Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thankyou Australia for not being completely insane

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Hair-raising ruling: Denmark says that both men and women's haircuts must cost the SAME PRICE

• Board of Equal Treatment effectively ruled price differences were illegal
    • Hairdresses have called the decision absurd, warning of 'pricing chaos'
    • The decision has been appealed and a court will decide if salons need a new way to charge for services
    PUBLISHED: 17:39 GMT, 21 January 2013 | UPDATED: 17:40 GMT, 21 January 2013

Denmark, which like its Nordic neighbours prides itself on promoting equal treatment for men and women, has taken gender equality all the way to the beauty salon.
    A ruling last month by Denmark's Board of Equal Treatment effectively stated that price differences between men's and women's haircuts were illegal.
    It ordered a salon advertising women's haircuts for 528 crowns - £59 - and men's haircuts for 428 crowns - £48 - plus an extra fee for long hair, to pay 2,500 crowns - £281- to a woman who had filed a complaint.

Hair-raising decision: Denmark's Board of Equal Treatment effectively ruled last month that price differences between men's and women's haircuts were illegal

Now, a trade organisation for hairdressers has called the decision absurd, saying it will become a nightmare to set prices for customers and warning of 'pricing chaos'.
    'It takes, quite simply, longer time with women,' said Connie Mikkelsen, chairwoman of the Danish organisation for independent hairdressers and cosmeticians.
    The board's decision has been appealed and a court will determine whether hairdressers need to find a new way to charge for their services, in the length of time, or the standard of the cut.

'Measuring time will lead to a discussion of hair length - what is medium length, and what is long. It will end in a series of conflicts with customers,' Mikkelsen said.
    Nordic countries consistently hold some of the highest rankings in global gender equality indices.
    Denmark ranked seventh out of 135 countries in the World Economic Forum's global gender gap index which benchmarks national gender gaps on economic, political, education and health criteria.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2265959/Denmark-rules-men-womens-haircuts-cost-SAME-PRICE.html#ixzz2JXwkvuqd
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  2. I've started to see on some sites XL/2XL/3XL etc shirts are now costing anywhere from 99c to $3 more.
  3. I'm not sure why they dont just charge based on time. My hair would take less time to cut than most male hair cuts. Its the 2 hours of other stuff I get done that costs the $$
  4. Why does it take 2 hours to apply and rip off some wax?
  5. hahaha that's an hour but it wasn't what I was talking about.
  6. I guess it depends how much wax is required:bolt:
  7. And besides, my hairdresser doesn't do my waxing. I mean, in the middle of an open salon? Scary stuff!
  8. I think he's hoping
  9. I dunno if this counts as off-topic, but....

This morning, my wife had set up her laptop connected to her work computer, before heading off to a meeting, so she was home, but reading work e-mails.

She told me that she got an e-mail from a (female) friend, asking for sponsorship based on that lady shaving off her hair for some Good Cause.

When I told my wife that I was rather offended by this, since I have, for many years now, shaved my head, cheeks, etc. leaving only a wee goatee beard, she was surprised and incredulous.

(See... I confuse even my wife, and we've been married for 30 odd years!):)

Anyhow, I found it a wee bit offensive that someone is offering to do something so drastic that "deserves" some cash contribution, which other folk consider a normal part of life.

Back on topic, I suppose this means that folk visiting Denmark, and who knows how many other EU countries, should be a bit canny about getting estimates before going for haircuts.

I wonder how much (and where) the Danish barbers are supposed to charge for a shave?
  10. I can't be arsed googling it but I believe this matter went before an equal opportunities hearing in NSW in the late 90's or early 00's.
    A bird with a long haired girly man boyfriend weren't happy with the disparity in price.
    They didn't have any success.
  11. When I was in Rio the party tickets were about 25% less for females.
  12. This "equal opportunities" stuff is a complete load of bullshit, just like all of those ridiculous cases where ugly lesbians would have us believe that not funding IVF treatment for them is a violation of their "human rights".
  13. Were they for the females with a penis ?
  14. Well maybe this is why there are so many of them in Rio. Hell I'd dress like a chick to save $50 going to a festival.
  15. Valid point.
    Just get your hair done while you still look like a guy though
  16. I'm sure Damian would do it for you if you ask nicely...
  17. and miss the girl on girl action?
  18. Fair point... I stand corrected.
  19. Nice pair of mens shoes $150ish. Nice pair of womens shoes with half the leather $300ish. And we could go on.

I just put it down to most women being dumb enough to continually keep paying inflated prices. Probably goes too far back in history to be able to change it now.
  20. These sort of laws, much like the ridiculous "Equal Pay" laws, are stupid.
    All that will happen is that the men will simply end up paying a higher price for a haircut.