Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The 70% rule. Worth a quick watch

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by MT09josh, Feb 6, 2015.

1. #1 MT09josh, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    Hey guys,

Came across this a while ago, thought it is worth sharing.
    I really like it, and after watching it I try and apply this philosophy to my riding.
    I think it's a great explanation of a sort of rule to apply to yourself to keep you safe but still let yourself have fun.
    Anyway hope yas like it, but if ya don't That's cool

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Just thought it might be good for someone to see. Learning techniques is great and important. but sometimes its the way you approach your riding that can really help you move forward.
  3. Nice video, thanks for sharing!

I typically ride at 100% of my ability - 2% of the time and 30% of my ability for the remaining 98%. I've been called unorthodox before.

$2500Euro for a tour!?!
  4. Hahaha, that's a lot of percentages, took me a couple of reads to work out what you were saying!

Yeah musta been a big tour! Everything included I guess, bike, gear, guide, accom, food etc.
    the guy, royal Jordanian, has a pretty awesome YouTube Channel. Very popular
  5. Oh! You get the bike too!

That would sort of take the fun out of it, not sharing the experience with my own bike. :S

Going to have to check out his channel, cheers man.
  6. OTOH, the slower you ride, the more complacent and less focussed you are. Far more likely to slip into survival reactions for situations you wouldn't if you were pushing harder.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. That's what I like about this philosophy. It doesn't necessarily mean 'go slow'. It's just knowing your limits and riding a bit below them. For some that may be slow. For others it will be still fast. But yeah just an idea I like, not everyone will agree. Which is cool.
  8. I could say more but I'll leave it at an anecdote. I've been in situations where I encountered an issue with the road. Going faster and pushing it a bit, it was no issue, bike had a head shake, stayed focussed and got around fine. Now, the next time I did that road, I knew it was there, but this time because I backed off for it, I focussed on it far more, froze up and badly target fixated. Obviously I did exactly what I shouldn't have done, but the difference was in the second instance I gave myself the opportunity to fcuk up and my brain seized on it. In the first, it wasn't even an option, just ride through it and get around the corner was the mentality.

A while back now, Roarin made a similar post that due to the limitations of the site's search function is now long lost. It was to the effect of: he doesn't hang around and he doesn't consider crashes an option. That's not to say he hasn't crashed, nor that he doesn't have the arse clenching moments, but he knows to ride through it instead of ticking all 7 boxes of survival reactions.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeah I understand what you're saying. But if you were riding at 100% that first time. Like 100% of your ability, the conditions, the bikes capability in your hands. You may have crashed. But since you were 'pushing a bit' maybe you were closer to 70 or 80% with that bit left over to get you outta trouble.
    I dunno I wasn't there. But I get what you're saying. We can't just ride around trying not to crash. That's no fun. But for myself most times I will ride that bit within myself most of the time just in case I need that bit extra.
  10. The rider in this video is not a safe rider.
    He has had multiple accidents with broken bones to prove it.
    He even thought for a moment to ride up between those 2 trucks, then his ego/stupidity got the better of him and done a illegal move up the side of the Truck.
    Then towards the end of the video, his lines are poorly planed, leading to his little moment.
    He says in his video that everyone has a wrist connected to his brain etc. I think his wrist is connected to his brain all right, but with a few cells missing.
    Maybe 70% stupid.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Haha did you hear the part when he said he doesn't preach or judge?
    Maybe you should try that.
    Two of the accidents werent entirely his fault either. For someone that rides as much as he does, he's done ok. Either way, you don't know the bloke And his philosophy is still a good one.
  12. Also he hasn't crashed since riding with this rule.
  13. And we all know correllation equals causation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. It probably comes down to what type of rider you are more than any one rule to follow, but having a guideline is always nice.
    Applying a single rule-set to two different people, one that is patient and one without patience will more than likely have very different outcomes. You can make huge errors even riding within 10% of your riding capacity.

In my experience, the effect of those errors are compounded by riding at higher capacities, usually because there is speed involved, or someone is at risk (no helmet) You can't really tell anyone how to ride, not that they won't listen, but we all ride differently even following the same rules.

Still, nothing wrong with advising people to ride within their limits.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The 7/10ths on the road thing is twice as old as dirt, but it's good that someone eventually mentioned it to the guy after multiple offs still weren't thought-provoking enough along those lines for him.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. yeah and Roarin no longer rides
    real shame he was a great rider and a fun bloke
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Good video, being a learner I totally understand what his saying.
  18. Riding at or below 7/10ths is about margins. At these speeds there's usually margin/fat in the available traction/braking/reaction time/suspension etc etc to absorb and forgive errors. This can lull riders into a false sense of confidence.

Bringing your 7/10th approach and skills to sportier/lively riding higher can cause problems. When the speed or technical difficulty goes up, the available margins are reduced and the bike becomes much less forgiving to errors or poorly applied technique. e.g., your typical lazy or inefficient steering input gets you around a particular corner fine, but step up the speed and it will see you running wide.
  19. So if your riding around at 70% of your ability ! are you improving your riding ? ?
  20. Riding with something in reserve for when the shit hits the fan is nothing new, most of us are doing it whether we acknowledge it or not.

Riding at 70% and practicing good technique will make you a better rider than riding at closer to 100% with shit technique.

My wife and I were out riding through the Nasho a few weeks ago and we are approaching the 15km/h corner before bald hill. Approaching the corner some shit head in a onesie on his P's over takes me but is to close to the blind corner to attempt passing my wife.

My wife keeps her head up with a wide line, tips in late and pulls about 40 something through the corner... shit head in the onesie right up my wife's arse wriggles on the seat like he forgot to wipe his arse, sticks out his knee approaches the corner far to tight tips in far to early and pulls about 10km/h through the corner making at least 2 speed and steering corrections as he does so and running wide. my wife had a good 50m or more distance on him by time he was able to roll on the throttle.

My wife's riding will and has continued to improve, I doubt shit head in the onsie has improved much doing it all wrong at close to his maximum ability.

As your riding improves 70% of your skill is more than it was 12months ago, 2 years ago, 10 years ago...

I do think putting some arbitrary number on it is a little silly, its as simple as just having a little in reserve, and you can quantify it by saying to yourself while riding how fast can I stop at this speed? can I change my line if I need to?

If you have never practiced these things how do you know if you can? how do you know what your limitations are? you don't need to ride at 100% to find your limits.
    • Like Like x 1