Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Brotherhood of Riders

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by gmjcox, Oct 29, 2006.

1. This is my first post on this forum but I wanted to share something that happened to me today that really gave life to the term 'brotherhood of riders'. (Yes, I realise the term brotherhood isn't inclusive of the many great female riders out there, but just read the post and you'll get the drift).

I recently separated from my wife of 11 years; the significant (and realistically only) upside of which has been the ability to spend a greatly increased amount of my free time on my bike (2006 Hyosung 650GT). Fellow riders who know of my situation have really come out of the woodwork to include me in any weekend rides or trips they have planned. Consequently, I had a good ride planned today with a friend which took a leisurely few hours around the local countryside.

I'd not long been home when another mate appeared in my driveway on his Buell, keen to do a quick tear around the Cotter (the quintessential Canberra run). The decision just wasn't that hard and 5 minutes later we were blasting our way off to many a Canberra rider's 'happy place'. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to check my fuel too closely and on the return trip found myself stranded on the side of the highway kicking myself for my stupidity. My mate had been a reasonable way ahead at this point (those Buell's do go) and we had effectively waved goodbye earlier as we weren't going back to the same place at the end of the ride.

Within 2 minutes of being stuck on the side of the road another rider stopped and asked if he could help. I told him that through my own stupidity I was out of fuel. Without a second thought he offered to go to the nearest servo (about 10 minutes ride away) and get me some fuel. This was a pain in the arse both time wise and because he couldn't carry a fuel can on his VFR (we both agreed it might damage the paint work). Undeterred, he arrived back 20 minutes later with a 1.5 litre water bottle full of fuel which he had bought and emptied to fill with fuel (much to the displeasure of the servo dude). While I was waiting at least 3 other riders passed and slowed down to check with a thumbs up whether I was OK.
    Ben ( the rider who helped me) wouldn't take any money but was just happy to help because I was a fellow rider. Before he rode off, I gave him a card with my contact details and a genuine offer to return the favour if he ever needed it. He took the card but just said, "Really, its no problem; it's just what you do for another rider. Remember, it's a brotherhood of riders."

It was a great day on the bike. Thanks again Ben.
  2. love the story, and reminds me of what i DID like about the canberra boys :)
  3. Great story mate. I had my throttle cable break on the princes hwy near waterfall in sydney on the ozzy motogp weekend. It took ages to get a tow because most people in the industry were in victoria.
    In the two hours that i waited for the tow, i had countless fellow riders slow down to see if i needed help and was great to know that we've got brothers out willing to help out strangers who share the same passion. Ive only been riding for 7 months but im in it life now!
  4. I liked that story, thanks for sharing it!
  5. Ohh now I got the warm & fuzzies!

In my years I've been both a giver & receiver & get as much pleasure from helping out as I do when others slow down or pull up to see if I'm Ok!

I hope this brother/sisterhood continues to gather momentum!

p.s who would ever question the gender of a helping hand?
  6. Great story, It's true you meet the nicest people on motorbikes. Welcome to the friendly forum!
  7. This is 1 of the reasons Y I love riding.....
    Most people on bikes, always stop to see if Its all good to a fellow rider on the side of the road!
  8. Damn straight! If you see a rider in peril, you check if their ok. No exceptions.

I've saved a couple of riders stranded due to various reasons...
    -Broken throttle cable i managed to rig up with the return cable to get her to safety (GeordieLass on these forums).
    -Out of juice, popped my tank and gave em half a litre.
    -Flat tyre; i carry a small bike pump everywhere these days.

The number of times my on-bike toolkit has saved me and others really pays off! Everyone should carry a basic toolkit, 50cm of tubing, tape, rag and a mobile phone. Next investment will definitely be a first aid kit and some first aid training for myself.

Now see how many people stop to offer assistance if you were in a car! Unless your 5'11" & blonde with a mini-skirt i'd say probably zero.
  9. No-one else gives a shit about us., so if we can't rely on other riders to stop where would we be? :shock: :LOL:

I alsways stop if someone looks in need of help and others always do it for me. Even if they don't need the help, they always appreciate the gesture so it's helped make their day. :grin:

Last time I stopped for bikes on the side of the road, it was a group of 50% Netriders. :LOL:

How is the bike NinjaBH (or whatever name Casper uses these days RGVpuffdaddy or something :LOL: )?
  10. Oh yeah... it's a fantastic community. When I had my bingle I opened my eyes to a collection of bikes pulled over. They weren't just staring like the cagers, but approaching the ambulance and police, making phone calls for me, taking care of me... basically sorted everything out for me! I asked one if I knew him, coz he was acting like a long time friend, and he said,
    "No, I ride too."
    It seems that's all we need to have the friendship/respect. Well, except for the odd loser, but that's life ;)

I stopped for a guy broken down in a right turning lane the other day, cars tooting... Ended up me, on a baby blade, blocking the traffic for him, on some big thing I didn't recognise, while he rolled it around the corner to safety. Kind of funny :grin:
  11. i attended a biker funeral in Canberra not so long ago.
    sad day, but still gives me goosebumps at the amount of respect that is shown there.

its more than just transport....
  12. that is an excellent story.
    it does kinda make ya feel warm and fuzzy doesn't it? :grin:
  13. good to know there are good people out there..
    wish i had been as luky the other day a borrowed bike ran out of fuel on the westgate bridge, and not even the cops turned up. had to wheel the bike over the bridge and down to the tod rd servo... the bike inperticular had also lost it's number plate earlier that morning as well.
  14. Thanks for sharing the story - good karma
  15. Hehe, I was driving with FluffyDonkey in the passenger seat of the Hilux east-bound on Old Windsor Rd when we saw a guy on a CBR250 Tri-colour pulled over on the side of the road.

We slowed down in the right-hand lane, indicated and then drove across the grass, some scrub and a small ditch to cross to the other side of the road and come back to check on him.

That one's probably in my top 3 illegal U-turns... gosh, memories :grin:

The guy looked a little scared as the obviously crazy person in a 4WD pulled out into traffic and came over only to stop just behind his bike with the hazards on.

We hop out, intriduce ourselves and check to see if he's ok. Jus tout of fuel and a friend of his was already on the way with a jerry-can.
    So we kept him company for a bit and told him what we ride.
    He said he was surprised that we stopped and thanked us like 3 times even though we didn't have to do anything for him.

We told him, "No worries, dude. We've all got to look out for each other."

And then we got cheeseburgers.

Looks everyone kicked a goal.