Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The choice is yours: Sweat or bleed

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by razorcat, Jul 10, 2013.

1. I don't want to start an ATGATT war but I thought this was a good article simply because of the wonderful goriness of the pics.

The Choice Is Yours: Sweat Or Bleed

July 9, 2013
    By Adeyemi Bennett

It was over 100 degrees out that day, so a friend who’d just started riding decided it would be a good idea to ride to work without his jacket. Long story short, it wasn’t. Especially when he t-boned a car at 35mph. Here’s grizzly proof that getting a little hot in full gear isn’t such a bad idea.
    We’d been in the middle of a heat wave here in LA, with the usual 72-and-sunny replaced with humidity and temps in the high 90s and low 100s. In conditions like that, riding around in a leather or textile jacket may seem like an insane thing to do. But to me, it’s the most sane. I’m not here to preach or sound like an elitist to new or inexperienced riders, I only want to share with you the consequences of some of these choices. Maybe they’ll even scare you into making smarter decisions.
    During this friend’s short commute to work — the one in which he thought it was smart to leave his newly-purchased Alpinestars jacket at home for — he was caught off guard for whatever reason and missed a woman making a right-hand turn into him. Travelling at about 35mph, he had no time to grab his brakes, T-boning the car and flying right through the woman’s passenger window. I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of that story…
    Had he been wearing his jacket, he would have just brushed himself off and waited for a friend to give him a ride home. Instead, he got a ride in an ambulance and a whole bunch of stitches.
    Now, I know what it’s like to kiss Tarmac. That’s why, even when it’s seriously hot out, you’ll find me in my Dainese G. Speed Naked Pelle jacket, Steel Core Carbon gloves, Axial Pro In Boots and AGV Grid helmet. Yeah, I get the occasional puzzled look and “Aren’t you hot in that?” I’m actually quite cool because I know if anything happens on my ride, I’m well prepared for it.
    Luck for me, that jacket is so thin, light and ventilated that I didn’t need to pick up a textile mesh item when summer finally hit us. I can sit at a traffic light and not totally overheat. Unlike my R1…
    Dress for the slide (or for flying through a car window), not the ride.
  2. great story for the learner group and established alike!! Summer not too far away , oh come on, you get a couple of cold days in beautiful sunny melbourne and people call it winter? Tis been dry!! Sydney is the wettest place on the east coast.. :)
  3. C'mon admit it, you really do.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. that's just a flesh wound
    • Like Like x 1
  5. An everyday occurrence for knights who say Ni!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gawd, am I that transparent?
  7. Good thread on piston heads about some riders being more nanny about other peoples gear than the nanny state.
    Lots of good pics of police forces around the world riding without gloves and jacket.

Also liked the point about nobody losing their nana about cyclists doing 80kph plus in lycra.

Gotta worry about mental state of anyone that sticks theirs nose into what other riders wear IMO.
  8. I want to know if he nodded as he went through the window, if you nod your injuries are greatly reduced. True story.
  9. ATTGAT and nodding Jeebus where's smee when you need him most ?
  10. And this is why I choose to ATGATT.......always!
  11. I call tautology.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Not uncommon injuries ... I've seen many a lacerated limb and seen the tears as the gravel is picked out. What you don't see in pics like those is the months of healing, the job loss due to being unable to work, the skin grafts, the odd amputation when the wounds get infected, the substance abuse that develops from needing pain relief / being depressed because of the injury ... none of that is obvious to most viewers who see the pics ... they just see the blood and cuts ... but I've seen what can happen >>> so wear ya fcuking gear!
  13. remember seeing a vid of a naked or near enuff atgatt not too long ago on here ish, reckon she may have taken his concentration away for a split second?
  14. Since we are picking stories to teach lessons I had a mate who came off at a slow speed in full gear, however his motorbike pants get caught on the peg. He got dragged underneath and snapped his leg in 6 places and his wrist in 2. If he'd been wearing shorts and thongs he probably would have walked away with a few scratches.

Hence never wear your gear it's bloody dangerous.
  15. The irony of your signature to your post is what is most funny. If you rode responsibly your need for gear would be reduced.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373422132.361333.

My attending student nurse was not interested in getting a coffee after removing the pins.
    Not that it was a spectacular crash, I was moving the bike around in the driveway and slipped over.
    I was even wearing my A*s gloves.
  17. "...he was caught off guard for whatever reason and missed a woman making a right-hand turn into him."

The root cause of the crash wasn't the lack of gear, it was the apparent lack of observation and anticipation.

Gear is passive defense, a fail safe when everything else goes wrong. Be sure to put it in its correct perspective. It does nothing to reduce the likelihood of an incident - it does however mitigate the extent of injury from an incident.

One of the best things you can do for your riding is work at the root cause level so that risks are reduced across the whole spectrum.

There's a term from NSW that is gaining credibility called ATGANFI. All the gear and no f'king idea. Don't let gear lull you into a false sense of confidence - which is called risk compensation - ride to the best of your abilities at all times.

The flipside to this story is that if it's a really hot day and you choose gear, make sure you manage the dehydration and cooling, otherwise you will get to a point where you will not be fit to ride.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. WTF happened with the font size??? lol
  19. First mistake right there.
  20. It probably increases risk of a crash.
    • Like Like x 1