Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The approximate cost to fix ...

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by tunelliner, May 28, 2008.

1. Hey guys..
    I don't exactly want to start off by introducing this thread as a "rider down thread" because of great fear from the mods to remove it :LOL: .. but today my bike decided that it wanted to make deep torturous love to the black asphalt today.

I was coming around a round-about (Sir Fred Schonell Drive for those that are in QLD and go to the University of Queensland) between 20-40kmh at a decent lean when the front slipped and threw the bike (and me) onto the ground. Luckily it was a slow lowslide and a two students walking to Uni asked if I was alright and helped me pick my bike up from where it laid. If you ever by chance come across NR and read this, am forever grateful for your help.

To cut a long story short, i came off with little scratches on my knees. My bike also has a few scratches on the clutch casing, tank (little dented), barend, bent rear brake lever and exhaust.

I'm also trying to piece together what really happened this morning. Did I come in too hot? Did i lean a tad too far? or did steer a little too far into the turn reducing the contact patch of the front tire.

I'd also like to know how much "approximately" would it cost to fix the tank. Pcitures are below :)

2. It varies a lot from bike-to-bike, and from wrecker-to-wrecker, but here are some guesstimates:

A rear brake lever will usually come as an assembly, and might be around $100. A bar will be $30-50. If you want another tank, it will probably be >$300 plus the cost of having it sprayed. Engine casings tend to run to about $200 or so. You will also need a new gasket, and it is messy/fiddly to replace an engine cover without draining the oil first, so include fresh oil.

If I were you, I would replace the rear brake lever, maybe apply some sort of treatment to the tank to prevent rusting, and leave the rest.