Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The artist formerly known as Cat Stevens

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Roaster, Nov 18, 2009.

1. #1 Roaster, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    'We're bored': Yusuf Islam booed and heckled on comeback

Poor old Yusuf. I think the fans who walked out were pretty rude. It reminded me a lot of the "[URL="]streets of london[/URL]" sketch from big train.

And as a tangential treat pertaining to [URL="]big train and artists formerly known as[/URL]...
  2. Like Bono; Mr Islam - you can't sell tickets to a music show, then stop the music to try and tell a crowd of standing people holding over-priced drinks about whatever cute little item of bullshit you think is interesting.

What did he expect?
  3. yeah good point
  4. Understandable from the crowd's point of view if they weren't told about it. Then again, if the newer songs were sung not at the expense of the old classics, and they were all played, then the crowd has a bit to answer for. Either way, I would have loved to be there.
  5. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who describes the Fatwa on Salman Rushdie for his rather dull book as "a beautiful thing" (IIRC) is a ******** who deserves everything he gets.

Mind you, on that basis, I probably wouldn't have paid to see him in the first place.
  6. Now, now, you're just saying that because his religion and his personal endorsement of a human's judgement against another human for a matter that is the responsibility of "God" make him a spiritually backwards muppet who subscribes to the repression of thought and progress, the oppression of women, and the suppression of accountability for doctrine.

That's all.
  7. I don't think it was dull. I quite enjoyed his wit and humour. Of course it wasn't the best piece of writing ever but it was in my opinion an entertaining work of fiction. His use of metaphors is entertaining to say the least!
  8. Well, maybe I need to revisit it. I'm a very different person from what I was 20 years ago, so who knows?
  9. Unfortunately artists and sportsmen who convert to Isalm universally turn into boring shadows of their former selves, and the old Cat is certainly in that category. I can't help wondering why people shelled out good money to go to the 'concert' in the first place.
  10. Yeah, Muhammad Ali certainly was a boring shadow of himself once he turned to Islam.

And Dylan in his Christianity days turned out so much great music. :puke
  11. At least Dylan wasn't an anti-semite racist....
  12. Well it would be a little unusual for a Jew like Dylan to be an anti-semite :p

Cat Stevens can do whatever he wants on stage, and people can boo him if they think it's crap - dunno what the big deal is...
  13. err, yes, you're right, of course, Mr Robert Zimmerman is harldy like likely to bite the hand that makes his bagels :LOL:.

Cat Stevens, for the record, was a prodigious artist whose song-writing and performing career started out a dizzying heights, and who progressively went to the cupboard and found it barer and barer, until by his sixth album was producing banal junk of 7 short tracks, none of which were worth listening to, compared to Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and th Firecat....