Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The community is not happy - (VIC)

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Sir Ride Alot, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Revheads trash Bob Jane T-marts store in Oakleigh By Anne Wright and Evonne Barry From: Herald Sun March 20, 2010 4:19AM

HUNDREDS of revheads trashed a Bob Jane T-marts store and brought the Princes Highway in Melbourne to a standstill. The police air wing was called in to monitor the crowds after flares were set off and people flooded into the street.

The commotion started after the EasterNats race meet at Calder Park Raceway was cancelled earlier this week, and the crowds last night decided to vent their anger on the sponsor's store, on the corner of Princes Highway and Warrigal Road.

As the angry fans trashed the store, breaking windows and stealing car parts from inside, witnesses and bystanders were forced to take shelter in their cars and nearby restaurants.

About eight windows were smashed, tyres and batteries were stolen and a ute was turned over by the furious hoons, who ransacked the store.

Franchise owner Neville Smith, who has operated the Oakleigh store for 16 years, estimates the damage to the store is more than $15,000.

The Dandenong Rd side of the store was severely damaged, as the out-of-control attackers terrorised nearby motorists and bystanders.

Murrumbeena resident Cheryl, who was driving her 16-year-old son Jake home from a basketball game, took shelter in the nearby KFC and said she was too scared to leave for an hour.

"It was like something from Beirut,'' she said.

Cheryl said the crowds got progressively violent and aggressive.

"They were letting off flares and driving hotted-up cars on the street,'' she said.

"It was absolute mayhem.''

"Within 10 minutes there were hundreds of high-powered cars. It was like an organised protest and we were trapped in it.''

A police spokeswoman said the riotous behaviour had started some point after 11 and police were clearing the scene.

EasterNats promoter Jon Davison said Bob Jane had cancelled the event "as a result of our inability to finalise a satisfactory contract''.

"There were a lot of people very annoyed about the event not proceeding, but I don't know who is behind this,'' he said.

"I am in no way supportive of any illegal activity. I am staggered this has happened.''

- with Julie Tullberg and Darren Tindale

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...tore-in-oakleigh/story-fn3dxity-1225843068788

2. You sure this isn't a report from post-earthquake haiti???

3. That maybe so, but they weren't speeding so it will be fine.

4. I'm sure a majority of the people there were behaving, but the minority have just made the situation so much worse.

Now they're not a bunch of disappointed enthusiasts, they are bunch of rioting, vandalising morons.

At least there is no mention of any kittens being injured.

5. F***ing bogans... They just wanted free mags to put on the front of their fully shick VL mate.

6. Just goes to show how important it is for hoons to have an outlet. If one isn't provided they'll just create one themselves. The government should pay attention.

7. I particularly like this description of the illegal behaviour
    "driving hotted-up cars on the street, within 10 minutes there were hundreds of high-powered cars"

8. just a bunch of rednecks living on the dole

9. Of course they know that the government will just use this incident as a premise to limit so called 'hoon' culture as well as all the events which are associated with it. Of course these bogan know that their actions were detrimental to their cause.

Oh wait, they don't; because they're idiots.

10. This is the same government that has caused the whole us vs them mentality by ostracising people labelling them hoons in the first place.
    These guys are not hoons they are criminal vandals.

11. I say these people have reached their limit and are frustrated. Wouldn't this be defined as normal human beahviour?

12. Nobody is disputing that they have valid reason to be angry. I'd also be angry if a community of any one of my interests is canceled. Then I'll also rally against the *something* and break sh*t.

13. I'd be absolutely livid if I was part of the crowd that just wanted to voice my opinion and all these arseholes started smashing shit. Effectively killed anything legit they wanted to say.

I think?

14. I'm getting pretty sick of the broad use of the "Hoon" tag. These guys were hooligans, not hoons, or as you say, criminal vandals.

Then you would be as big an idiot as the criminal vandals who did this. No, they don't have anything to be angry about. Disappointed perhaps, but not angry. It was just a racing event, not the end of the world, the removal of their civil rights, and Bob Jane hadn't killed any children. It wont even effect Bob Jane, since it was a franchise store! Get some perspective for goodness sake.

15. Ah I see, you were there. What did you steal or break?

16. That was the point I was going to make. Maybe those idiots should go back to school and learn the difference between a head company and a franchise.

In reality they probably don't really care that much about the event and were just using it as a conveinient excuse to smash shit up.

17. What is breaking shit going to achieve other than get you labeled as a dim witted criminal?

Really, I want to know what people think vandalism is going to achieve?

18. I see that my sarcasm didn't win any friends. So for the record, no I am not advocating petty vandalism as a valid outlet for someone's frustrations.

<quote>Then you would be as big an idiot as the criminal vandals who did this. No, they don't have anything to be angry about. Disappointed perhaps, but not angry. It was just a racing event, not the end of the world, the removal of their civil rights, and Bob Jane hadn't killed any children. It wont even effect Bob Jane, since it was a franchise store! Get some perspective for goodness sake.</quote>

My point amongst the wit was you can't reason with the unreasonable. You may judge and say, 'Oh they're just been silly what kind of reason is that to be angry.' But that's missing the point, they were angry (such the way human emotions works) so they rioted and broke things.

Now for whatever reasoning why these people did this I don't know. I think we can all agree that their actions didn't serve their cause, was extremely immature and caused thousands of dollars to an unwilling participant who has nothing to do with the actual event.

So I don't know why my comments, which were just observations written in a witty pose warranted such personal attacks. But hey, I guess you're entitled to your opinion. Just don't riot about it. :)

19. Italics help to convey sarcasm....

20. MrBling: Noted* Will do next time.