Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Texting tanks drivers skills.

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Bicycles Vic report on something we all know... an on track in-car study in Texas confirms that texting makes drivers less safe.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

http://www.bv.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/10731/

Texting tanks driver skills

8 December 2011. A new study using driversnon a driving circuit has found that texting makes drivers eleven times more likely to not see safety-critical objects along the road.
    And when they did observe, their reaction times were twice as slow as drivers who were not distracted. This is far worse then previously thought.
    The study was conducted by the Texas Transport Institute at the Texas A&M University on a test track circuit.
    Each participant navigated a test-track course involving both an open section and a section lined with construction barrels. Drivers first drove the course without texting and then undertook texting tasks while driving through the course again.
    Throughout the test-track exercise, each participant’s reaction time to a periodic flashing light was recorded.
    Reaction times with no texting activity were typically between one and two seconds. Reaction times while texting, however, were at least three to four seconds. Worse yet, drivers were more than 11 times more likely to miss the flashing light altogether when they were texting.
    This finding has major implications for bike riders. It is clear that a driver's ability to observe a rider is shockingly reduced if they are texting.
    In addition to the reaction-time element, researchers also measured each driver’s ability to maintain proper lane position and a constant speed. Major findings further documented the impairment of texting when compared to the controlled driving conditions.
    Drivers were less able to:

• safely maintain their position in the driving lane when they were texting, and their swerving was worse in the open sections of the course than in the barreled sections.
    • maintain a constant speed while texting, tending to slow down in an effort to reduce the demand of the multiple tasks. By slowing down, a driver gains more time to correct for driving errors (such as the tendency to swerve while texting). Speed variance was also greater for texting drivers than for non texting drivers.
    This research, which is still underway, will produce one of the first and only studies in the nation conducted in an actual driving environment.
    That distinction is important, researchers say, because while simulators are useful, the dynamics of an actual vehicle are different, and some driver cues can’t be replicated in a simulator. By using a closed course, researchers can create an environment similar to real-world driving conditions while providing a high degree of safety for the participants.

20 per cent of all fatal crashes

“Most research on texting and driving has been limited to driving simulators. This study involved participants driving an actual vehicle,” researcher Christine Yager says.
    “So one of the more important things we know now that we didn’t know before is that response times are even slower than we previously thought.”
    The researchers also examined the productivity level of each driver, measuring the amount of texting activity they could perform while driving. Drivers were generally able to complete about half the exercise content behind the wheel compared to what they could do in a lab setting.
    “There’s a general assumption by some people who believe they’re being more productive if they’re exchanging messages while they drive because they’re performing two tasks at once,” Cooper says. “But our findings suggest that the productivity level for each of those tasks drops to less than half what it should be. That indicates to us that texting while driving is not only unsafe, it’s also inefficient.”
    The researchers say that another finding from the study dispels a common misconception that composing a text message is a more demanding task than reading one. In post-study interviews, a majority of study participants held that belief, but study results found significant impairment from both reading and writing.
    The findings of this study extend to other distracting activities involving reading and writing, such as checking email or Facebook, while driving.
    In the interest of safety for both participants and the research staff, researchers minimised the complexity of the driving task, using a straight-line course that contained no hills, traffic or potential conflicts other than the construction-zone barrels.
    Consequently, the driving demands that participants encountered were considerably lower than those they would encounter under real-world conditions.
    “It is frightening,” the researchers wrote, “to think of how much more poorly our participants may have performed if the driving conditions were more consistent with routine driving.”
    US statistics suggest that distracted driving contributes to as much as 20 percent of all fatal crashes, and that cell phones constitute the primary source of driver distraction.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Even worse with touch-screen phones nowadays, at least before with the buttoned phones they could somewhat feel what they were doing. I see so many people wobbling around single lane 80kmph roads and think 'are they ****ing drunk?' next set of lights they're looking down at their phone.... I shudder to think what'd happen if they drifted just a foot more over than they do.

There are bluetooth headsets which now read out text-messages to the driver as well. Not sure if that is really responsible as they may try to send the reply but at the same time at least they're not reading it, and according to that study that's just as bad!

3. and something we didn;t know is ?

We have the police inventing new ways to extract $ from innocent motorists with stupid exhaust noise/emissions rubbish, and here is a potentially HUGE revenue stream.

If only the police (who would see this as often as you ro I do) would bother to pull these people over and issue a ticket. I have seen people blatantly texting when police cars are next to them, or near them in stop-start traffic they are that oblivious. Worse, the cops don't seem to bother doing anything about it......

Anyone else need a soapbox now I'm finished with it ?

4. moderately offended someone got paid for this particular study~

5. Probably because the cops are too busy playing with their in-car computer terminals to get time to look out of the window

6. I was on the WRR the other day, left lane, traveling through one of the roadwork areas and all of a sudden needed to jump on the brakes hard. Traffic suddenly bunched up.

There was no where to go, cars to the right, concrete to the left... I was fearing a rear ender... Luckily none happened. The box car effect got down to 30ish km/h on an 80kmh road. I thought, must be a prang... then see up ahead that traffic is violently merging right and soon after see that they are merging around a brown ford... There was no accident... The numpty woman driver was handling her phone with her eyes off the road. Her car was wobbling forward at slow speed. What a ****. Almost caused a pile up and certain injury... For what?!

7. so she could text someone

"lol just caused a pile up"

8. Tell me about it. Where do people find these jobs???

9. I'll trump the phone texting and raise one stupid woman on her iPad ](*,)

She did look a bit sheepish when she saw me alongside in Spring Street, then the next lights she pulled up with iPhone and iPad, trying to link the two [-(

10. I'm trumped. What a stupid thing to be doing.

11. I can trump both of those.
    Riding home on the F3 in Sydney at 120 km/h, guy on a motorbike with 3/4 cargo pants, pulls off his left glove, reaches into to his pocket, and pulls out a phone. I assume he was texting because he had out for about 3-4 mins. Puts it back in his pocket, puts his glove on and continues like it is nothing out of the norm.
    I thought, I can't believe I just saw that. Then about 5 mins later repeats the process.

I wish I had my camera on as it would have made a great you tube video

12. Thats quite skillfull.

13. Sorry, I didn't read anything past 120km/h. I was aghast that you hadn't self combusted in a kitten fueled explosive inferno.

;)

Yep, trumped.

14. Used to work in a warehouse with lots of long haulers coming and going. One driver told me he saw a guy going down F3 in his car, starkers, batting for a century.

15. I wonder if I could get funding for a study into whether pissing on researchers makes them damp and angry or not?

16. Pissing on researchers... it's called peer review.

17. HA HA HA, so who is up for "reviewing" some of MUARC's researchers? (or doesn't it count if you are not one of their "peers")

18. #18 dezmonster, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    If you liked that check this out crazy mericans 2:27 in is the guy to
    watch.......... what a champion :rolleyes:[media=youtube]qFiOITXtRVM[/media]

19. #19 tsim, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015