Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National The cost of import compliance

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by vmaxer, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Below is a copy of an email I sent to Anthony Albanese, Minister of Infrastructure & Transport, along with my local MP. You can find them all here : www.aph.gov.au/house/members

If as a consumer you also feel that the time for change is upon us please also send an email to your local MP and Mr Albanese. Personally I am convinced that we need to start making some noise about the high cost of buying a new machine in OZ and personal imports. Cheers from Vmaxer :soapbox:

"Dear sir,

We are a small nation of 21 million people, we do not manufacture nor have we ever manufactured motorcycles in Australia. The current legislation gives monopoly control to motorcycle importers, which in turn enables them to charge high prices for their products here in Australia.

As a consumer I find the current mtorcycle importing compliance legislation denies me the opportunity to greatly reduce the cost of buying a new motorcycle. It totally protects the importers from fair competition and prevents individuals and dealers from bringing in "parallel" imports, thus giving motorcycle consumers no choice but to pay prices controlled solely by the accepted industry manufacturers.

In effect you as minister for Infrastructure and Transport are directly responsible for the compliance legislation currently in place for the importation of motorcycles. Who is this legislation protecting, me as a discerning consumer or the high profit margin of the importers ? The enormous cost and often inability of obtaining the necessary compliance makes it virtually impossible for me to import a mtorcycle manufactured post 1988. If I were permitted to do so, I could save anywhere between 20% - 40% on the cost of buying my next bike.

In the USA, Europe, Asia, generally across the entire globe millions of people own motorcycles manufactured to standards which are on a par with Australian standards. Why do we need to have bureaucratic duplicity with further compliance inspections or certification here ? I ask you to deregulate the motorcycle industry and allow personal imports along with greater competition, in order to reduce the cost of riding on two wheels. Please give us a level playing field to make our own informed decisions about where we source our motocycle from.

Sincerely yours,"
  2. Did they reply,
  3. You might have posted up a draft before you sent it, so comments or suggestions could have been made.
  4. Good letter mate. Interested to see what the reply will be...
  5. I agree; I think you meant 'duplication' in the last para, rather than 'duplicity', which means deceitfulness....

I can predict the response, however; the Government's position is that motorcycling is a hobby more than a mass means of transport in this country, and as such we are indulging in discretionary purchasing, and can therefore afford to pay the current prices.
  6. Sure would be real nice to save money on a new motorcycle by going directly to the manufacturer... unfortunately current legislation prevents us from doing this. Hopefully, as motorcycles are rapidly growing as a method of transportation rather than a hobby, the current legislation will be reviewed. Don't hold your breath though, it took them long enough to get rid of the 250cc laws which had over-sized people on small bikes, people getting their P's and just waiting until they could ride the motorcycle of their choice, and people being killed or seriously injured on over-powered 2-stroke race replica machines which are all way beyond the capabilities of a learner rider.
  7. How does that differ from USA ?

2011 yamaha r1 new in USA = $US13590 = $AU 12650

so why do we pay nearly 20 grand ?

why is it we subsidise the lower prices in other 1st world nations who have a larger customer base by paying higher prices
    granted this statement is based on the sale price of the bike from Yamaha Japan to Yamaha Australia
  8. Somebody a long time a go figured out a way to make extra money and have less competition by convincing someone high up in the government that his new idea for legislation was sound. And all dealers have jumped on it ever since.
    Or maybe someone in the government made up stupid import legislation in the first place in an effort to boost the Australian economy.
  9. They have standards to meet in USA as well, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ( FMVSS) - there is very low import duty on the bikes themselves -- basically Its dealer greed I believe

shit fukkin greedy assholes - I am lowering the price of my helmets because the dollar is up, I have negotiated a better price with the factory as well as freight company - so let them keep the prices high - it will hopefully push people more my way with my business/distribution model
  10. My sentiments exactly Takamii, put up any bike sold in the USA and see the HUGE price differences, especially Harleys & Vmax1700.

@ Deadman I will keep knocking until I do get a reply.
    @ Wayned this is my personal letter, everyone else can compose their own.
    @ Hornet, no mate it's 100% bureaucratic deceitfulness !
  11. What's the new price Takamii? Also, unrelated question but i've been meaning to ask, did you used to be known as Moto Legion on here or something? I know that's your pants brand, but sometimes when people quote you in threads it's quoted as coming from motolegion but your name appears to be Takamii to me...confusing
  12. I don't get what the issue is - if you import a bike, you have all the same oncosts as the importer - or have I missed something?
  13. OK Rob here's how it works. I import a new product (motorcycle) made in Japan which I sell here to a dealer for say 7,000$, the dealer sells it to you for 10,000$ - MINUS the GST = 9100$. You see the same thing advertised in USA for 6000$, IF (it's a big IF) you were able to buy it and personally import this machine then add approx :.
    Shipping costs = 1000
    GST on value in OZ = 900
    Other costs = 500

Total costs to you for the same bike = 8400$

(this is only approximate, let's all focus on the bike costing 6G USA v 9G AUS and ask WHY ?)

Now the shipping cost could easily be halved (to 500$) by importing multiple bikes and the purchase price in USA can easily be reduced by buying in multiple quantities, they will negotiate. If you wanted second hand machines they can be found in the USA at 25% - 50% of the price of the same bike here and they are often in MINT condition. I was in USA 2008, travelling across the entire southern states, it's a bikers paradise with enormous competition keeping prices low.

Even when our dollar was worth 80c US, buying a bike from the USA would still have been a cheaper option for me. We are forced to pay a high premium in OZ to be on two wheels, due to importers having exclusive rights added to the collusion with our Department of Transport's bull@#$% compliance laws. Only the compliance issue prevents us all from having the consumers choice as to where we buy from. Trust me there are plenty of shrewd consumers, who would start importing bikes if the law allowed them to.

Hope this helps, cheers from Vmaxer.
  14. Collusion? Between importers & the ADR's?

You are implying that all the factory & non factory importers have agreed to work together & over inflate the price. And this is in all being done cahoots with the Federal instrumentality that manages the ADR's?

If you're right, your emails should go to fair trade, crime & corruption & AFP.

You seem to have an issue about the ADR's. Dont you think Australua is entitled to set it's requirements?

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
  15. ADR have a small part to play by means of cost it as I stated before the USA has its FMVSS - every country has a set of standards for vehicles either their own or they adopt the country of origin one ( eg when I was importing cars from Japn to Zambia they accepted the Japanese standards with small safety additions such as reflective tape on rear bumpers etc )

There is also for example a UN standard for vehicle lighting eg white to front red to rear indicators in amber that all countries that manufacture must adhere to
  17. Importing privately might be cheaper, but it does have its downsides.

Firstly, if it allows people to save a grand or more then obviously most people are going to do it - which means there's no point in the manufacturers trying to import them directly. This means no official spare parts network, no licenced dealers for servicing, and no warranty.

Yes, other people will fill this gap by supplying parts and servicing - but as has already been seen with grey import cars in this country this is also prime ground for scams involving shoddy parts, rebirthed vehicles and dodgy servicing.

You can see a similar thing with modern computers. Anyone who takes the time to build a system themselves from scratch can save a lot of money. However the vast majority of the population seem to much prefer simply buying something off-the-shelf for more, simply because of the convenience and/or after sales support.

Personally I think the biggest problem is the fact they scrapped the 15 year rule and replaced it with a pre-89 rule, effectively making it harder and harder to legally import a used vehicle into the country every year. If early 90's bikes could be imported it'd give people a very viable alternative to buying new.
  18. More the importer than the dealer. There is not that much in a new bike for the dealer. A lot of times they will make more on a trade in. And remember everyday that bike sits on the floor its compounding interest. And add wages rent insurance.
    They all point the bone at one another basically. But in the end I am sure it's each taking their little bit that they can, that adds up to X amount.
    That's why it's best to sit back and workout when they have their run out sales. I think Suzuki is August. I know Kawa is Oct. That's if you don't have to have the latest and greatest but still want a new bike.
  19. List of countries which allow GREY IMPORTS

NZ has been deregulated for around 20 years, SUZUKI, YAMAHA, KAWASAKI & HONDA are still there doing business. I owned 3 cars and 2 motorbikes imported second hand from Japan when I lived there, best value for money I have ever had.
  20. New Zealand is a model for how our grey import regulation should be, if not more deregulated.

Used cars there are so cheap, and of much higher quality for your dollar. The protectionist model we have here hurts the poor most of all.

If deregulation was applied to the whole auto industry, a ten year corolla would be at most half the price it is now. This is a very pertinent change to families, the poor etc.

I'm sure there's a majority in at least the liberal party, likely both parties, who would like to make this change, but the local car industry has too much political clout.