Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The countdown to 10,000...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dan, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Hornet you posting maestro...

Here's to your 10,000th post. Across Oz, Netrider camps will throw parties in your honour!

Well done son! :cool:
  2. Still dunno how you do it...

And i think I spend 10x more time on here than i should!

3. Im not realy sure either :grin: :grin:
  4. Yep, well done hornet, hope we can learn something from you !! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
  5. Hornet600 almost hits 10,000 posts!!!

12 posts to go buddy!!!! what happens when you hit 10,000?? has it ever been done before?

i have visions of your home suddenly bursting to life with baloons, dancing girls, champagne corks popping and confetti falling all around you. must be worthy of some celebration at least?!?! so what's it gonna be paul? :LOL: :grin: :wink:
  6. heh heh, you are a wag, carri

The numbers do tend to float around, and there's been some aggressive pruning of threads in this last week, and since I post in lots of them, I get effected the same as everyone else. It actually hit 10,000 momentarily on Wednesday night, then dropped again (bit like the stock-market :LOL:)

Contrary to some people's opinions, my posting here has always been about having fun, and helping other riders, never the numbers.. So no parties planned, just business as usual.

{Mind you, if someone wants to organise a dancing girl or two, that WOULD liven up a dull work day :LOL:}
  7. ...I could come down and deliver a gorilla-gram.... then there's always Chrissie (not Crusty) the Clown...

Cheers All....
  8. :LOL: :LOL: i'll join you. i'm in sydney this wkd so can drop in to do the fatogram for ya :LOL: :grin: (well, what can i say, winter kilos n'all that :wink: :) )
  9. so when he clocks 10 k will it bring the boards crashing down?

Its the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
  10. Paul,

Don't post any more, there's 07/06 bug on this site .. the software will crash and planes will fall from the sky when your counter ticks over to 10,000 ( or was that 2000?)
    :p :p :LOL: :LOL:

ZaZen :cool:
  11. Carri,
    If you're still in Sydney on Sunday why not come along to the Wollombi ride. Good chance to meet some of the Sydney Riders, and a good chance for us to meet you....(we could compare 'gram techniques...) ;-)

12. 10000 posts and you joined in March of 2005?? Thats approximately 484 days (365 days + 17 weeks). That equates to 20.66 posts a day! Do you have some sort of neural interface? Or it all could just be :spam: :p
  13. 9 to go! :eek:
  14. ....try 4 to go....
  15. nice thinking gypsy - would absolutely love to but afraid i'm there for family stuff and would be nothing short of hung, drawn and quartered if i took off for a ride :) given that i come to sydney reasonably regularly though, you've planted the seed now for future trips. will definitely make the effort some time. maybe ride up there on my trusty steed even :)

(meanwhile carri puts 2'n'2 together, has a lighbulb moment and comes up with the idea of the 'Tortur-o-gram' :shock: :wink: :p sorry, musta been hanging out with too many goths with Hellfire Club influences)
  16. Well if you're coming to Sydney, we ought at least to have a coffee somewhere, surely???
  17. Wouldn't it be a bugger if some of the mods started deleting posts to stop you from making it Hornet.

Lucky i am not a mod :grin:
  18. Has anyone else here read the Arthur C Clarke short story "The Nine Billion Names of God"? :roll:

I'm getting worried about what will happen when this post count hits 10,000 :LOL: :LOL:
  19. ARRRR Tony, thanks for that. I remember reading that story donkey's ages ago but never remembered its name. It ends with the people trekking out of Tibet, or somewhere, and the stars going out, one by one, doesn't it??

Only vaguley related, do you remember a story of a fruitless stocktake of a spaceship looking for 'ofog', which turned out to be 'something of dog' but the paper had been folded over?? I think it was an H Harry Harrison story....

S'okay now, folks, you can all wake up again :grin:
  20. That "ofog" sounds familiar Paul but I can't place it.

From the Wikipedia entry for Nine Billion Names of God

This very short story tells of a Buddhist monastery whose monks have long sought to discover the one true name of God. The monks create a writing system in which, they calculate, they can encode all possible names of God in no more than nine characters, with the same character not repeated more than three times consecutively.

They purchase a computer capable of printing all the possible permutations, and they hire two Westerners to install and program the machine. The computer operators are skeptical, but the monks believe that when the computer has printed all the names, existence will lose all meaning, and God will "wind up" the universe.

The operators engage the computer. After two months, as the job nears completion, they fear the reaction of the monks when existence will fail to end. The men decide to flee the monastery some hours before the computer finishes its task. After their successful escape, they pause on their way back to civilization at about the same time the computer prints the final name. And then, "overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out."