Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Brotherhood of Riders

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by gmjcox, Oct 29, 2006.

1. This is my first post on this forum but I wanted to share something that happened to me today that really gave life to the term 'brotherhood of riders'. (Yes, I realise the term brotherhood isn't inclusive of the many great female riders out there, but just read the post and you'll get the drift).

I recently separated from my wife of 11 years; the significant (and realistically only) upside of which has been the ability to spend a greatly increased amount of my free time on my bike (2006 Hyosung 650GT). Fellow riders who know of my situation have really come out of the woodwork to include me in any weekend rides or trips they have planned. Consequently, I had a good ride planned today with a friend which took a leisurely few hours around the local countryside.

I'd not long been home when another mate appeared in my driveway on his Buell, keen to do a quick tear around the Cotter (the quintessential Canberra run). The decision just wasn't that hard and 5 minutes later we were blasting our way off to many a Canberra rider's 'happy place'. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to check my fuel too closely and on the return trip found myself stranded on the side of the highway kicking myself for my stupidity. My mate had been a reasonable way ahead at this point (those Buell's do go) and we had effectively waved goodbye earlier as we weren't going back to the same place at the end of the ride.

Within 2 minutes of being stuck on the side of the road another rider stopped and asked if he could help. I told him that through my own stupidity I was out of fuel. Without a second thought he offered to go to the nearest servo (about 10 minutes ride away) and get me some fuel. This was a pain in the arse both time wise and because he couldn't carry a fuel can on his VFR (we both agreed it might damage the paint work). Undeterred, he arrived back 20 minutes later with a 1.5 litre water bottle full of fuel which he had bought and emptied to fill with fuel (much to the displeasure of the servo dude). While I was waiting at least 3 other riders passed and slowed down to check with a thumbs up whether I was OK.
    Ben ( the rider who helped me) wouldn't take any money but was just happy to help because I was a fellow rider. Before he rode off, I gave him a card with my contact details and a genuine offer to return the favour if he ever needed it. He took the card but just said, "Really, its no problem; it's just what you do for another rider. Remember, it's a brotherhood of riders."

It was a great day on the bike. Thanks again Ben.