Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured The day of "Firsts"

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Fr33dm, May 24, 2015.

1. #1 Fr33dm, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    I got my L's four weeks ago. I did think that by now I'd be zooming along and keeping to a speed limit. Well, full time work, wet weather and probably total lack of prior riding experience put a nice brake on my plans. So far I've been practicing around a quiet block of streets after 9pm with an average speed of 25-30km/h.

Today I had my friend JozlynJozlyn coming over to practice with me. All we planned to do was to ride to a quiet industrial area to practice slow riding... Nah, forget that! The day was great for a ride, so off we went!

1. My first time filling up petrol.
    2. My first time mixing in with Sunday traffic.
    3. My first time riding through town centre.
    4. My first time going through two roundabouts and a set of traffic lights.
    5. My first time of keeping to a speed limit and not being phased by cars around me.
    6. My first time riding out of town and getting in few lovely corners (well, they were bends, but for the sake of this post I'll call them corners) both right and left.
    7. My first time reaching 100km/h (again I definitely saw 97, that's close enough)
    8. My first Nod from a HD rider

I didn't stuff up, I didn't panic, I didn't stall and I had soooo much fun!!! I had small concerns before buying my bike if I'd be able to handle 194kg CBR500RA. I'm now convinced I made the right choice. My bike is awesome, and I felt very safe riding it.

I know that all this overexcited rambling sounds like nothing really special to the most of you. But I know that every single one of you has been through the same regardless how long ago. And in any case, every rider knows how awesome it feels after a nice ride ;)

I am very grateful to JozlynJozlyn for being here with me and watching my back. I know that having her here made the whole experience much more relaxed and enjoyable.

Stopped at Pomonal on the way to Halls Gap, the heart of Grampians, before turning back home. Good effort for the first outing. Next time we'll have our coffee'n'pie break at Halls Gap :)

image.

• Like Like x 23
    • Winner Winner x 18
  2. Oh wow that is so cool. Well done you and your mentor. How exciting. Makes me want to keep going.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Onya!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nice one! I'm in a very similar boat to you...got my L's 5 weeks ago, then didn't have a bike to ride until yesterday.

Got on it today for the first time (a mate rode it home for me yesterday). I live on a service road, so i just went up and down for about 15 minutes to get reacquainted with shifting up and down, braking and generally being on a bike.

Looking forward to getting into traffic and getting to a speed more than 40!!

• Like Like x 8
  5. So wish I was with you both. :cry:

Sounds like you had an awesome day! JozlynJozlyn great stuff :D and Fr33dmFr33dm....did you LOVE IT! :cat:

• Like Like x 4
  6. #6 Ned, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Well done Fr33dmFr33dm, nice photo and a great day for it too. I bet you're looking forward to your FIRST group ride then?:D Keep up the good work (y)

• Like Like x 5
  7. Can't find words to describe my experience, my English vocabulary is too limited! Sensational!! Thinking that I couldn't cycle less than a year ago....

We both had absolute ball, and I hope we can get together soon to ride through those beautiful Grampians, Pyrenees and Mt Macedon. We did miss you today girl!

Definitely keep going NorthsideChickNorthsideChick, it is hard starting out, but you do get better with each ride ;) and yes, having a mentor with you makes tremendous difference! I'm not sure if I would have done so well or had so much fun if I was on my own.

Congratulations on getting your L's and your bike botchbotch! You'll get there in no time :) Good luck!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Hi NedNed, thank you! As you know I have been looking forward to be able to join one of your rides since last December, well before I got my bike or my L's :) Lots of work for me to do before I'll be "fit to apply", but it's a start and I'm truly on my way!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fr33dmFr33dm that is awesome - well done you :D:woot:(y) Here's to many more firsts

JozlynJozlyn :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Exciting stuff, well done you guys.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It was my pleasure and an amazing day! I had a ball too and can't wait to do it again!

I have a spare room if you want to come too :D

I also had a "first" myself! My first time riding in the full dark, thankfully I know the road so well, as motorcycle headlights are not that flash!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Don't ever apologize for sharing all the excitement on reaching new 'firsts' in your bike journey. I love to hear the excitement of others and think back fondly of having gone through the same ramblings that you have!

Just remember to develop at a comfortable pace and every now and again say 'Hell yes' and try something totally new. It's when you push yourself (in a safe way) that the magic happens!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. On the plus side, I'm having a 'first' tomorrow! First solo trip, to Port Campbell via the GOR, and then back home on Tuesday. Can't wait!! :woot:

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Fantastic!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. What a marvellous day! The exhilaration of riding days like that stays with you, especially this one with so many first experiences! I'm envious of the locale you've got to go riding in - complete with coffee and pie shop! Good to hear you both had an enjoyable and safe day.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Top work Fr33dmFr33dm!

I've got a CB500XA, they're a fantastic starter bike, owned it about 3 weeks and have racked up nearly 2000 km's. Once you really get going, you're not gonna stop!
    Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous! Wow! Jealous!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Yay Fr33dmFr33dm great to see you out with your bike and great job on all your firsts ;) !!! Cant wait to ride with you ( sometime soon i hope )

• Like Like x 3
  19. Well done.

Although after four weeks riding, I did have a chuckle about filling with petrol being a first.

Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 3
  20. F**kin' brilliant, Fr33dmFr33dm! This is exactly what makes bike riding so much fun. All those firsts and all seconds, thirds, fourths and millionths... :)
    Keep up the good work, can't wait to come back up to the Grampians and go for a ride with you

• Like Like x 4