Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The care and feeding of a Monster....

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Mkey, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Hello all,

I have fallen in love with the new Ducati 695 Monster, I have spent many many hours searching the web trying to learn all I can with regards to care, servicing and the like, But the only thing I do keep finding is people saying that they love Ducati's but the service costs are quite high.

Now I understand that the 695 is part of a new generation for Ducati with lower service costs and longer intervals between the major services.

I suppose what I'm trying to find out is, just how much more than a Japanese bike (Honda, Kawasaki, Etc) are they to maintain?
    Are we talking double or more, or more likely just $20 to $50 more per service?

I thankyou for your information.
  2. Besides the first service at 1000km, my understanding is that the service interval has been moved from 5 to 10,000km. The belts are supposed to be changed after 20,000km (and no longer every two years).
    The labour charge per hour is comparable, but there may be more time prescribed/required in servicing a Ducati.
    Calling Scumbag (Service manager at Moto One), over...
  3. I sat on the 695 the other day at the dealership its so my next bike :grin:
  4. 1000km service on my S2R1000 cost $300, for comparison. 2V motor like the 695, so I imagine it'll be similar.
    1k km service = tension belts and stuff.
    Overall, fuel economy (better) + insurance (30% better) + longer service intervals (but more costly per service) + uses tyres more kindly means it's cheaper to run than my previous bike (2003 GSXR750).
  5. gidday Mkey
    talk to bryan aka "scumbag" works at "moto one" ducati dealer
    knows lots and lots about this model and others as well
    i have already asked about the 695
    i too saw it at the show and want one
    hope this helps
    cheers dennis
  6. Thanks for the Info, It also does not help I am not very confident in the local dealer, I have been in there a few times and I just feel like a number, like they want to get you in and get you out as fast as they can, I was trying to get information on the 695 and the majority of the time I was there the guy (sales manager) spent most of time talking on the phone with other staff, and the place is a mess and very untidy and in desperate need of a clean up and refurb, makes me worry that if that is what the shop looks like and that's the perception there happy to show to customers, than what the hell is the service and workshop going to be like.......

As sad as it sounds I am leaning away from Ducati a little, simply because I have very little faith in the local dealer.
    And my nearest other dealer is 400k's away.
  7. Oops double post. The netrider server is really playing silly buggers today.
  8. From what I have heard the service intervals on the 07 model Dukes are 10 000 km apart. The requirement to do an annual service is no longer there.
    This means those people who do not do the amount of km that some of us do, you may be lucky to do anything other than a first service.
    They have also said the access is better making them faster to service as well, this also means less cost.
    Hope this helps
  9. Dodgy dealer issues aside. Rmember that most jap bike service intervals are 6000km the 695 is 10000km so whilst per service the duc may cost a bit more, it only needs to be serviced *about* half as often.

Also, once warranty period is over and you don't *have* to have it serviced by duc dealer anymore, it is a 2 valve twin with no fairing, so pretty simple to service yourself.

Remember that when I say "simple" I of course also mean that nothing is ever as easy as it should be or as simple as it seems and that you may take it apart and never get it back together. So, "less complex than it could potentially be" is probably a better phrase...

Go get one, you know you want to.

Remember the sound :grin:
  10. 10,000kms is a fair bit for a bike motor, I'd be (purely as a precaution) changing the oil every 12 months or 5000kms (which ever came first).

Oil is cheap :)
  11. *edit*

Double post due to timeout.
  12. Me too. If for no other reason than I get itchy if I don't get to play with spanners :)
  13. Oh dear.
    "Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread."
    Ever heard the word "desmodromic"?

(Ok, ok, it's not completely impossible :roll: )
  14. Then again the service intervals on all Ducatis are currently 10 000 km
    As they do not rev as high as the Japanese bikes there is not the same issues.
    Also BMW and now Aprilia and Moto Guzzi also say 10 000 for a service interval so Ducati are not the only one.
  15. Muahahahaha, O ye of little faith....

bah, you *may* have a point :grin: I edited after realising what I had said.

Same number of syllables, suspect for sure.