Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Biting

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Sir Skuffy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. The biting.

Sunday morning with wonderful weather and the usual roads ridden. A little moisture here and there and near new tyres.... A formula for disaster- maybe.
    Deans marsh to Lorne was sedate, tyres scrubbed in and warm. In a great mood, very happy and appreciating the wonderful weather. So, I wonder to myself - what do I need to do to get the most out of these tyres? I think back to my enduro days and the relearning process - the re-education of one-selfs habbits/styles..... To become better and faster you need to change the way you ride to get to that next level.

So, leaving Lorne and heading down the GOR with warm tyres - I go through my changes. Attack, aggression, calculating...... The bike is large, wide and heavy and is all about weight transfer. So, let’s transfer weight. Enter the corner on the edge of the seat - breaking heavily - pitch into the corner - drop the weight all the way to the inside of the corner - THE BITE - driving out if the corner, leaned further and actually feeling the tyres bite the pavement - feeling the rubber so gently peeling off of the carcass - the punch - the launch - perfect.

This was my Sunday ride as I explored new ways or doing what we all want to do. Ride faster - ride safer - learn - and most importantly......

Have fun.

2. To become faster you need to scare the shit out of yourself over and over until it's not scary anymore... then start the process again.

I'm sure I have very poor technique, but this has been working for me so far. :wink:
  3. Nice stuff Skuffy.

I had my first 'oh crap I'm going to die' moment going round a corner on the Black Spur. Luckily I was going really slow (still on my Ls) so I just stood the bike up and put on the breaks. The mate I was with said I should have just lent the bike over further, but at the time it really didn't seem like a good idea... :)

A few days back I was turning a corner on the way home from work and I got the same sensation except this time I just kept at it and came out with a big grin on my face.

Planning on doing the cornering school down at Phillip Island later in the year. It's hella expensive but I figure the implications of learning by trial and error make it worth it...