Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Testing Helmets For Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ryangus, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Would it be possible for retailers to install a big mofo fan for wind noise testing? i.e. you try on a helmet and stand in front of it?

Would this work, and if so, why don't retailers do it?
  2. Because then no one would buy the helmets that produce a ridiculous amount of wind noise.
  3. Cynical, but probably true!
  4. no helmet will ever protect your ears enough to prevent the need for ear plugs on longer trips. If your not wearing earplugs then i hope your hearing is already shot because otherwise your damaging it quite significantly.

Buy something that fits well, generally the more expensive brands are quieter as the air vents and such are better designed. Also one of those windstop garter things i hear is a good idea, most of the noise comes up from under your ears, i know shoei makes one for their helmets.
  5. that aside, you are highlighting the real problem of buying a helmet; you can't road-test a helmet. And it gets worse than that. If you sit on a lounge in the store, buy it, and then decide you don't like it when you get it home, you can exchange it for another product. If you buy a helmet, take it out of the shop, and then take it back in, you get nothing; as soon as you take possession of it you cannot return it.
    Resellers are damned if they do and damned if they don't, however. They can't offer road-tests, but then they are the worst in the world when the buyer can't return a product that fits ok in the shop, but roars like an Airbus on take-off 50 metres down the road....
  6. A fan or wind-tunnel wouldn't help that much anyway. You'd hear the sound of the motor as well as the sound of the wind. And it would take up a HUGE amount of space if you wanted to install a wind tunnel that could provide airflow at 100 kph.

Earmould ear plugs are the go as far as I'm concerned.
  7. Should start buying helmets during a cyclone and tell the seller you'll duck out for a second haha.

Maybe the store should have drop top convertibles with a slightly raised rear bench seat. It'll be a funny sight to see 2 people with helmets sitting in the rear moving their heads about trying to figure out the wind noise.
  8. A hilarious idea, but it doesn't address the issue that you can try a helmet on, but if you take it out of the shop to test it, it's sold......
  9. Well if suppliers believe in thier products, why not supply demo models?
    Surely if someone had a demo model and asked to leave a deposit or pay for it in full for a test ride, some would do it?
    Those who don't have nothing to complain about as they had the chance.
    If you like it, walk back in with the demo, hand it over and they give you a brand new one, done.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. You make a good point. We test ride the bikes so why not the helmets.
  11. Agreed, while still not cheap a demo could be provided cheaper provided it would not have to be painted with any format of graphic or clear coat but could just be the base helmet.
  12. it IS a good idea, but it couldn't be done....

every dealer would have to carry one of every model in every size FOR DEMO OR TRIAL; these could not be sold, so they would be dead stock. No-one could afford that.
  13. You didn't read did you...tsk tsk

If suppliers want to move stock, suppliers would provide dealers with the demo helmets at no cost. Maybe they could structure thier dealers as premium dealers who would then have to carry X range to gain the use of demo units.

Put it this way, stock is sitting on the shelves, generally every size in a particular model, this stock is used for fitting purposes and sometimes sold.
    It's not rocket science (well maybe for some), you'd utilise these fitting helmets as the demo helmets and not sell them at all.

Sure, some of the low end brands probably wouldn't do it due to costs, but maybe they would as they cater for a large portion of the market and volume is key. But you can't really expect too much from a sub $3-400 helmet anyway.
  14. The other issue with trying on helmets is that the aerodynamics of a bike effect the 'performance' of a helmet.

I had an AGV XVent (Godard Replica) years ago when I had my GSX600F. It was brilliant, well vented, and very comfortable. Then I bought a new bike, Bandit 1200. The previously brilliant AGV instantly turned in to the helmet from hell. At speeds in excess of 80 it would try to lift my head off and the brilliant venting simply created a crap load of wind noise.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Probably be easier if someone could just come up with some sort of rating system for helmet wind noise to provide some degree of comparison. Bit like the energy star rating on appliances (even if that is a somewhat flawed system).

Cost should be easy to offset by the manufacturers themselves, since it'd make an easy way for them to demonstrate their product is superior to cheaper brands (if indeed it does have a lower wind noise).
  16. But what would they use to test the wind noise? There's almost too many variables and they'd leave themselves open to "I bought this helmet because you said it had low wind noise, well on my 2300cc cruiser without a screen there's lots of wind noise".
  17. I had the same experience, Mick. My Vemar flip-front was brilliant on the Hornet, but sounded like a tornado when I was on the VFR. The Shark Vision R is dead quiet on the VFR.......
  18. I'm sure the safety, hygiene and insurance risks would be too great for a shop to manage. Who knows what a customer will do to a helmet when they're on the demo? The shop may end up with a demo that's been thrown at the ground several times for 'testing', internally damaged etc which would be a huge risk.
    The only possible work around would be a lengthy legal disclaimer which I doubt would go down very well with customers...

Just do you're online research, read reviews etc and hope for the best.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. http://crash.org.au/comfort-level.html

read the last paragraph
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Which is what happens now with the energy star ratings. However as a comparative system against no helmet in the same situation, rather than an outright quantitative one (like the noise in this helmet will be less than x db), it'd still be better than nothing.