Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Texas to increase Speed Limit to 80mph (130kph)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by dan, Aug 31, 2005.

1. According to the ads we see on tellie, everyone in Texas should have a car accident as as soon as this law is passed. :roll:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9071756/

80 MPH will soon be reality on hundres of miles of west Texas interstates

Several hundred miles of Interstates 10 and 20 in west Texas will soon have the highest posted speed limits in the country, 1200 WOAI news reported today.

A measure which takes effect next month will allow Tex-DOT to raise the speed limit to 80 miles an hour on Interstate 10 between Kerr and Culverson counties, and on Interstate 20 in Ward and Culberson counties.

"Those stretches of highway are pretty isolated and pretty long, and they're actually designed for that speed of travel," State Rep Pete Gallego (D-Alpine) who wrote the new law, told 1200 WOAI news.

Gallego says he expects Tex-DOT to erect the first "SPEED LIMIT 80" signs in west Texas 'within six weeks,' and he added 'I want to be there when that happens.'

The speed limit in rural west Texas was raised to 70 miles per hour after the national 55 mile an hour speed limit was lifted in December of 1995. In 1999, the limit in west Texas and elsewhere was raised to 75 miles an hour.

"One of the fascinating things we've already learned from raising the speed limit from 70 to 75 is that the accident and fatality rate has actually gone down in those counties, because people get where they're going faster."

The 80 mile an hour limit would be the highest posted speed limit in the country. Arizona law allows speed limits of 'no more than 85 miles an hour' but no highway in Arizona has an 85 mile an hour speed limit, and a measure to raise the speed limits from 75 to 80 on rural stretches on Interstate 10 in that state died in the legislature.

Gallego concedes that raising the speed limit is not the best way to save gasoline, but he is philosophical about that.

"Driving 80 is not a mandate. You don't have to drive 80. If you think it will save gasoline, you can drive 55 through west Texas if you want to. 80 is just the maximum speed you can drive."

Gallego points out that under the ambitious 'Trans Texas Corridor' plan proposed by Governor Perry becomes reality, all of the 'Trans Texas Corridor' highways will have posted speed limits of 85 miles an hour.

2. Cool, hopefully some other States will copy and then we'll get some raised limits over here *cough cough*

:)

3. Given that a bloke being caught doing 140kph on the freeway is a newsworthy crime, (unfounded) public perception seems to be that 130kph is too dangerous (thanks to years of advertising and indoctrination by the government).

Without widespread awareness from the public about the true issues behind speed, we have absolutely no hope of getting sensible speed limits in this country.

4. But if someone makes a start......

5. screw wating for that (id have had to give up riding a long time before due to old arthur)
    Mai Daddy told me Im movin ta Texas!!!!!

6. In a state with more gun deaths than Iwo Jima I'm surprised they even notice road casualties..............

7. In the Uk motorways the limit is also 80mph and they generally only have 2-3 lanes .
    Since being on the roads here and having so many lanes on the freeway i often wondered why the limit was so low. But then riding along the freeway and seeing some crazy lane changing its no wonder. Like mario kart out there sometimes.
    Undertaking is a big no no in UK. A bit scary to a new rider who's not used to it too i might add.

8. But who will protect the CHILDREN?????

Don't hold your breath guys, we're contributing too much money for all these lovely state govt fcukers to have it lowered. Plus the heads of police are spineless political appointments too concerned with their pensions than with sensible and effective policeing.

9. About time we had some 130 kph speed limits here in Australia

10. ......or anything else sensible from our governments. Why aren't we the laughing-stock of the world when we have 20 million people, and three levels of govenrment, and three duplicated levels of bureaucracy?? Half the country is unemployed on some damned benefit or other, and the other half works for a government producing nothing of any concrete use..... mutter mutter mutter.

11. yeah, well YOU'D say that wouldn't you?????? :D
    Ahh the heck with it, let's have 130 MPH speed limits, that way what I did yesterday up near Walcha would be legal!! (oops, did I say that out loud??)

12. I think I'll move to Texas..

From tomorrow lane filtering is legal there for motorcycles as well...

TonyE

13. With the record number of guns in the US owned in Texas, there's no way on God's green earth that I'd lane-split, legal or not!!!

14. I think you've been watching Easy Rider too many times. :LOL:

15. Enjoy

http://www.kidsandguns.org/study/states_deaths.asp?Texas

There were a total of 32,436 people killed by guns in the United States in 1997. Of these:

* 17,566 (54%) were gun suicides
    * 12,942 (40%) were gun homicides
    * 981 (3%) were unintentional or "accidental" shootings3

More than 11 children and teenagers, ages 19 and under, were killed with guns every day.4

16. No corners in Texas... you'll have to buy a Busa, and then you'll have to lower it and bolt on a six-foot swingarm with a 500-section rear tyre and a turbo... then you'll have to get busy with the polishing wheel and decide which design of nekkid laydeez you'd like airbrushed onto the tank.

17. And, by the time you've finished doing that, you're too beat to ride it and you;re too scared some tool will scratch it anyway.

18. Ride it? naaw...If you'r in Texas you put it on a trailer behind your Winnebago and take it to show people.....

19. WHAT!!!!!!! The speed limit here isnt 130 kph??????

hehe

20. Whats this limit you speak of?Isnt it only a recommended speed? :D