Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

The $4000US Helmet is here.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by aussieak, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Who's the 1st to buy one

2. more dollars then sense??
  3. I better buy one of @Takamii helmets before he sees this and puts the price up LOL
  4. hmm are Tak's 100% carbon fibre?
  5. You can win one at Revzilla.com......if you're lucky.
  6. you have to buy it 1st and cross your fingers you win the refund. Pass. the 4K will go into my upgrade bike I think
  7. These helmets have been available for about 2 years now

its also 20 grams heavier than my helmets and costs 7 times more

they "talk" it up a bit more than they should

smoked diffusers - I have the same thing

The use 6k carbon weave for the checkered look

shrugs I dont have the marketing money and history arai has
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hi All,

The following is not a bias opinion because of my partnership in Rhok. I come from a background in composite materials using carbon, kevlar, glass and many other hybrids. Each fibre has certain qualities which makes very good for CERTAIN PURPOSES.

Carbon Fibre is a beautiful looking material which is designed purely to be super rigid making it great for masts, panels, boats, bicycle frames and surfboard stiffening inlays etc. It weighs the same as the other materials and is only lighter because less of it needs to be used to acquire a certain rigidity. The downside is that it is like window glass...... very hard and stiff but also very brittle and as such has poor puncture resistance.

Kevlar is an ugly fibre, highly susceptible to sunlight but is incredibly durable, puncture and abrasion resistant. It is used in most of the above applications beneath the carbon (out of the sun) to add qualities where carbon fails. It is also used in jeans and bullet proof vests because of its tear and puncture resistance.

Adding two materials like this together is known as a composite and serves to utilise the best properties of each material to gain the desired type of strength and fill in the holes where the other material fails. In metallurgy this is called an alloy. Mixtures of metals are blended to combine the best properties of each material. Mag wheels are an alloy of Magnesium and Aluminium. Aluminium on its own would be far lighter but way too soft. Magnesium would be super strong but way to heavy and brittle. Alloyed together, these two metals combine the lightness and malleability of Aluminium with the strength of Magnesium creating and excellent material for wheel construction. Similarly, using carbon and kevlar in a helmet combines a rigid and light shell with puncture and abrasion resistance. Using one or the other on its own would not create the desired effect for a safe helmet. Kevlar cloth is no cheaper than carbon cloth and in fact is actually a lot harder to work with.... cost savings is certainly is not a factor in its use.

For the above reasons we will always continue to use kevlar in our helmets unless a better material becomes available. I also know that if we were to use "pure carbon" (which does have a nice ring to it) we would never pass certain elements of the Australian Standards test.

I do however like the look of coarse weave carbon used in the $4000 helmet. I'd be interested to see if people prefer the look of it to the twill weave we currently use. If enough people like it I'll do some research and determine if it is strong enough for our purposes.

• Like Like x 1