Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The best Counter Meals in and Around Melbourne?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by QuarterWit, Sep 9, 2008.

1. I could live off counter meals, and the heavy glutinous feeling you get after scoffing one down.

So where are the best places in and around Melbourne to get a good Chicken Parma, Bangers and Mash and a schooner at a good price? The limerick Castle in North Melbourne does some awesome fries (More like deep fried potatoes) and there's a pub in Yea that has a killer parma.

Any suggestions?
  2. the missus and i went to the pub in at melbourne central one night was a great parma and chips with veg or salad neither of us could finish
  3. dont know if its technically a counter meal but its at a pub.

the bogan burger at the napier hotel in...fitzroy. and its alot bigger than it looks in that photo.
    garlic bread style bun, chicken shnitzel,steak,cheese,potato cake,bacon,pinaple,egg,beetroot,tomato.... plus a plate full of potato weadges and salad

good feed. wont kill you straight away
  4. Most things from the Napier are good... and big.
  5. Triple Bypass breakfast from Greasy Joe's in St Kilda. It's bigger.
  6. for lunch around south western corner of the CBD, i.e. cnr flinders lane and william street is cafe 22.

For $15 i think you dont get a "parma", you get 4.7 chickens stomped into one mamoth truck tire sized parma on a plate of chips with salad. Fairly good selection of biers too for a quite cafe that looks fairly basic inside. Don't let the look fool you, me and the work mates have spent many a spontanous nights there completely unplanned.
  7. Charles Dickens Tavern 290 Collins St, City, is my favourite haunt for Bangers and Mash.

I think there is a problem Houston, picking up my post as being full of swear words. :LOL:
  8. I used to eat at The Emerald in South Melbourne all the time (long time ago....prob 7 years ago :shock: ). Great Parmas and Bangers and Mash...
  9. Awesome - that's my lunch today hopefully!
  10. Mrs Parmas is great. Fantastic microbrewed beers. Parmas are great also but a little pricey

Search for the Super Parma - its a bible

I find it hard to get a good counter meal now adays.
  11. Pellegrini's on Bourke Street.

You get a week's worth of pasta and a granita to wash it down for pocket change from an old Melburnian institution.
  12. +1, Their Lasagne is the best in Melbourne, food comes out super quick as well.
  13. The Anglers Tavern
    2 Raleigh Road
    Maribyrnong, VIC 3032, right on the river.
    Never had a bad meal there.

Same goes for the Kallkallo pub on the Hume hwy.

If planning a social get together, we often choose the Roxy pub, cnr Somerton rd and Pascoe Vale rd Roxburgh park, they have a fantastc smorgasboard, prawns and crayfish all round.