Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The dangers of stunting.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Johnny O, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Motorcycle riders trying to do stunts or tricks on their bikes has been around since the inception of the bike. I remember trying to do burn-outs & wheelies on my CB500/4 back in the 70's. The escalation of complexity of the stunts that riders are doing is making the game far more dangerous.

Many new riders have yet to feel their bones protruding through their skin, the hospital nurse scrubbing the gravel out of your flesh with a nail brush, seeing their pride & joy motorcycle somersault down the road destroying itself, and you still have 4 years left to pay the thing off!

The riders that have experienced the pain & heartache from riding errors and still do the stunts, have 'A' realized how quickly things can go bad and get out of control and 'B' how painful, physically & financially, the aftermath.

Some riders stunt to show off in front of other riders, some do it to show off to themselves and some do it improve their bike control. There is no denying, we all like to watch it :)

There are many riders that don't stunt, for varies reasons, I'm sure some of them would laugh & snigger, and say "he had that coming" when a stunter comes undone. Riders that know the risks and still 'play' accept the consequences. When I'm busted up in hospital, in big pain, I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me or be glad that it happened. When I see someone wipe themselves out, I think, "good stunt dude, I understand that it is a risk you take when you want to play with fire though".

I guess what I am getting at is, 'don't do the crime if you can't do the time', Please be aware of the pain that can ensue when things go bad. I hate seeing a young guy in big pain and say to me "I didn't realize this could happen".

Most stunting is practised in quiet areas away from other people and their property, I fully understand the buzz from stunting, I hope that eveyone practises somewhere sensible and is prepared should things go bad.
  2. Heya, good topic, but where has this come from? has something happened to someone to mention this ? Or has it just been on your mind lately? :? By the way, I love watching people stunt cause Im too sooky to do it myself. :)
  3. MR talk has just got me thinking. :)
  4. Anyway, now Im riding little red girl now and not the Gixxer, theres absolutely no expectations from anybody that theres gonna be some stuntin action :LOL: BUT she did get very muddy yesterday. Yay!
  5. Looping a bike at speed (and let's face it, not many of us start out doing 1st gear 12 o'clock wheelies at walking pace) seems to me to far more regularly result in injuries and a destroyed bike than does a simple low side. And yet most people I know that are into popping mono's everywhere are the type that aren't so keen to get to a track and push their bike that way. Denial?
  6. Interesting timing JO.

The Australian Stunt Riding Championships are on in QLD this weekend....
  7. yes I have. And yes it does hurt. And yes the scares are still there.

:cry: Yep, been there to, although at a differant time on a differant bike :oops:

:demon: :demon: YES.. YES we do
  8. Ha ha ha haaaaa (Evil laugh :twisted: ) :LOL:
  9. #10 slickncghia, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    so should i have been wearing a leather jacket when i was away practicing this today?

interesting topic. for me its all about taking it slowly and building up confidence and skill in as safe a way as possible (of course its never gonna be completley safe, would it be as exciting if it was?)

As far as stunting around other people. logically i'd try not to, but we humans are a stupid species and self controll is half the game. but i'd like to think wouldnt be trying out my no-handed highchair wheelies off the line in a large pack
  10. My riding, and subsequently stunting, experience started on the farm. I was equipped with a Suzuki TS185, a KDX200, and an XT500 to learn control, and how to play on a motorbike.
    I dare not mention how many times i threw those poor bikes down the trails, and dirt roads around our farm trying to impress myself, or anyone who was watching. The only real costs of those experience where small injuries, as there was nobody coming the other way.
    Then I entered the road riding experience.
    I have a well equipped machine that stoppies, and wheelies at will. And to date, touch wood, the only costs i have endured are fork seals from heavy landings, and chains/sprockets from snatchy take-offs.

the lesson here is, there is a time and a place to hone the skills required to gain ultimate control of a motorcycle, and until you have spent countless hours getting it wrong, and right, in the right environment, the outlook is not good for you financially or physically.
    Also, dont expect to be able to buy a fancy bike that does tricks, and expect it to help you do such tricks.

with great power, comes great responsibility

so dont be in a hurry to be cool, take your time and make wise decisions where you do it.
  11. there were a few bad crashes at XSC on the weekend. alan morrison went down hard on both days. cam ambridge also took a big fall on sunday. but my team mate jia, had the worst crash of the weekend against a barrier with the bike coming up behind him as well. it could've been much worse but for the gear that we all wear. if pros make mistake and wipe out, a beginner is even more likely to do so. the moral of the story is gear up appropriately for the riding you intend to do.
  12. oh yeah that's totally true for me hehe. i realised i was crap around corners so the only way to make up for it was to learn stunt riding. but its actually improved my cornering with better bike control and knowing the limits of lean and grip.
  13. Is Jia OK?
  14. Maybe I'm too hardline, but IMO if you have to stunt on your day-t-day commuter machine, you really can't afford to stunt. Especially if it has finance on it. There's an excellent chance you'll dump it at some point, a very good chance your insurance won't pay out, and even if it does your bike is likely to be off the road for a while. That's even if you manage to avoid hurting yourself. So, IMO, to learn to stunt you need to buy a bike specifically for it, and be able to afford to fix that one when it gets broken, and keep your day-to-day bike on the road. And yeah, joell's approach makes a lot of sense - get a trailie, gear up and learn to 'do it in the dirt' first.
  15. If only we lived in a perfect world. I always felt being addicted to bikes is like being addicted to drugs....... it is still anti social and can put relationships under pressure, it is an incedible financial drain and it can kill you.
  16. *My interenet is rooted*
  17. He he he -my theory is don't f#ck around on what you can't afford to walk away from with zero insurance :wink:
  18. J.O., Is this why no one does monos down Elizabeth St any more?
  19. Who doesn't?!!!!! :shock: :cool: :wink: