Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

the best method to downshift when going for a stop

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by vupham, Nov 10, 2010.

1. What's the best method? Break and keep tapping down or break and tap down and let go the clutch each gear? I was told by my instructor to release the clutch untill u feel the friction each gear? I found the holding the cutch and keep tapping down till gear 1 much easier for me but is it bad for the bike?

2. Do what the instructor said.

3. i vote learn to ride before you go throwing in compression lockup into the mix

4. It depends on how fast you need to stop. I usually come to a stop in 2nd then select 1st if its a quick stop otherwise I'm happy to sit in netural (do I hear a can of worms opening?) There is no reason why you cant drop back a couple of gears without releasing the clutch as long as you're matching the revs.

5. No, because its been debated to death before, everyone knows its dangerous to be stationary in neutral, no need for an argument on this one..

6. Change down releasing the clutch each time, as your instructor advised.
    Do it the way you are doing it;all the gears but only releasing the clutch once), and you will eventually crash, by compression lock up.

7. I only skip gears if im coming to a complete stop, might engine brake in 3rd or 4th and get lazy, then click them down at the last moment.
    Any time i use engine braking, i work my way down through the gears.

raven - go to bed. im the one stuck on nightshift over here (and bludging) :p.

8. They do?? Is this danger true in all circumstances? Do all heavy clutched bike riders have to develop a popeye left forearm because it's now dangerous??

Your view is NOT universally supported.

9. Agreed, I have no problems sitting in neutral under certain circumstances. I.e first at the lights, car has pulled up behind you, you've then edged forward and buffered a bit more. What immediate danger am I now waiting for with the clutch in ready to go?

On the flip side I would never ever ever go to neutral at the lights before the traffic behind me has stopped.

As for down shifting, I'm a bit of a mess. EBrake style I was taught pull the clutch and gear down just before you stop, so I practice that from time to time. If I'm cruising i'll blip my way down right through to first, and if I'm feeling lazy or I'm slowing not stopping, I'll sometimes go with the clutchless shift.

Point is, don't let the proper way become the only way, do what suits the situation, but as others have mentioned above, compression lock up is a further fairly easy trick to pull off on a bike, especially when shifting multiple gears at a time. Probably best to save that one for when you're completely stopping, or close to it, and stopping relatively quickly at that.

10. Thank you Rob. You're still a man of great wisdom =D>

Dont you just love 5 minute experts ;)

11. Err.. Maybe i didn't explain myself too well.

This thread is about coming to a stop. And you shouldn't end up in neutral when coming to a stop.

What you want to do after cars have pulled up behind you, 5 minutes later, or sunday week, doesn't really matter that much.

12. Ok, now you're talking. No need to be ready to go if you're somewhat protected. Go neutral and relax.
    In emergency stops, pulling in the clutch to keep the engine alive is a fair default action, but personally I don't declutch until the last second, so that I have engine braking assisting me. Sometimes the engine will stall out if I've been to aggressive on the rear, othertimes it works. But even a stalled engine is braking assistance. The only thing to be wary of, is falling over when you do stop because the bike is in gear and the engine is stalled if you left the clutchwork too late. (gotta be ready for that).
    But even then just clutching in, fixes that problem.

In reality, I am rarely looking to come to dead stop. Typically I aim to slow down quickly while looking for an escape route, and take THAT option.

But in a regular stop I am always going down the gears, so that I am always in an appropriate gear for the speed, in case I need in.
    At slow stops approaching red lights where I am relatively secure, I'll be lazy and just downchange a few gears then stay in 3rd as I stop and go to neutral then.
    I don't believe there is any value in downchanging to first gear. I do that if needed once I am stopped.

Horses for courses - but unless you have a slipper clutch, pulling the clutch in and down changing all the way to first without letting the clutch out is a potentially dangerous practice, to be avoided

Just my 2 cents worth.

13. I identify with this (although the clutch isn't that heavy)...

The basic rules I use... If there is no one behind me - in gear and ready no matter what. If I am in stopped traffic and in a stable situation, then might pop into neutral to save my forearm... The default is to be in gear always - but do a quick assessment when at lights to see if it is safe to do so (i.e. other drivers around know I'm there, good buffer space, everyone is stopped, lights aren't about to go green). Either way - I just try to be consistent to some internal rules about when I do it.

14. Why bother using the clutch at all?

15. Going down multiple gears at once without clutching in/out for each gear isn't necessarily bad for the bike...

... but going down multiple gears could be bad for the rider, particularly if they're inexperienced and haven't mastered rev-matching/blipping. If not done perfectly, the rider's at great risk of compression lockup, potentially resulting in a crash (lowside or maybe a highside!).

Which would be bad for the bike, actually.

16. Why did our instructor not mention this at ALL?!!

17. Your instructor's brother owns a panelbeater shop? ;)

18. Ours mentioned it, but it was more for those who had become comfortable with the bikes. For those that were still having problems - they basically said it wasn't essential to begin with.

19. i almost find the 'blipping' easier without a clutch, the gear just slips into place at the right level. That's only on a 250, got bit of a shock when I did it on a daytona with a quickshifter, it wanted to take off.

you don't say...

Mine said always do it without exception.

20. Well you did take the bait then proceeded to make a broad generalist statement on the assumption that there is only one correct method that everyone must follow at all times. :popcorn: