Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Thanks for the sandwich bud

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Snicko, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Scene:
    On my way to work this morning coming down La Trobe St, sitting in the right lane, at the top end near Victoria Parade, coming up to the Exhibition St intersection.

As I'm coming down the hill, still probably 200m from the intersection itself I spot a potential bingle: car slowing down with indicator on about to turn left and a nice shiny Subaru Liberty sitting right up it's arse wishing the person would hurry up and turn already.

Nearing closer to the intersection I cover my brakes slow a tad (probably going 5k's over coming down the hill) and prepare for the Subi to do exactly what it looked as though it was about to do.

Probably 15 meters away from the rear end of the Subi in the right lane (still travelling probably 40-50 after slowing a bit anticipating), Mr Impatient decided to do a, no headcheck, no mirror, no indication merge to go around the still left turning vehicle in front.

Watching the blokes hands move the wheel without indicating made me grab a handful of front and a tad of rear to try and stop or avoid being squished, but being still relatively new to riding, I hadn't been put in the position where I had to grab HEAPS of brake. Anywhoo, I was probably next to this blokes fuel cap at this stage when he continues merging still not noticing, pushing me into the bars and gutter of the -middle of the road tram stop- thingo squishing me and making the bike jump from gutter to car. After passing the tram stop and the car moving back into the left I fly off a bit into the middle of the road (on the tram tracks) in amazment I wasn't put down and adrenaline going nuts. I recover, come back into the right lane, next to the guy that looked as though he was about to keep driving, and signalled him to pull over, which he mouthed "I am" or something similar (took your time, you just passed about 10 car spots on the side of the road!).

Anyway, getting off the bike, hands shaking a tad, I inspected my bike as well as I could, as he steps out and says "Are you right?" to which I bluntly said "yeah". Not too sure why I didn't go off my nut but being on my way to work, priority was work, not having a verbal on the side of the road in high 30 degree weather. Anyway Mr Libery, gives no apology, didn't admit to being at fault, nothing, was silent until I demanded details. Took some snaps of the side of his car, and had another look at the bike making sure forks still looked straight and pottered off to work still shaken.

Still not happy, and am going to have the everything inspected properly to make sure forks fehked and the like. Thinking about it now in hindsight, I probably should have anticipated what was about to happen far before it did. Whether it was the heat, or the inexperience I'm not too sure.

EDIT*** Going back on google maps and looking at the tram stop in which the bloke made me get friendly with, there are little gaps about half a meter long seperating it for pedestrians I'm assuming to walk through. Considering how hard I got whacked in the gutter/bars of the tram stop, luckily I was pushed into one of the gaps. Surely would have come off from that.
  2. it sounds like you were very lucky.

You did well to notice a potential "situation" before it happened.
    It's not always possible to anticipate every moron on the road though, so don't beat yourself up over it.
  3. Damn!!! Bad, bad luck snicko but +1 for watching and anticipating the worst - and reacting when the time came.

Considering how shaken up you were, you kept your wits about you at the scene, and I also think you've done a very smart thing by writing down what happened while it is still fresh in your mind.

Hope this guy does the decent thing and does whatever is needed to get your bike fixed at no expense to you.

4. Ouch! Well done for staying upright.

On the "not saying sorry bit" I hope there was a witness or someone around you grabbed? These kind of things turn very ugly when it comes to them paying out their insurance.....
  5. I didn't even think about getting a witness. After I travelled another 200meters away from the intersection waiting for the guy to pull over, my main concern was, "I'm going to be late for work...". ](*,)
  6. I wouldn't worry too much about him not apologising, most people are taught in an accident never admit fault or apologise no matter how obvious the at fault is.

It's good that you saw it and prepared, things could have been a lot worse. But unfortunately this will make you rerun the scenario over and over again about ways you could have avoided it, but atleast your uninjured and your bike doesnt sound hurt.
  7. Sounds like you were very lucky. There's a saying along the lines of: You start off with a bag full of luck & an empty bag of experience: the trick is to fill one before the other empties.

It sounds like you were sitting in his blind spot, which is a terrible place to be.

Along with anticipating others actions on the road, you also need to put yourself in a safe position on the road.

A good lesson, probably not one you'll forget in a hurry!
  8. Definitely feel as though I could have come away with a quite injured bike other than slight scratches, an not to mention some personal injuries.

However MV if you re-read original post. I was not in his blind spot UNTIL he decided he would pull out without indicating. I was had noticed him and the slowing car in front far before he pulled out and only once in his blind spot about to pass did he decide to not headcheck and be impatient, pulling out in front to go around the guy in front.
  9. Yeah, you learn to see those coming after you've been riding a while. You'll assume everyone is impatient and will move to avoid delays and get themselves a foot further ahead in traffic. You'll naturally start to buffer and change your position to keep visible.

Get your bike and yourself the once over and keep riding.
  10. One lesson you might learn is that in that area there is traffic going everywhere with numpties at the wheel. You say you slowed to 5k over - take it slower than that around the city. This is one incident you probably could have prevented.
  11. well....you anticpated correctly, pretty much knew it was going to happen, but still managed NOT to avoid it?...
    You should ask yourself, "why is that"?

(not having a go at you...I just don't understand why you did'nt avoid the problem when you knew what was coming?)
  12. My apologies, I misread.

You were in his blind spot when it counted though, by the sounds of it.

Not having a go at you, but as others have stated, you anticipated the act, you should have had time to avoid.
  13. Stupid double post...
  14. regarding witnesses: This happened at a tram stop, just go back there at the same time the next day, or the next week and ask anyone waiting if they saw it. Bound to be some commuters.
  15. Might be worth practicing not only emergency braking, but emergency braking whilst using the horn at the same time.

The horn won't work everytime admittedly, but it doesn't hurt to try. At the very least it might draw the attention of other road users and increase the odds of finding a witness.
  16. 5k over? I have been riding 11 years (every day as no car) and where there is heavy traffic I stick to the speed limit or less. Assume you have not been seen each time you pass a car. Out of the hundreds of times I have had close calls, most were avoided because I expected it.

Most bike accidents are the fault of the rider...... too fast, splitting lanes while cars are moving, and one that has saved me a few times, racing from the lights. These days too many cars go late through red lights. When a light turns green, I do a quick check left and right.

Anyway, as others above have mentioned, experience helps. But going slow in built up traffic gives you a better chance than speeding. Leave that for back roads!

Use this as a reminder what can happen when you speed, many don't get a 2nd chance, you, me and many others are lucky to still be here. This close call may actually have saved your life(in the future)!

Regards and happy riding

17. I can never understand people who drive in the left lane in the city if they want to go straight at the following intersection. I mean, do people not know why the shit we *have* hook turns!? Ok, you probably don't need to answer that...

In a situation like that I usually slow right down until there's plenty of space between me and the car in front (and the impending retardation). Or sometimes I'll speed up if it's safe and ride up closer to the car in front - then back off as soon as I'm at the driver's front quarter of the danger car.
  18. Don't think I mentioned the traffic conditions but turning onto La Trobe, it was me, and up ahead was Mr Impatient and the dawdler slow turner in front of him. Other than that as I turned the corner I checked my mirrors and there was one car that followed me about 20 meters back. But beyond exhibition only a few cars at each intersection following the scene site. It's was roughly 10:30am when it happened and not very busy at all.