Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The bricycle - a demonstration of 2-wheel physics

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by gundy, Mar 29, 2014.

1. A friend posted this to facebook, and I immediately thought about @robsalvv@robsalvv when I saw it..

These boffins have managed to create a bike for which the effect of gravity can be balanced out by a spring, and it appears as if it's unrideable - it can't be both balanced and steered at the same time.

Some of the discussion about 2-wheel physics may appeal to some of the other nerds here too :).

2. Hi Gundy - been a while.......

Bricycle eh? This reminds me of a snake-board.

I think they would have drastically different results if they used a strut or push rod rather than a spring in their mechanical model....

It is what it is.

3. Hey.. it has been a while.. I've still been lurking occasionally, but I'm getting pwned by other commitments lately :(

As far as the model goes, I think they need something to provide a counter-force to gravity - not just damping of motion - and the spring seems to work okay for that. It also provides sufficient adjustability for different weights of riders etc.

I'm not really sure what you mean by using a strut or push-rod, but keen to learn more..

4. Interesting. Harley should offer it as a bolt - on kit to improve their handling and cornering ability...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Fascinating

6. Fascinating! Thanks for that. I'm going to have a bit of an explore. :)

7. I think I've had a nightmare that I was riding that a moto like that into lemming corner.