Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

the basic tools i need to maintain a bike??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by alwayseric, Jan 4, 2012.

1. I finally move into a unit with a proper garage and now am planning to pick up some mechanic skill to do the basic service to my bike.

I wonder what kind of tools/equipment i need? Where are the best places to buy/get them?

Repco is currently on special, i may get from them. or other (online) retailers for better prices?

please give me some ideas. thanks in advance.
  2. depends on what you want tp do, do you have a jack/lift/track stand for the bike?
    what sort of service do you intend on doing? just oil changes and filter?
  3. Basic ones i need are a good hex set, decent screwdrivers, ratchett socket and ring spanner. Look at your bike for sizes - I need a 28mm to adjust the wheel.

Buy a torque wrench if you can, and that should get you started - buy the rest of the stuff as you go.

Price is there abouts all the same for the basic stuff, so buy where convenient.

I prefer silver.
  4. start from simple, such as oil changes, filter, lubricate the chain, etc.

i dont have anything and i also dont want to spend a few hundred on something i wont need for a while (based on my current mechanic skill level)
  5. all noted. thanks a lot.
  6. Oil changes are made easier with a paddock stand or if your bike has one a centre stand!! You bike tool kit should have the spanner that fits your 'sump plug' to drain the oil out.. Do not over tighten when you put the plug back in, with the oil filter, depends on your current and future filters buys, some have a 'nut' on the outside which helps to remove the filter, if not a 'strap' tool will alow you to remove the filter, buy an oil drain bucket from super cheap, these are flat looking container, squarish in shape and at one end a 'funnel' type of setup [to pour the old oil out]. chain lube, just buy a can, to adjust the chain, again your basic kit should have the required spanner you need to loosen your wheel nut..and shold also have the spanner to tighten/loosen the chain adjuster.. spark plug spanner is a given in your tool set, now this is assuming you have the original tool set that came with your bike!!
  7. If you don't have a centrestand get a rear stand (aka paddock stand aka race stand)

I just bought a rear stand from Kaneg. Well priced, quick delivery.
  8. Well a cheap set of spanners will do, unless you use them all the time youll most likely lose them before you break them(speaking from experience). Hex drivers are handy for fairings and a descent set of screw drivers as the tips can wear out. Dont forget an oil filter tool if you plan on changing that.

Paddock stands are a luxury, while very handy, are not the first thing that would be on my list. Just take it easy around paintwork and fairings.

Places to buy them, just a general car auto shop (Ie. Supercheap, autopro, repco etc). Auto kits sometimes have different sizes to general kits and are easier to work on cars/bikes.
  9. Pick a job to do first, ie oil change. Go buy the spanner you need, and a filter wrench. There is the start of your collection of tools.

IF you go out and by a shit load of tools, 99% wont get used and chances when you do a job you will end up going out and buying a new tool anyway.

IF you have the cash, go buy some tools from supercheap. The supercheap calibre tools are just as good as the big brands now, if they are to much just buy the SCA branded ones. I would order like so:
    1) Screwdriver set.
    2) Spanner set
    3) Socket set (with ratcher, breaker bar and an extenstion or 2)

I have more tools than you can poke a stick at from my days as a tradie, and everytime I do a job on the bike,car,boat, house there is always a tool I need that I dont have!!
  10. Only one needed ;)

11. :LOL: But shouldnt the initials instead of C J be H? :bolt:
  12. proper socket set 1/2" drive, 6 point is best, hex bits 1/2" drive or even 3/8" with an adaptor, a ratcheting 1/2" wrench, filter wrench, 4-5 screwdrivers (2 phillips, 3 flat different sizes obviously), oil pan, funnel and that's about it for oil changes regardless of an external or catridge style filter & spark plug socket, paying someone to change plugs is dumb... also purchase a small quantity of copper grease

- you may want to save up for a torque wrench later

you can get decent quality sets from places like UK ebay... local pricing even from sueprcrap is a rip off.. if you can source all u need from a single vendor the all up pricing is pretty good and the quality right up there... obviously u can get oil pans and funnels pretty cheaply here, places like Kmart auto tend to be real cheap for that kinda thing.... autobarn is a bit of a rip off.

i reckon u can get all u need as listed above for under 90quid, which is only around $140AUD right now... the reason why i specified 1/2" drive 6 point metric socket set and hex bit set is because they will fit a torque wrench later on, and a 6 point socket will not round a bolt head or nut no matter what as they are "wall-drive" not corner drive... they will also fit battery and air powered impacts if you really get into it down the track....

don't kid yourself - nasty cheap tools are often not the correct size, causing rounding of soft alloy hex bolt heads, and themselves can be soft and deform leading to being more likely to round parts...

13. Something like this mate, a great base to build from. Also if your bike has a workshop manual available buy it, great source of info.
  14. There's a rather good thread on PSB Here

I personally think the most important things to have when you're starting out are.
    1. Somewhere you can definately leave your partially assembled vehicle.
    2. Alternative transport.

Those two things will take a lot of pressure off you. Of course the train ride out to the wreckers at silverwater to get a new voltage regulator is part of everyone's learning curve, and everyone should swap a starter motor in a carpark at least once in their lives. (or a driveshaft, gearbox, fuel tank etc)

Next I would reccomend a good worklight, a whole lot of ziplock bags, and possibly a camera or notepad if you're that organised. It's like an autopsy. Bag tag and photograph.

It's probably not a bad idea to put something like something under the bike to catch mess. I park my bike on flattened out pizza boxes when I change the oil. A big bag of homebrand kitty litter makes a cheap spill kit, keep some in the garage.

Yeah and obviously the correct tool for whatever you're taking apart. Others have discussed this above. There are good cheap brands around so you shouldn't have to ever use anything too nasty. Always the correct sized spanner, never take a shifter, pliers or multigrips to your car or bike just because you're missing a particular size socket. This may mean running out to Kmart just before close to buy a $10 socket set because you've lost the size you need.

The main thing you really need is the confidence to bite off way more than you can chew, and the patience to keep working on a stubborn bolt at 3am when you're exhausted, filthy and have to work in the morning.
  15. yes, agree.

i didnt do anything before because i didnt have a secured space for the parts. but now i've finally got a double locked up garage. i also have a car. actually i usually take the bus to work in the city.
  16. thanks guys. now i can start off.