Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The Bermuda Tragedy

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jacksbowel, Jun 21, 2010.

1. #1 jacksbowel, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    So nostalgia for my childhood reared its ugly red head tonight, and I couldn't help but think back to my most cherished childhood memory.

The Bermuda Triangle ride at Seaworld.

From the ominous green light as you enter the volcano, to the smell of machined-produced fog at the end.. well, that's all I experienced the first few times because I had my eyes clenched in terror (I was only 6, c'mon guys..). Anyway, I digress.
    But essentially, for a theme park ride made on a relatively little budget it was quite an amazing experience, full of dissapearing UFOs and flaming pyrotechnics.

I decided to relive these memories the only way my lazy-ass is prepared to. I looked up an onboard video on youtube.

But something didn't seem right.. even accounting for it being an experience poorly lent to being watched through a screen it really didn't look impressive at all. Just a bunch of rickety robots with plastic brain heads waving their arms. Ah, the imagination of youth, I thought.

Oh well, wait for the explosive end sequence.

GONE was the fog. GONE was the hair-burning fireball. In place of it was an ugly noodle of neon glowstick stuck to the wall that looks like it was stolen from a tattoo parlor window.

Horrified, I turned to the only place I knew I could rely on. Internet forums. :B

(Yes, there is a very active Australian forum dedicated to theme parks.)

Annyyyywayyy, have a look at what interesting facts I discovered:

"it was a shame to see that they dont bother with the pre-show anymore (on that note they have replaced the tv with a projector), which leads to the fact that most of the speakers in the boats dont work anymore,"

"...the screen that the rock cracks wasnt working, neither was the one in the room with the falling pillars (showing a glaringly obvious "No Signal")"

"the lights in the main room with the rockets were on so you could see wires and stuff everywhere!!!"

"the water effects (when you go backwards) dont work"

In relation to the vanishing UFO "the glass which makes the effect work has been removed since the frame which supports old is so old. As far as I'm aware there aren't any plans to replace it."

This very important ride is an Australian icon and should be treated with care and regular maintenance, I see this as being akin to letting tourists use Ayer's rock as a skipping stone and/or not letting Shane Warne's mum buy him phone credit.

Thankyou for your time.
  2. Yep, took younger kids up there last year, hadn't been there for 10 years and too noticed the down grade..... shame really.

I suppose the Giant Drop at Dreamworld made up for it, my gut is still hovering up there somewhere..
  3. That's a bloody outrage!!!