and a car that were coming through the corner, my mind just off in la la land, when I woke up and realised I had left it too late and was THEN too hot for the corner - if that makes sense. Bike low-sided on the left rather graciously, I slid, then rolled and the bike got stuck in a whole bunch of dirt. I am kicking myself. Really, really, kicking myself. The whole day I was just not as sharp as I should have been, constantly locking the rear, reacting slower than I should have, and this was just the inevitable. The worst of it all - it turned out I'd headed the wrong way anyway and had to ride back past Road Warrior's to take the route I had originally intended - which was twistiless and right back onto the freeway (due to wanting to avoid the twisties).

On reflection, had I been on the ball and in the exact same scenario I'd have just dropped deep into the corner. Easing off the throttle there would have been no need to apply either brake. It's far from a tight corner and my lack of concentration got the better of me - such a rookie mistake, so my bruised ego keeps reminding me.

Damage to the 848 is I guess as good as it's going to get. it's rideable - the clutch lever didn't snap off, but it did bend making it very hard to use. The gear level snapped off, and so I lost complete leverage. I had to really squeeze my foot against the bike to find what was left of the lever. The chassis has no visible damage and rides straight. Damage to all left fairings, including engine casing hidden behind left fairing where left fairing tore away. Left indicator goneski and plenty of rash and shaving all down the left hand side.
  14. You make a good point taiheung.
    No de-gloving incident.
    I made a priority of buying leathers and quality protective gear before buying my bike.
    I hope that your Ducati heals qulckly.
  15. Now see... if you'd grab some brake instead of taken a break you might not have fallen off :wink:
  16. Wasn't born with a crystal ball to decipher vague replies

taiheung was sharing his story, not looking for a soapbox reply ... if you couldn't see that, you need a crystal ball as well :LOL:
  17. Sorry to hear of your off mate. The Duc can be fixed however, and thankfully your injuries will heal. It's easy to ignore the warning signs and just go with the flow. I've ridden a few times, only to arrive at my destination thinking .. I shouldn't have taken the bike. ( although most of the time I have no option ).
  18. First, glad you're OK dude. :wink:

This looks like an ad for full leather imho. Look at how that cordura shredded and look at the little scuff mark on the jacket! :shock:

Lucky it wasn't any more serious or that cordura might not have done so good.

Hope the bike mends quickly too mate..... :cry:
  19. glad to hear you walked away......but where are the pics of the bike?
  20. Spot on!

Until you come to the point of seeing from experience why not everybody needs to be an atgatt zealot, you probably need to be one!

And yes, gear is great, as Taihung just showed!